View Full Version : My new Predictas are home!

Eric H
07-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Went and picked them up today.
I know the seller, he's another collector and I've dealt with him quite a few times, we always wind up talking for two hours and today was no exception. :yes:

Anyhow here are the pictures, he also threw in a couple freebies, a Motorola suitcase that's pretty much just a chassis and mask, cabinet is rough, and an Admiral Bakelite Console.
The Admiral is pretty weather beaten but I didn't see any cracks, no CRT, knobs or back so I don't intend to restore it back to stock, I might paint it a wild color and stick a small color chassis inside though.
It came with a power supply that might be handy if someone is missing one.

The Pedestal Predicta is in very decent condition, don't think a refinish will be needed or desirable, a little touch up on the feet mostly.
The screen cover is cracked but I can take the one off my Holiday for it.

The Holiday is really in very nice condition, good screen, nice cabinet except the one chunk in the top left corner visible in the picture.
It HAS the antenna!!

I haven't checked the CRT's in either one, I'm almost afraid to given what we know about these tubes.

Kevin Kuehn
07-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Talk about a lucky guy... I wouldn't mind if someone around here dumped an Admiral Bakelite console set on me. :D

Eric H
07-29-2011, 09:40 PM
I just got done checking the CRT's, both are bad, not unexpected for a Predicta.

These must have been replaced at some point because neither one had a 2.34v heater, they were the normal 6.3.

The one in the pedestal had no cutoff and almost no emissions so I blasted it with my B&K, it now has really good emissions with the cutoff control in the middle but the cutoff can't be set the usual one division above zero no matter where the control is set, I suspect it'll work but with unknown quality.

The Holiday also checks nearly dead, the cutoff works and if I crank the heater up to 8 or 9 volts the emissions are in the green so it could probably be run on a brightener for a while.

So the search is on for at least one good tube, I'll still clean them up and probably recap the Pedestal in the meanwhile.

bandersen
07-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Sorry about the CRTs. Are they both 21" ? Seems those are far less reliable the the 17" ones.

Odd that the Admiral has a split chassis. From what I've seen the 20X122 has the gold bezel and uses a single chassis. The 24A12 with a white bezel has the split.

If you do part it out, the HV cover looks like the one Kevin needs: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=251726