View Full Version : Zenith 19" half dark, Half bright

Cruiseomatic
08-09-2011, 03:11 AM
My 1979 Zenith L1908C 19" model works perfect except the picture. Left half is dark and right half is bright. Fades from one to the other. Secondly, When numbers or symbols are on the screen, there is a shaddow of the same color going towards both ends.
What could cause this? I have'nt had the back off yet.
Thanks.

andy
08-09-2011, 10:42 AM

radiotvnut
08-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Yes, 10uf, 315 volt cap near the flyback transformer (on the 9-160 power supply/sweep module). I've seen the problem many times. You can replace the cap with one with a higher working voltage. In fact, that's what I'd recommend doing, just to have a little more margin of safety.

Cruiseomatic
08-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm not near the set, What size socket do I need to remove the cover and where can I find a schematic to do this? I can get the cap locally and be quality part. Looked for the schematic and got some funky results. I'm just glad its something "simply and easy" and not crt failure or catastrophic failure of a part that cannot be replaced.
Not to mention, When i push the "AFC" button on the front, Nothing happens.
Thanks guys.

radiotvnut
08-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Unless someone has mismatched some screws, you'll need a 1/4" nutdriver to remove the back cover. You shouldn't need a schematic for this job. The cap that's bad sill be at the rear of the board, next to the flyback transformer.

TV Engineer
08-10-2011, 08:48 AM
It will also have crust around the base of it...

freakaftr8
08-11-2011, 01:45 AM
Lol, I had the same set and same problem back in 2007. Thats how I came across this site (of course at the time it was AudioKarma).

How cool! And yep you guys gave me the same answer to the issue and it fixed it!
Awww, I miss the old days. Careless and free and......... Well anyway, married with a little girl now. Hard to find the time to tinker anymore.
(of course that CTC-11 is calling my name in the other room to work on)