View Full Version : Sony KV-40XBR800 40 inch tube breaks

kx250rider
07-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Just a footnote here, following up on a thread from a year or so ago when I was planning to shoot a 40" CRT to see what would happen... Well, it's not gonna happen (to that one) at least. I was moving the set in the barn, and the plastic cabinet had deteriorated, and the whole thing kind of collapsed on itself, and leaned over on it's back; breaking the tube. It wasn't the amount of KABOOM! I expected, but it was a healthy "PFSHLUGGGGG". I think the neck touched the ground first, but in fact the neck is still intact with about 2 inches of the bell still on it. So this means that it SHOULD HAVE imploded, but I didn't hear the usual deep chest-thumping boom. I was about 200 feet away when it tipped over, but plenty close enough to hear the details. Also, the glass was basically contained within the cabinet, and very little flew out.

I scooped the whole thing up in the bucket of the Caterpillar, and heaved all 300 lbs of it into the dumpster. That made a much bigger crash!

Charles

freakaftr8
07-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Awww man! I for sure thought that the CRT would at least give ne heck of a thrill!. At least you finally got rid of it..

Sandy G
07-26-2011, 06:25 PM
RIP, 40" Sony...We WON'T ever see your likes again...

kx250rider
07-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I'll put the word out for another one, and will go ahead with the experiment when I find one. There are plenty of those sets still around, and the CRTs are getting old.... Also I can probably lay my hands on a Mitsubishi 40 with a nearly dead CRT, which might be a candidate...

FOLLOWUP on original post: I think the reason that the set tipped over backwards, is that there had been a large plastic support frame with a subwoofer ontop, and that was probably a structural member of the cabinet. After I pulled the board, and left it with the back off, all the weight of the tube was on the plastic sides of the cabinet. DUMB design, but dumber TV collector for letting that happen.

Charles

classictv80s
07-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Here's what you ought to do, instead of shooting a CRT do a Youtube video where a large CRT set and newer flatscreen set are sitting side by side. Then proceed to tell the viewers that you're about to put a crappy, worthless TV out of its misery with a barrage of bullets. You then shock everyone by grabbing the flatscreen and sending it to the TV cemetery - bang, bang!

kx250rider
07-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Here's what you ought to do, instead of shooting a CRT do a Youtube video where a large CRT set and newer flatscreen set are sitting side by side. Then proceed to tell the viewers that you're about to put a crappy, worthless TV out of its misery with a barrage of bullets. You then shock everyone by grabbing the flatscreen and sending it to the TV cemetery - bang, bang!

Yes, but no "KABOOM"! Definitely I plan to do that too when I get around to it...

Charles

CoogarXR
07-28-2011, 04:59 PM
I had a bunch of videos on youtube of me and the guys at work smashing unfixable flatscreens at the recycler I work for. I got tired of the stupid comments people were posting and I took them down. People have no sense of humor. "I coulda' fixed that!!". BS. You cant fix a separated chip-in-ribbon (not with any normal tools anyway).

Oh well, I just had to vent :)

Sandy G
07-28-2011, 05:14 PM
...An' even if you could, th' damthings ain't worth fixin', anyhow...-Sandy G., Patron Saint of Lost Causes...(CRT TVs, Rap-free Top 40, Big cars w/BIGGER motors, Miniskirts, etc...)

stromberg6
07-28-2011, 05:44 PM
I won a 36 inch Sony in a raffle about 8 years ago. It took 3 strong high school kids, including my son, and me to get it up a few stairs and onto a stand. when it craps out, it's going out in as many pieces as i can make it into, including the CRT, which will be "necked", and broken up in a large box. :yes:
Kevin

site123a
07-28-2011, 08:59 PM
blank

basil lambri
07-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Another good CRT HDTV to try is the 32" Samsung Slimfit. It has a very nice picture.