View Full Version : Curtis-Mathes/Zenith

radiotvnut
08-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Someone just brought me a Curtis-Mathes console, from '94, to fix. And, this TV is obviously a rebadged Zenith. I know that the earlier CM solid state sets were rebadged NEC and there were some rebadged RCA's in the late '80's; but, CM must have been scraping the bottom of the barrel when they started using Zenith as a supplier.

Carmine
08-12-2011, 02:05 PM
The fix for that TV may be as simple as adding a digital-to-analog converter box, because older TVs cannot process the new digital signals. Hope this helps.

zenith2134
08-12-2011, 02:27 PM
I must agree regarding the late eighties and early nineties Zenith sets....really bad tubes and mediocre cab's/chassis. I remember finding a 1986 Color Sentry 19" on the curb.. it powered up but the flip-down keypad was inop. Those ribbon connectors were all torn up...what a headache. Plus there was obvious video smearing on channels I could access...Back to the curb she went.

NEC on the other hand, seems like a solid bet through the 80s...and even today they make LED sets with innoivative features such as a (!) carbon emission calculator....very unique stuff.

RobtWB
08-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Here are 3 of those 80's era CM branded sets with NEC electronics.
Only have 1 of the consoles left, gave one away to someone who needed it.
Amazing pictures today even after more than a quarter of a century.

radiotvnut
08-18-2011, 12:32 PM
I got around to opening this one and it's all Zenith, down to the horrible A68ACT00X CRT; which, is dead. I told the owner and he said to junk it. By this time, CM's slogan really should have read, "Expensive and damn well NOT worth it". If CM was still offering a 5 year warranty on their CRT's by this time, I can understand what drove them under.

radiotvnut
08-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Normally, I'll try to rejuvenate a weak tube; but, since these tubes were trash to begin with, I didn't even bother. If it came up at all, it would probably either fall back down in a short time period or arc and burn up the power supply. Then, I'd have an angry customer on my hands. So, it's just best to let this one go.

rcaman
08-18-2011, 10:04 PM
i never liked anything curtis mathis sold. all plastic and particle board. and way the hell to much money for a cabinet built of sawdust. steve

ChrisW6ATV
08-19-2011, 02:26 PM
In the 1990s, I had one of the NEC-branded "monitor TVs" (tech/industrial look with a piece of glass covering almost the entire front area) from about 1984-85. I was not impressed with its picture, especially compared with a real Sony Profeel. Edge enhancement, fair-to-average high-voltage regulation (which makes objects on the screen change position as the rest of the content changes), and limited contrast ability.