View Full Version : Looking for information on old Admiral Roundie

NJRoadfan
07-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Hello all, browsing grandma's house I ran into a bit of old technology (grandparents houses tend to be good for that!). Sitting in the garage is this Admiral set that according to my grandmother was dragged off the street corner on trash night by my grandfather many decades ago and repaired. The set has sat unused for about 23 years. Any idea what year it might be from? The only interesting thing to note is that there is a label (pictured) that says "Provision for UHF" which may indicate that a UHF tuner was optional.

Unfortunately I do not have the tools or skills (always feared working on CRTs due to voltage) to possibly revive this TV. Sadly, any tools my grandfather might have had including spare tubes and testing equipment are likely long gone. Before anyone asks, no I did not plug it in and attempt to power it on.

JB5pro
07-30-2011, 07:18 AM
It is a 1964 model most likely because UHF became standard equipment for '65 and the control panel looks more modern than earlier models. Excellent find and very worthwhile. This is the best place in the world to help you get it restored completely. When it is repaired properly you will have a picture every pit as pretty and enjoyable as todays best TV's. That technology is much greater than many would ever believe until they see the incredible picture they produce.
Welcome and have fun! There are many great men here that know absolutely everything about your set and all parts are available.
John

Electronic M
07-30-2011, 12:44 PM
If you live near Milwaukee I'd be willing to help you get it working, or buy it from your family.

Judging from the control layout I'd say that your family's set uses an RCA clone chassis (I have a RCA clone with the same control layout as yours).

Those are very nice sets and are worth preserving/restoring.

Tom C.

NJRoadfan
07-30-2011, 01:17 PM
If you live near Milwaukee I'd be willing to help you get it working, or buy it from your family.

Judging from the control layout I'd say that your family's set uses an RCA clone chassis (I have a RCA clone with the same control layout as yours).

Those are very nice sets and are worth preserving/restoring.

The TV is located in Northern NJ, I'm going to have to move it eventually and see what model # I can find on the back, it looks pretty heavy. The single dial controlled VHF and UHF tuning?

David Roper
07-30-2011, 01:41 PM
There's no UHF tuner, just a blank where the knob would go.

As the ads said, UHF was optional; extra :)

magnasonic66
07-30-2011, 04:25 PM
Our 1963 or 64 Philco console had no UHF until our dad bought a tube type converter and antenna, then we could watch CBS!! The building that our local station was in is still up, wasn't built too long before we got the converter.

NJRoadfan
07-30-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm not surprised by the lack of UHF. All the local NYC stations of the major networks were always on VHF. Even after the DTV switchover we still have a few stations on VHF (first time I had to put a UHF antenna to use). I can't seem to locate any period advertisements with this specific TV pictured however, I wonder if there was an optional remote for it.

MelodyMaster
07-30-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm not surprised by the lack of UHF. All the local NYC stations of the major networks were always on VHF. Even after the DTV switchover we still have a few stations on VHF (first time I had to put a UHF antenna to use). I can't seem locate any period advertisements with this specific TV pictured however, I wonder if there was an optional remote for it.

It could be a Canadian Admiral, with a design not shown in US adverts or Sam's manuals. Canadian TVs didn't regularly have UHF until about1965, and many sets were made in southern Ontario for the US market (mainly Ohio and NY.) or imported according to demand.

Admiral made colour sets at the Port Credit Ontario plant starting in 1956. even though Canada didn't have colour until 1967.

bgadow
07-30-2011, 10:37 PM
I would also say 1964. I have a cheaper model Admiral roundie which I think is slightly older (I can't remember, mine might be a '63) but I doubt there is much difference underneath. The controls panels aren't exactly the same but they are close. By this time Admiral had come out with its own chassis which is a lot like an RCA but it is not a clone. For one thing, it is a 'reverse' chassis with the HV cage on the opposite side. That's any easy way to spot it-if, looking from the back, the HV is on the right, it is an RCA. Anyway, this is a nice set to save, especially with its story.

NJRoadfan
08-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Looked at the back of the TV

Model #: C7242AH
Chassis #: 25G6A

Username1
08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
What are the 4 knobs inside the door called?

doogie812
08-07-2011, 12:23 AM
I would say '65 and its a CTC 15 clone.

doogie812
08-07-2011, 12:25 AM
With a newer 21FBP22 CRT.

NJRoadfan
08-07-2011, 12:32 AM
What are the 4 knobs inside the door called?

I'll have to look, but the colored dials above the door are for color, brightness, and tint. One of the lower dials should be for v-hold and perhaps contrast. To clear things up, it definitely has a UHF tuner built in as it has the connectors on the back for an UHF antenna.

bgadow
08-07-2011, 10:34 PM
If it has real UHF connections (not just dummies, which was common-you will need to look with the back off) then it may use UHF "strips". Most VHF tuners consist of a seperate circuit for each channel, made on little strips that can be removed without too much trouble. In many cases individual strips could be removed (for channels not used in your market) and replaced with ones for a UHF station. Not real common, but I have one or two sets that do it that way. Probably cheaper than a UHF tuner.

That model number is included in the Sams Photofact 668-4 which dates from 1963. I think this may have been their last "clone" as my T1000 dates from '64.

TV Engineer
08-10-2011, 08:47 AM
It is a CTC12, and does not have a UHF tuner built in.

There was a kit available from most manufacturers to install a tuner in the knockout in the front of the cabinet, and the tuner may or may not have an IF input on it for that tuner. If it does, the UHF tuner will have one tube, a 6AF4. If it does not, there will be a wafer switch that mounts on the back of the VHF tuner to switch the IF link to either the VHF or UHF tuner, and the UHF tuner will have an IF amp piggybacked onto it that uses two more tubes.

Because there are antenna connections on the back cover of the set does not mean they are connected to a tuner inside, and probably aren't.

dieseljeep
11-26-2012, 09:01 AM
It is a CTC12, and does not have a UHF tuner built in.

There was a kit available from most manufacturers to install a tuner in the knockout in the front of the cabinet, and the tuner may or may not have an IF input on it for that tuner. If it does, the UHF tuner will have one tube, a 6AF4. If it does not, there will be a wafer switch that mounts on the back of the VHF tuner to switch the IF link to either the VHF or UHF tuner, and the UHF tuner will have an IF amp piggybacked onto it that uses two more tubes.

Because there are antenna connections on the back cover of the set does not mean they are connected to a tuner inside, and probably aren't.

I've seen a few of those installations!
I couldn't see why RCA didn't include an input jack in their VHF tuners, like they had in their all channel sets. It would've been a lot cheaper.