View Full Version : Photo finish: my solution!

miniman82
08-06-2011, 03:09 PM
So it's finally time to deal with the shabby cabinet on the CTC-7 I acquired from Seattle a while ago, which has the typical cracked/crazed faux wood photo finish. There was pretty much no hope of touching it up with pencils or anything like that, so it's time for something a little more intensive...

I hit it with a heat gun first to basically burn off the old plastic, then scraped it off with an ordinary paint scraper.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171221&d=1312661286
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171222&d=1312661286
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171223&d=1312661286
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171224&d=1312661286
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171225&d=1312661286

miniman82
08-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Next, I went over it with 220 grit on the random orbital sander to remove what was left. Result? Bare wood, but it will never be totally clear of the old residue. Hence a trip to Menards, for 3 rolls of very nice cherry veneer. Once all the old stuff has been stripped off I will apply the veneer, stain, then clear poly till it looks like glass. All the brass will be hand polished and reinstalled, the end result I hope will be a stunning cabinet that will dazzle anyone who sees it.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171226&d=1312661471
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171227&d=1312661471

miniman82
08-06-2011, 03:18 PM
The top alone took me just over an hour to do, I suppose it will take me maybe another 4-6 hours to be completely done with the whole thing. This really needs to be done outside, since the smoke from burning the plastic off is pretty acrid and doesn't smell too good. Who knows what it's really made of after all, I wouldn't be the least bit surprized if it were toxic. :sigh:

kvflyer
08-06-2011, 03:51 PM
I am glad that you have attempted this project and are sharing it with us. I think that my CTC-9C would benefit from a real mahogany veneer instead of the photofinish?

ohohyodafarted
08-06-2011, 04:38 PM
WoW! Nick, Once again you have shown that you are not affraid to tread where others have been hesitant.

I don't know if you have ever done veneer before. There are 2 methods that I know of for adhering the veneer.

Method one uses several coats of PVA glue on both surfaces and allowed to fully dry. Then you place the two surfaces together and iron the veneer with a household iron to melt the PVA glue and stick the veneer to the cabinet. I tried this method and it works pretty well. I suggest experimenting before you try it full on with your subject cabinet. The nice thing about this method is that you can position your piece of veneer precisely prior to hitting it with the iron and get a perfect fit with no mistakes.

Method two is the contact cement method we are all familiar with. Coat both surfaces with contact cement, wait till dry to the touch and then sitck the veneer down. This method does not allow for repositioning so where the pieces come together is what you are stuck with. IN most cases, you will be trimming off the excess anyhow so it won't matter.

I think either bonding method will work for what you are going to do.

This fall I will be visiting John Folsom and we will be doing Oak veneer on his Admiral Ambasador blonde set that is in worse shape than your CTC7 was. Glad to see there is a nice method of pealing off the crappy photo finish.

Do you hve any opinions on how you think the photo finishes were applied and what they were made from? I have always been curious about the process of photo finish, but have never been able to find any information on how this process was accomplished. I often wonder if it was an early form, or an offshoot of the Formica laminate process which is actually printed on paper and then compressed into a melamine sandwich.

miniman82
08-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Method two is the contact cement method we are all familiar with. Coat both surfaces with contact cement, wait till dry to the touch and then sitck the veneer down. This method does not allow for repositioning so where the pieces come together is what you are stuck with. IN most cases, you will be trimming off the excess anyhow so it won't matter.

Method 2 is the one I will use, since this paper-backed veneer has instructions to that effect. I have a pint can of cement, hopefully it will be enough. Raw veneer can use either method, and there is also a third type with adhesive already on it- you simply pull off the backing paper and stick it down. Doesn't sound very permanent though, more like something you would do if you were covering a desk on the cheap.

Do you have any opinions on how you think the photo finishes were applied and what they were made from? I have always been curious about the process of photo finish, but have never been able to find any information on how this process was accomplished. I often wonder if it was an early form, or an offshoot of the Formica laminate process which is actually printed on paper and then compressed into a melamine sandwich.

I was thinking the same thing, Bob. It's either bonded plastic/formica, or they literally applied the liquid plastic directly on to the wood in layers depending on the image they were using a la early bubble jet printing process. Under the fake wood image, it's more or less this reddish colored crud that's left over. That's the stuff I had to sand down. Perhaps that was the color of bonding agent they were using, or just the base upon which they applied the faux wood design? You know, something like a base layer of mahogany color with black for the simulated wood grain.

miniman82
08-06-2011, 05:14 PM
A second thought: perhaps the reddish stuff was photo sensitive, and they simply exposed it to a negative which had the wood pattern on it after it was applied to the cabinet? It smells nasty enough to be nearly anything...

Phil Nelson
08-06-2011, 05:53 PM
how you think the photo finishes were applied and what they were made from?
I suspect that different types were used over time. The earliest radio cabinet photo finishes look like paper to me. Scratch the surface and you expose white paper underneath. On those, it's not so much the top layer as the underlying glue that's beastly to get off.

Later types like what's on my 1958 Miss America look much more plasticky to my eye. Could be anything, as miniman82 says. There are many kinds of plastic!

Phil Nelson

Eric H
08-07-2011, 02:34 AM
Interesting post, I have the same set (The Anderson aka Mr Anderson) in the same ratty condition and was planning to do basically the same thing, however I was planning on veneering right over the existing whatever it is, I like your method of stripping it down to bare wood better though.

I thought the plastic veneer was Formica or a relative of it, Melamine perhaps?
I don't know if Melamine and Formica are related but they seem similar in some ways.

Would it be easier to just sand it off with some 80 grit or would that take even longer? I certainly wouldn't breath the dust if I tried it. :no:

miniman82
08-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Would it be easier to just sand it off with some 80 grit or would that take even longer? I certainly wouldn't breath the dust if I tried it. :no:

The top and front of the set has a much thicker coating than the sides do, so the heat gun method works a lot better there. Burn it, then scrape it off. The sides are a little different because the coating is so thin, it doesn't bubble up as much. Also much easier to burn the wood underneath if you hold the heat in one spot for too long. It's better on the sides to use a wide razor- chase the gun with the razor to warm the stuff up, then the blade will scrape it off easily. It's actually a lot like paint removal on the sides, where the top is like burning off a layer of something.

If you wanted, the sides would probably sand off pretty easily but the top and front are too thick. It would take forever to get through it all. I also noticed that the top is 'real wood' underneath, where the sides look like this sort of fiber board. Easy to go overboard with sanding there, so watch what you do.

I should be completely done removing all the photo finish later today, then I'll post pics of what it all looks like.

Phil Nelson
08-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I was planning on veneering right over the existing
What's the downside to doing that? Seems simpler than removing the old stuff, if that's stuck on so hard it has to be torched off. You could give it a light sanding to make sure the new veneer adheres.

Phil Nelson

earlyfilm
08-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Oops! Intended to correct a typo and double posted.

earlyfilm
08-07-2011, 03:06 PM
A second thought: perhaps the reddish stuff was photo sensitive, and they simply exposed it to a negative which had the wood pattern on it after it was applied to the cabinet? ..

If they had used that method, the wood would have absorbed both the developer and fixer and washing them out would have been next to impossible. The finish would have quickly turned an ugly yellowish brown from the remaining chemicals and destroyed the image.

Most fake grain during the 30's to 80's were printed. If you look very closely at it, you will see the half-tone grid used in the printing process.

An alternate process was simply applying a lighter base coat and sliding a rotating roughlty groved roller coated with a darker color to fake the grain. This method looks too crude for most TV's, but for large wall panels, it works.

Jas.

ohohyodafarted
08-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Phill,

The only downside that I see is if you have large areas on the top where the old finish has pealed off, you will have an uneven surface. Then then after you apply veneer you may see some variations in the flatness of the surface. But that can be taken care of by applying bondo to even out the old surface before you apply the veneer.

You would also want to make sure that whatever old finish that is left on the set is well adhered so that you have a good solid surface to glue the new veneer to. Otherwise I guess you could go right over the old surface.

Kevin Kuehn
08-07-2011, 05:39 PM
I think the material you’re removing is a printed vinyl product- still in extensive use on low-end furniture today. Thermofilm is a common name associated with kitchen cabinet doors. It’s a heat press application. It will shrink and conform to irregular surfaces. Remember all the cheap wood grain paneling back in the 70's-80's? -Same kind of stuff. Some of it even has wood grain molded in. I think you can still get vinyl woodgrain covered moldings at home centers.

miniman82
08-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Almost done...

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171242&d=1312761671

And now for the modification this set has always needed:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171243&d=1312761671

That's right, she's going topless! :D

Seriously though, it's a PITA trying to converge sets like this with a mirror. I've always felt that the older sets with removable top were a lot easier to work on (especially ones with vertical chassis), and all it took was removing a few screws and a couple hammer blows to get it off. Now I have to add some strategically placed bracing, make sure it will clear the chassis, and put it back together. I have a length of 1" square oak already ripped to size, but I won't be able to get back to this till 2 weeks from now.

Electronic M
08-08-2011, 10:51 PM
I have a 59 Zenith blond set that has what seems to be printed paper covered in toner lacker. The lacker has degraded in a couple of spotts and when it does it becomes sticky and adheres the paper to whatever is in contact with such that anyting touching a badspot will take the entire photo finish off!

Once I get to learning cabbinet work this will be some where on my list.

Tom C.

miniman82
08-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Update, as promised.

Got the new brace installed so the cab won't be all weak, and applied the first of many pieces of veneer. Top looks pretty good now, but holy smokes does that contact cement STINK! :yuck:

Tomorrow, I'll be finishing up the rest of the sanding. Then if I have any time left, I may apply some veneer to the side of the cabinet. Looks good so far, no?

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171353&d=1313900801
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171354&d=1313900801
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171355&d=1313900801

ohohyodafarted
08-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Looking good Nick! Are you going to leave the plywood core unfinished or are you going to edge band those? Or are the cores concealed?

I agree with you on the contact cement fumes. Watch out for those vapors, they are extremely flamable, unless you are using the non-flamable type. Back in the 70's I was recovering the kitchen cabinets in my home and the pilot light in the stove caused the vapors to flash over to the piece I was working on and I had a very nasty fire for about 30 seconds till I grabed the fire extinguisher and put it out. The house was filled with soot and smoke. I spent the next several days cleaning up the mess and washing walls.

After that experience I have since used the non-flamable version. It's a lot more costly, but once you experience fire you become a lot more cautious.

miniman82
08-21-2011, 12:10 PM
I think this is the non-flammable version, it was pricey stuff. I think I'll leave the edges of the wood unfinished, I don't think it'll look too bad. Then again, I already have plenty of little strips left over that would be perfect for that task...

WCF720
08-21-2011, 08:23 PM
If it stinks, it's likely the good stuff and it is expensive regardless! It's like paint strippers too; if it's "environmentally friendly", or "green" it's guaranteed to suck. If it burns your hands, has all sorts of precautions on the container, it's the good stuff and will work well! Contact cement is nasty to use in a house, better left to outdoor activities...

As for the end grain; tone it a few shades darker than the cabinet finish unless your leaving it natural and then you might want to consider some veneer strips to cover the end grain. Cabinet makers rarely finished the ends or routed edge parts of a cabinets, rather they toned the ends a little darker to cover the fact it's low grade hard wood cores -- common on radio cabinets anyhow... The cabinet looks great!

miniman82
08-21-2011, 11:35 PM
It's like paint strippers too; if it's "environmentally friendly", or "green" it's guaranteed to suck.

I hear that! Back when I first enlisted in the Navy, we had a solvent tank full of this nasty ass stuff that would cause you to just about hallucinate if you had it on your skin for long enough. Bad shite, but you couldn't beat it for busting grease off aircraft parts. A year or so later, they switched to some enviro-friendly hippy-crap stuff, and it didn't work worth a piss!

There are things in life worth paying good money for, here's my short list:

Toilet paper: quilted please, the comfort of my buttonhole is of utmost importance!

Chemicals/paint: if you get the cheap crap, you'll work twice as hard to finish the job.

Electronic parts: because if it fails, it seldom goes alone or quietly... This mostly applies to capacitors, but everything can fall into the category.

Engine parts: particularly internals, since no one likes to see a cheap Chinese connecting rod peering back at you through the block. I work with air cooled VW's, and skimping on internal parts is a pet peeve. Sometimes you don't have a choice, but if you have the cash buy American every time!

miniman82
09-06-2011, 11:56 AM
More progress finally.

Got the sides all sanded, they are ready to accept the next round of veneer. Got the left side done, just needs to be trimmed.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171520&d=1315328012

There we go, much better! Here's with the top.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171521&d=1315328012

Now off to do the right side, possibly get going on the front if it. Front will have to be done in sections, because it's so wide. Hopefully I can grain match well enough that it looks like a continuous piece. After that, it's on to grain sealing and staining.

miniman82
09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Right side veneer has been applied, still need to cut out the holes for the controls. Tomorrow I will tackle the front, which will need to be done in 2 sections because of the width. It's a lot wider than the sides. I will also paint the entries to the picture tube and speaker in a black gloss paint, and finish the edges on the top of the cabinet. Then will come grain filler and dark mahogany stain. I plan to use the same high gloss poly as the other cabinets, the result should be very nice.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171534&d=1315347861

miniman82
09-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Entryways into the pix tube and speaker are now painted with 2 coats of high gloss black oil based paint. Now off to the hardware store to buy grain filler, then the fabric store to find a suitable replacement for the old grille cloth. Also, I have settled on painting a gold stripe around the cabinet where there's currently a beveled edge. I was going to try and apply veneer there, but it's far too small an area and I anticipated great difficulty. It would have involved 6 strips of 1/8" veneer, applied in 2 sections. I think the gold paint will look just as good, RCA often painted gold stripes onto their cabinets as accents.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171539&d=1315416712

miniman82
09-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Covered the speaker mounting board with the thinnest foam I could find, then glued it in place. It will help keep the cloth nice and taught, as opposed to the old way which simply draped it over the board to get saggy. It's much the same thing as auto manufactures use on headliners, except that here the board will help keep the fabric tight.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171549&d=1315460146

First 2 pics I took looked exactly the same to the camera though they were completely different fabric, so I'll only post one pic to describe them both.

First a nylon or somesuch cloth, very thin but also very modern looking. I think it will clash with the fact that this TV is from the 50's, since it's something you are used to seeing on cheap 90's throwaway electronics. Soundesign or Spark-O-Matic ring any bells? Not very classy at all, definitely 3rd on my list. :thumbsdn:

Second one was something called 'Duck', but it just looks like plain black canvas to me. This was a heavier fabric, and didn't seem to fit in either. It didn't look bad at all, just that I think it's woven too tightly for this application. My second choice.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171550&d=1315460146

Finally, what I thought would be my last choice actually ended up being my first- plain black cheap ass burlap. Now this is something I had not considered at all, but got it anyway for comparison purposes. I actually ended up liking it the most, because the fibers are farther apart just like the original was. It's neutral, doesn't draw attention and it's something I could actually see RCA using on their sets back in the day. Maybe I could find a big gold 'Deluxe' script for the middle, what do you guys think? :scratch2:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171552&d=1315460146

Electronic M
09-08-2011, 12:43 PM
I think the third one is best too.

I'd be tempted to keep the finish a light wallnut or blond color to contrast the speaker fabric if I was in your shoes. That would make for a nice 50's modern look IMHO.

Tom C.

miniman82
09-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Nah, I got 2 cans of red mahogany stain burning a hole in my pocket. Plus, I already did the legs. lol

miniman82
09-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Finally, all the veneer has been applied and my poor throbbing back can get a rest. Cut out all the holes for the controls on the side, so it's looking like tomorrow will finally be the day I apply the stain. Then a day of drying, sanding sealer and finally clear poly. :thmbsp:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171566&d=1315548417

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171567&d=1315548417

I was very proud of myself today, I was able to actually get these curved parts done perfectly. I had been dreading it, but learned that it's best to cut close to the edge then finish up by sanding the rest down flush.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171568&d=1315548417

mstaton
09-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Lookin good! My CTC-5 has A photo finish. It looks good enough for now.

Kevin Kuehn
09-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Cabinet is looking great. Was the original cloth to far gone to re-use? There are some nice reproduction guitar amp patterns that would look pretty sharp with the dark mahogany finish. I'm thinking pattern FA 1045, FA 1050,
or DF6002 would go very well with your sets gold trim. I'm afraid black could end up looking like a big dark hole. Of course it's all a matter of personal taste.

http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech10.html

miniman82
09-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Hmm, that FA1045 looks yummy. Yes, the original stuff was toast and it looked horrid anyway. I'd rather have 70's shag carpet than the stuff this thing originally had.

Kevin Kuehn
09-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Hmm, that FA1045 looks yummy.

I agree, that would really look sharp with your sets gold trim.

I don't have any of that one, but here's what the Oxblood/Gold looks like against my CTC-11's mahogany cabinet. FYI this stuff is a very open plastic thread weave, so you need to paint the speaker board a matching color.

miniman82
09-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Well the fabric is an easy thing to change, so if I need to I can swap it out in like 10 minutes.

Here's what the legs look like now. Simply chuck the leg up in a drill by the threads, then apply Testor's gold flake model paint with a small brush while rotating it around. The back 2 did not get any gold trim, only the front. My CTC-4 is the same way, so I figured why go to the trouble when you can't see them anyway? Also had to buy new nylon feet, the old ones were toast.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171574&d=1315592512

miniman82
09-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Well that was abortive, the gold paint slid right off as soon as I put poly on it. lol

Time for plan 2, just need some time to think what plan 2 is.

2 Sides have now been stained, just the top and left side to go.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171586&d=1315614867

Electronic M
09-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Two ideas. If you can get the brass pieces off you could send them to a metal polisher (if you do that lacker them after wards to prevent future tarnishing), or have them plated.

Green would also be a nice cabinet complementing color for the grill cloth(I was waiting to see the stain color to comment on that).

Tom C.

ohohyodafarted
09-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Well that was abortive, the gold paint slid right off as soon as I put poly on it. lol

Time for plan 2, just need some time to think what plan 2 is.

2 Sides have now been stained, just the top and left side to go.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171586&d=1315614867

Nick,

You need a lacquer paint for the gold. Poly is enamel and it will not strip lacquer. However you cant go the other way. If you put gold enamel (like Testors) first then apply enamel or lacquer, you will take the gold off. Use lacquer first then enamel can go over the lacquer.

Kevin Kuehn
09-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Most of those brass ferrules originally had a brushed finish on them. Why not stick them on a leg, chuck it in a drill, and steel wool or emery cloth the finish back? Then you can clear coat with poly. :scratch2:

Stain looking good.

miniman82
09-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Because they were all beyond repair, cracked and corroded to hell. I'll look for a different paint, since that was working great till it sloughed off. lol

Kevin Kuehn
09-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Oh, ok. Guess I need to pay closer attention.

miniman82
10-09-2011, 06:22 PM
First pass of sanding sealer, I can tell it's gonna look great when completed. The top appearing darker is because there was more light over the cabinet, they are the same shade when viewed in the same light.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171823&d=1318202450
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171824&d=1318202450

miniman82
11-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Front now has 2 coats of poly on it, the woodgrain is really starting to pop. I think the front will get block sanded with fine grit one more time, then a final coat of poly. Gonna look sweet behind that shiny RCA logo. :thmbsp:

Ignore the smudges, they are not in the finish (only finger oil).

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172168&d=1321144087
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172169&d=1321144087

I had to remove a section of veneer on the right side of the cabinet, because it started to bubble and lift off. I figured I might have to redo that piece anyway, since it didn't take stain very well and ended up too light. I have just enough left over to replace that section, luckily. 3 out of 4 legs are now done as well, they turned out very nice. I figure 2 or 3 more weekends worth of work and this will be done.

PhilcoNTTS
11-13-2011, 02:11 AM
Excellent methods , sounds like great craftsmanship;

TRY THIS; INFORMATIVE, AND FAIRLY ACCURATE- (THEY MAKE IT LOOK EASIER THAN IT IS)
www.xrestore.com/Pages/FauxWoodGrain.htm
Here is the whole scoop on the Photo Finish: It is a series of painting, glaze, and methods of application of glaze with a stiff brush, (after period of getting jelly like)- ( then fine, (real fine------ sand paper. )
Let's put it this way; much like walking from Portland to Seattle , vs , taking a 1/2 hour airline trip. (modern methods)- commonly used on old clocks; Here you go- Good reading, with web address:)

Faux Wood Grain Finish: Simulated wood finishes, created using paint, were common on many clock cases manufactured in the later part of the 1800's. Small "cottage" clocks as well as large "Triple-Decker" shelf clocks used this finish technique to reduce the use of expensive imported veneers.
Genuine veneers were combined with the faux finish such that it was difficult to tell where genuine ended and faux started. On this cottage clock case, the red arrows point to genuine rosewood veneer while the green arrows point to faux rosewood.

After 100 years or more of use, storage and moving, most of these clock cases show considerable wear and damage. With real veneer, you can often find matching "new" veneer to make your repairs. This isn't possible with a faux finish. To restore this finish, you must be able to reproduce the original grain using paints.

Repairing or recreating faux wood finishes is accomplished using "glazes" which are nothing more than paints that have been thinned to the point of translucence. The techniques necessary to create authentic looking faux finishes are not difficult to master and require no special tools. Practice pieces (4 x 8 inches) can be cut from thin paneling or door-skin and used to perfect technique.

Materials: Faux wood grain does not require a large investment in tools or supplies but it is important to gather up the needed materials and get organized before the first attempt. The following are basic materials you will need.
My Philco was Mahogany; (Golden Grid ) - I was able to avoid doing a big "Faux finish"

MY PIC ATTACHED-

miniman82
11-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Lots more progress, since I'll be at the house for the next few days.

So far, I attached a new section of veneer on the right side and stained it. Then I was able to apply the first pass of poly to the left side, so tomorrow when it's dry I'll go over it with fine grit and do the second pass. Left side turned out very nice, you can really see the grain popping.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172275&d=1322275578

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172276&d=1322275578

Still left to do is the application of sanding sealer to the right side, then it will be ready for the first pass of clear poly. It's getting to the home stretch now!

Penthode
11-25-2011, 09:26 PM
The effort is really making it look good. The cabinet work is time consuming but the results are worthwhile!

miniman82
11-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Yes, it's very time consuming! Although I could have had this done weeks ago, if I was able to work on it in the garage vice having to do this in my folk's basement in Beloit.

Anyway, left side is done and it looks great. I just applied sanding sealer to the right side, when I wake up in the AM I'll steel wool it and apply the first coat of poly. I'm thinking one more weekend's worth of work and I'll be able to take it home. :banana:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172284&d=1322370093
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172285&d=1322370093
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172286&d=1322370093

zenithfan1
11-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Lookin' great, Nick!! ;3

Penthode
11-28-2011, 11:37 PM
It does look like hard work. But it looks really good.

I think you have reached the stage that will induce you to want to complete the job!

I could not see from the photos but did you get the corner veneer edge mating you wanted to achieve?

miniman82
12-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Cabinet is more or less done, all that's left is to paint the gold edge and install the trim pieces. Then the chassis and CRT goes back in, and I make sure everything still works. :thmbsp:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172635&d=1324930416

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172636&d=1324930416

Electronic M
12-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Nice job!:thmbsp:

Of course you know that " reinstall the chassis and check to see that it still works" tends to translate to doing a full setup including purity and convergence.:D

miniman82
12-26-2011, 07:42 PM
My hope is that by pulling the CRT with all the stuff still on it, I won't have to do but a touch up job. I haven't dislodged any of the convergence parts, but anything is possible after many months of sitting around.

miniman82
12-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Back home now, cabinet is coming together! :thmbsp:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172654&d=1325035737

miniman82
01-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Looks like a real set now, just got the CRT installed. Problem I have now is the glass I had made is slightly too large vertically, can it be ground or am I in for a new piece?

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172907&d=1326667285
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172908&d=1326667285

mstaton
01-15-2012, 05:15 PM
A good glass shop should be able do do that. lookin' very nice miniman!

miniman82
01-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Put the chassis back in, didn't even have to touch convergence. Has a pretty nice picture if I do say so myself. Gonna stop by Ace tomorrow, to see if they can trim the glass. If so, it will be completely assembled late in the afternoon. :thmbsp:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172913&d=1326679153

mstaton
01-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Sweet!

miniman82
01-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Ace couldn't do it, but a glass shop down the street hooked me up. While I was in there, I found out they have slightly tinted safety glass. I bought 2 pieces, because I really like the look of these sets with a darker safety glass. It tends to absorb incoming light, making the picture appear to have more contrast. The pics below are with clear glass, I'll have the tinted stuff by this weekend.

Just to recap, here's what I started with:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=168042&d=1282703985

Here it is now:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172920&d=1326768870

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172921&d=1326768870

Off to enjoy watching American Pickers! :thmbsp:

lnx64
01-16-2012, 09:21 PM
That looks SO good I'd spend all the money in my checking account to have one that looks like that!

Great job!

miniman82
01-16-2012, 09:27 PM
PM me your offer! :thmbsp:

Electronic M
01-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Looking good!:thmbsp:

Was the set you tried to sell me for 300$ back before you redid the cabinet?

miniman82
01-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Was the set you tried to sell me for 300$ back before you redid the cabinet?

Which one is that?

Electronic M
01-17-2012, 01:34 PM
It was an RCA upright roundy newer than CTC-5. You had it in your back room back around when you got the prototype color CRT working (I think it was actually the visit before that).

And no I'm not interested in buying another set right now.

miniman82
01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I might be confused, but I think the right answer is: yes, this is that set. Used to have the Philco hybrid metal tabletop sitting on top of it.

miniman82
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM
And finally, the best shot I could get with my camera acting up (sorry no Oz):

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172933&d=1326844282

Komet
01-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Wow!!! Great work and great set!!! :thmbsp:

sampson159
01-17-2012, 06:45 PM
this looks as good as it did when factory fresh.wonderful job and you deserve the outcome!

bandersen
01-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Fantastic job :thmbsp: I hope to move up to color someday :yes:

It can be tough to get both a good shot of the cabinet and picture. I haven't tried it, but I think others have carefully altered the lighting so the cabinet looks good and taken a shot. Then, altered the light so the picture looks good, and photo-shopped them together.

miniman82
01-21-2012, 10:55 AM
That might work, I have Gimp so I'll give that a shot.

Phil Nelson
01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
With the camera on a tripod, turn the TV off to take the "good cabinet" photo in normal room lighting. Then turn on the TV (and turn down the room lights if that helps) and take the "good screen" photo. If you didn't jiggle the camera between shots, then you just copy and paste the screen from the good-screen photo into the good-cabinet photo.

I have done this on occasion when, after dozens of attempts, I couldn't get a screen shot that did justice to a particular TV. My camera nearly always turns a B/W screen blue, so sometimes I capture the screen and grayscale it, then paste it back into the same photo.

The difficult part for me is selecting the screen borders so that they smoothly fit into the bezel on the second photo.

Different cameras with different settings may give very divergent results. Some day I'll quit being stubborn and replace my ancient digital camera with one that can take a good screen shot that doesn't need post processing.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Aussie Bloke
01-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Wow the cabinet now looks so good that the set is as good as coming fresh from the factory, perhaps even better!!! :D Excellent work there on rebuilding the cabinet! :D

lnx64
01-23-2012, 08:30 PM
With the camera on a tripod, turn the TV off to take the "good cabinet" photo in normal room lighting. Then turn on the TV (and turn down the room lights if that helps) and take the "good screen" photo. If you didn't jiggle the camera between shots, then you just copy and paste the screen from the good-screen photo into the good-cabinet photo.

I have done this on occasion when, after dozens of attempts, I couldn't get a screen shot that did justice to a particular TV. My camera nearly always turns a B/W screen blue, so sometimes I capture the screen and grayscale it, then paste it back into the same photo.

The difficult part for me is selecting the screen borders so that they smoothly fit into the bezel on the second photo.

Different cameras with different settings may give very divergent results. Some day I'll quit being stubborn and replace my ancient digital camera with one that can take a good screen shot that doesn't need post processing.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
This is where using HDR techniques might actually make it easier.

miniman82
02-03-2012, 08:38 PM
OK, first attempt at using Gimp so be gentle!

Copied color bars from darkened shot, pasted into bright cabinet shot (used the flash).

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=173198&d=1328322802

mpatoray
02-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Nick,

The set looks great, looks like thats what I am going to have to attempt on the Philco with its damage photo finish.

The colors in the bars look good almost too good, you might be able to make someone think it's HD :)

Matt

miniman82
02-04-2012, 11:29 AM
The colors in the bars look good almost too good, you might be able to make someone think it's HD.

Nope, just a lowly 21CYP22. Only thing I touched up was the glare reflection in the screen, I didn't correct the colors at all.

zenithfan1
02-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Wow, Nick. That really turned out pretty! Great job! I'll have to come see it before you sell it.....if you haven't already:3

mstaton
02-06-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm drooling!

miniman82
02-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Wow, Nick. That really turned out pretty! Great job! I'll have to come see it before you sell it.....if you haven't already:3

I'm always around, stop on by!