View Full Version : Kit chassis on Ebay

mstaton
07-31-2011, 12:47 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Early-1960s-Color-TV-Training-Kit-Tube-Chassis-/260827240985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cba83da19

Too bad it's missing the rest of the parts to finish it.

Kevin Kuehn
07-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Whoever was assembling it did some pretty neat work. Interesting that seller allready has it packaged and ready to ship.

Mal Fuller
07-31-2011, 10:39 AM
This ebay ad marks a second time in 24 hours (the other time was in a post on this forum) that I've seen a deflection yoke referred to as a "yolk."
Eggs have yolks. TV's have yokes (like oxen wear around their necks).

kx250rider
07-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Definitely a weird one! I don't think it's a Heathkit, as I've had several Heathkits, and they're more like a CTC-16-ish layout, or an upright Packard-Bell-type swingout chassis for the all-tube sets. This one looks very 50s, but obviously with Compactron sweep tubes, it's 60s. Or maybe a 50s design originally, and carried over with updates to the tube lineup to the 60s to avoid new licensing fees, or etc...

Charles

DaveWM
07-31-2011, 11:46 AM
looks like it has a pincushion transformer, so a rectanage tube set?

Electronic M
07-31-2011, 12:37 PM
It is a shame that it is unfinished, they were so close to having a color TV too!

Username1
07-31-2011, 08:16 PM
I did the first yolk, and I was thinking about an egg yolk when I typed it.... I was gunna change it but then I figured not that many people are gunna realize that that yolk was the wrong yoke, yoke yoke.

bgadow
07-31-2011, 09:34 PM
I think if I were local (and didn't have to pay the shipping, which seems high) I'd have to grab it. This would be a terrible, terrible headache to get working but, wow, what a challenge!

init4fun
08-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Looking at the quality work done on it , , and the unfinished state its in , , My guess would be that something nasty , , like death , occoured to the builder before he could finish it .....

Somewhere out there , , is a box of parts , and someone is looking in it saying "all we've got here is a tuner , an IF board , and a yoke ... Wonder what they go to ??? " .........

Pete Deksnis
08-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Recall that veterans would finance their first color TV back then with the GI Bill. It could explain the overly neatly dressed wiring. NRI and others had educational programs that centered around the student building a color set to 'learn to be a Color TV technician' and other such come-ons.

Pete

JB5pro
08-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Looking at the quality work done on it , , and the unfinished state its in , , My guess would be that something nasty , , like death , occoured to the builder before he could finish it .....

Somewhere out there , , is a box of parts , and someone is looking in it saying "all we've got here is a tuner , an IF board , and a yoke ... Wonder what they go to ??? " .........

I sense the builder did in fact die during the construction and it is definately haunted. I would stay as far away from that chassis as possible lest you desire the horrors that will surely come to anybody that attempts to finish it. After my medication settles I will "read" even more into it to protect my dear friends here.

Electronic M
08-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Depending on when that kit was originally shiped, the builder may have been drafted off to Vietnam, and either came back dead or disinterested in completeing the project.

Tom C.

old_tv_nut
08-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Having a number of components connected but not yet soldered would be typical of Heathkit instructions, which carefully got everything connected to a particular terminal before saying to solder it. Lower quality kits would often leave it to the builder, resulting in problems if he decided to solder before the last part was in place.

Some of those training programs used kits supplied by Heath. I don't recognize this chassis, but that doesn't mean much, since I am not familiar with their tube sets.

I have to say the wire dressing looks to me like someone carefully following Heathkit instructions.

Mal Fuller
08-02-2011, 06:38 PM
In various posts I keep reading about "wire dressing" and "neat wiring" etc. This has sent me back to the eeeeeeeBay ad several times in search of even one photo of any wiring.
I don't see no stinkin' wiring. I just see sockets and other components bolted to the topside of the chassis. What am I doing wrong?

DaveWM
08-02-2011, 07:24 PM
I saw several under chassis pics, lots of neat wire dress shown.

use the down arrow to scroll down, or hit the enlarge button, will show all the pics.

Findm-Keepm
08-02-2011, 07:51 PM
It's not a Heathkit GR-53:

Link to Google Books Search for Heathkit (http://books.google.com/books?id=_iwDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA110&dq=color+tv+kit&hl=en&ei=Qps4TobFBqj10gG_ipX6Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=color%20tv%20kit&f=false)
Circuitry looks a lot like my CTC16, with the exception of the fly, which looks to be a CTC15 fly.

...edit....it may be a CONAR from NRI, still lookin...
Cheers,

Mal Fuller
08-02-2011, 10:23 PM
I saw several under chassis pics, lots of neat wire dress shown.

use the down arrow to scroll down, or hit the enlarge button, will show all the pics.
Well thanks DaveWM, I had missed the down arrow. Now that I've finally seen under the chassis, that is some neat wiring. I also like the pale green "Black Cat" capacitors, an inventory of those would make for some distinctive re-cap jobs.

NewVista
08-02-2011, 11:18 PM
My '66 Heath catalog still offers the GR-53 roundie as a cheaper alternative to the GR25 rectangular.
The '67 catalog does not offer a budget roundie.