View Full Version : Where'd all the Betamaxes go?

Harvestman
08-23-2011, 06:16 PM
I've been browsing this forum for a bit, and was wondering about something.

What has happened to all the Betamax tapes? They seem to be virtually impossible to find in any condition, anywhere. I think I've seen a grand total of one tape in 5 years at the local Goodwill.

Have most of them just been thrown out due to their technology being obscure and obsolete? I'm just wondering why they're so hard to find compared to VHSes, which are everywhere. (I know the production run was much longer for VHS tapes, but even the ones from the early '80s are still somewhat common.)

Thanks,
Peter

holmesuser01
08-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I see them occasionally at the thrift stores. Usually top loader Sanyo's, but now and then, I'll see a Zenith, or a Toshiba.

I've got a Sony SL-HF900 that works like a dream.

jr_tech
08-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Tons of tapes on eBay, Perhaps there is little incentive to donate them to a thrift store anymore, as they might bring in a few bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=beta+tapes&_sacat=See-All-Categories

jr

Electronic M
08-24-2011, 02:13 AM
I've bought 3 tapes at local thrifts. 2 were the gone with the wind boxset, and the other was a tape commerating the statue of liberty's centennial still in it's original shrink wrap!
I've got some recording tape too the first beta tape I ever had came from a local tv repair shop, and the rest came with decks bought at radio swap meets.
They are out there just not often in bulk lots.

dieseljeep
08-24-2011, 08:54 AM
I think most of the beta Toshiba, NEC and Sanyo VCR's have been junked. At least, those are the ones I had the most grief with. I picked up a nice Sony SL2300 for a buck, about a year ago. I heard that model was the BOTL at the time, but super reliable.

Electronic M
08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
My two best working betas are sanyo and toshiba made units, and my three worst are Zenith and sony made units

Zenith26kc20
08-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Sony SL-2000, Zenith (really a Sony SL-2000) VR9800, Sony SL10 and a few I can't remember the numbers of. Sony SL-2000 is the daily driver. Very reliable! Tapes come from thrift stores and Goodwill. Movies from our favorite auction site...