View Full Version : Wire for repairing HV problems

maxhifi
08-09-2011, 07:35 PM
In my "new" Silvertone, the wire between the 6BK4 plate, and HV rectifier filament has lost its ability to insulate, and is arcing. Shows up as random snow in the picture... had to have the chassis out, and lights off to see it.

Has anyone here bought this stuff off eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/10ft-30KV-18AWG-Red-High-Voltage-Wire-Cable-Stranded-/360385321304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e8a39958

Looks like it would work, and give me lots of extra for future.

miniman82
08-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Looks like a good choice, but I hate buying from China so I normally scavenge used wire from BPC sets. They usually have enough wire to tackle at least 2 old sets.

maxhifi
08-09-2011, 09:24 PM
buying from china isn't so bad... I recently bought a new keyboard for my friend's laptop directly from hong kong... It cost 17 dollars plus 3 to ship it. Maybe a quarter the price of buying locally, and works great.

ctc17
08-09-2011, 10:14 PM
buying from china is the ultimate sin! and i bet the insulation would fail in 5 years. Try and find an old computer monitor or solid state set and harvest the wire. Much better stuff and its usually rated 50kv

maxhifi
08-09-2011, 11:54 PM
buying from china is the ultimate sin! and i bet the insulation would fail in 5 years. Try and find an old computer monitor or solid state set and harvest the wire. Much better stuff and its usually rated 50kv

Nah, the ultimate sin is being a lazy idiot who throws everything out instead of bothering to learn anything about how to maintain or repair. The quality of consumer goods has been adjusted to that mindset, and people like us are lost on the way. I have no doubt that if the "consumer" demanded quality goods which last forever, and for a higher price, that's what we would get.

If the wire is really crap though, I will find something better - I used to go out of my way to try and avoid Chinese products, but in this day and age you can't even buy an extension cord which is made in north america.

zenith2134
08-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Buying from china isn't a sin. Having said that, I don't buy from china. Got burned on an EF91 hybrid headphone amplifier once, and had to eat the shipping to and from (~45 dollars). No thanks!