View Full Version : My HDTV CRT set, version 2.1

wa2ise
08-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Got a slightly bigger CRT VGA monitor (20 inches diagional measured like a TV set) and put it in that old RCA CTC19 console cabinet I had. The monitor is driven by a Samsung ATSC receiver box, at 1080i 60Hz. I had to muck with the monitor a little, to get the brightness down a bit. Turns out all the CRT gun adjustments are done digitally (no trimpots) :( And the "screen" adjustment on the flyback was glued stuck. So I used a pair of high resistance resistors 66meg and 80 meg in series to load down the G2 screen voltage down a little to get the brightness more suitable for TV work. I think all that I did was to parallel to ground some extra resistance to the screen trimpot.
http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171412&stc=1&d=1314328797
To get the 16 by 9 aspect ratio closer to something vaguely resembling correct, I reduced the vertical and slid it up some. And slightly overscanned the horizontal. I stuck the old RCA emblem that says "New Vista Color" on the CRT face center in the dead region.
Was watching reports of predicted hurricanamagedden that is coming to the USA east coast.

Electronic M
08-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Cool, yet sorta sad to see a nice old console with a modern set crammed in.

wa2ise
08-25-2011, 10:24 PM
The original chassis and CRT was long gone.

Electronic M
08-26-2011, 01:03 AM
That is a horse of another color, but still that awesome cabbinet is just asking for an original set of guts to be found and installed IMHO.

I have a cool 50's cabinet that is set up simualrly (but I don't have the benifit knowing the make/model to simplify my long trem quest to make it whole) so I can understand what/why you did that to your set.

vintagecollect
08-26-2011, 01:54 AM
Great project Wise! I will gladly call you that since you always think of the most clever concepts. I sadly missed the chance a few years ago to get a last generation samsung tv, mabe HD, not sure. The crt would of done a great picture. Was pricey, never seen one like it since.

AWESOME idea HD digital using CRT clarity , resembles plasma display?

MelodyMaster
08-26-2011, 09:11 AM
I have a 1951 17" Motorola which unfortunately was a victim of a flood, then was left uncleaned for several years. You can imagine the condition of the chassis! Everything is coated with green mold. The bakelite case is still in good condition. I'm considering taking out the guts of a 19" Dell CRT monitor and mounting it all in this case. The menu buttons would go behind the drop down cover for the vertical, horizontal, focus controls etc. and the volume now would still be a volume knob and the channel changer would be a binary counter control, 128 steps. Something will have to be fabricated to hold the picture tube, but the original mask could still be used..There's plenty of room to mount everything including a tuner, and an amplifier connected to the existing speaker. I'm not a TV aquarium abuser by any means, but seeing colour HD on the screen of what looks like a classic (and common) Motorola tabletop would be cool...