View Full Version : Small mid Century Emerson combo on eBAy

Eric H
08-19-2011, 04:09 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-50s-EMERSON-Vacuum-Tube-TV-Phonograph-Radio-/310338687505?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4841a09211

Mansfield OH

miniman82
08-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Cute!

zenithfan1
08-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Kawaii desu!:thmbsp:

Jeffhs
08-19-2011, 02:03 PM
The seller cannot get a picture on the TV in this combo (assuming the set works otherwise, such as producing a full raster and receiving snow on unused channels) because analog TV has ended in the US, and he may be trying to get reception using just the set's built-in antenna. The set will work with a converter box and a proper antenna, of course, but the seller does not seem to realize that. However, if by "cannot get a picture" he is referring to no raster or some other problem unrelated to the set's signal circuits (sweep, HV, etc.), it may be an easy repair, just by changing a tube or two.

BTW, the record changer in this combo looks like a rebadged Glaser-Steers changer. I recognized it because my dad had one almost exactly like the one in the combo in his stereo system in the late '50s-'60s, the only difference being that my dad's GS changer was black on a black base. This changer had a feature not found in other record changers of that era: the "Speed Minder", which sensed the size of the record(s) being played and would change the turntable speed accordingly; for example, if a stack of records containing a variety of albums/singles, including 45s, was put on the changer, it would sense the size of the 33 1/3 LP and set the speed to that value; when that record ended and the changer sensed a 7" 45-rpm disk, the Speed Minder would change the turntable speed accordingly. The sensor was a metal piece shaped like the number 4, just behind and slightly to the left of the tone arm; it gently touched each record just before the changer released it to the turntable, after which the mechanism changed the speed.

Until I saw the changer in the Emerson combo we are discussing, my dad's GS changer was the only record changer I had ever seen which set turntable speed according to record size. This was truly a unique and probably one-of-a-kind system; as I said above, however, the changer in this combo was probably a rebadged GS unit -- which leads me to another question. Glaser-Steers almost certainly had a patent on the Speed-Minder feature of its high-end record changers; how was it possible to rebadge these changers without running smack into patent infringement issues? :scratch2:

AUdubon5425
08-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Glaser-Steers had contracts to manufacture changers for several companies. I've seen them badged as Capehart, Packard Bell, Emerson, Philco and Heathkit. I'm sure there were a few more. Eventually, General Electric bought them (1964?) and killed off the GS-77. I believe the G.E. built changers were based off of the GS-3000 model, which operated much like a V-M of the day.