View Full Version : Sears roundie combo in Detroit..

rca2000
07-22-2011, 10:32 PM
On CL, there is a sears roundie combo for sale. Can't go for it right now, but hope one of us does. Looks pretty nice in pix.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/atq/2496370291.html

DaveWM
07-22-2011, 11:04 PM
nice, I like the sliding doors good to protect the CRT.

Electronic M
07-23-2011, 12:19 AM
About two years ago I gutted that exact set locally. Some time in the 80's the roundy in the one I scrapped died and a smaller silvertone wood grained BPC set was put in place of the gutted TV set. I wanted a roundy and had no room for a giant stereo console so I gutted the stereo electronics and left the cabinet and BPC set there. The owners were going to toss it either way and were happy that it would weigh less when caried up from the furnished basement. The amp chassis is all solid state, but the tuner is mostly tube (with two transistors in the MPX decoder if I recall). I still have all the stereo parts and some of the knobs and hardware from the TV that the owners kept for some reason as well as the sam's folder.

If I had known that a few months later I would get a metal table model sears that was slightly older I would have kept the whole thing and put the guts of the metal set in it Because the stereo system sounded great and I liked the cabinet.

I'd love to have a complete one of those some day.

Tom C.

ChrisW6ATV
07-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Tom's description sounds like my RCA CTC-16 combo: solid-state amplifier, tuner has tubes. This Sears set looks very nice, I hope someone has room for it.

TV Charlie
08-04-2011, 06:14 PM
That's the same one from 6 months ago. (post 2-22-11) It's only about 7 miles from me, but it's in a bad neighborhood and the guy wasn't specific on the price, as far as selling it as a "priceless antique" or just a piece of old junk, or anything. Maybe I'll get the nerve to check it out, as I still have his phone number. Plus, when ghetto sets of that time period were showing up many years ago, they never seemed to have good CRT's, among other things. They were usually run into the ground. They kept them going to the bitter end. I want to check the tube for a booster, at least.