View Full Version : Collection of Sets for Sale

jr_tech
07-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Spotted this today... Is That a Motorola Astronaut turned sideways on the right side of the shelf?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Television-Lot-28-sets-great-designs-/200628998850?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2eb66b92c2
The seller has a lovely sitar for sale as well! :drool:
Not affiliated,
jr

David Roper
07-10-2011, 09:09 PM
I see three, just possibly four sets i would walk across the street to look at prospectively. There's a whole lot of filler there.

ETA: OK, after a proper scouring of the pics the number of sets I wouldn't mind having is closer to 7 or 8. If the seller were to offer up just those sets--with a starting bid one tenth of the current auction--then we'd be having a conversation.

Sandy G
07-10-2011, 09:30 PM
What David said.

Tom Albrecht
07-10-2011, 10:19 PM
I think it's a pretty decent collection, with the majority of sets having at least some interest. But the starting bid is way too high. At half that price, it would be well worth someone's trouble to buy the lot and then resell one at a time, making a reasonable return in the process. Selling as a lot, however, one should not expect the kind of price being asked.

Very few customers are going to want to keep all these sets, so it's not a smart strategy to try to sell this many as a single lot.

leadlike
07-10-2011, 10:37 PM
I think someone may have appraised the sets as having a value of $100 each, hence the excessive opening bid. Why do people do this? What are the fees for the seller on a no bids $2500 auction?

bandersen
07-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Interesting. I grew up in Park Ridge and just got back from visiting my parents there this evening. I didn't know there were any collectors in the area.

Kevin Kuehn
07-11-2011, 12:36 AM
If the sets that are listed separately were all included for this auctions opening bid, then it would be closer to an ok deal.

That Sentinel TV 400 listed seperatly sure looks nice. Always wanted me one of those. I think we should send Banderson in for a closer inspection. :yes:

David Roper
07-11-2011, 02:05 AM
I had a look at his separate listings. Seems he's got individual auctions going for some of the sets shown as part of the lot! One of them's already got a bid.

bandersen
07-11-2011, 02:16 AM
Yeah, it's a strange way to sell them. From the posting
"...The blonde RCA in the lower right of picture 1, and the Motorola bakelite in the upper right of the same photo are listed separately in other auction, but if you're interested in the lot, I'll pull the plug on those auctions and make the whole group available..."

Red Raster
07-11-2011, 04:44 AM
The tan Motorola astronaut is what i would want, And how kinky would it be to have the Black Onyx and the Tahiti Tan Astronauts as bookends having the Philco Safaries (back and tan) with a Sony 8-301 stuffed in the middle.
p/s it took me over two years to capture a astronaut.

kramden66
07-11-2011, 10:52 AM
lots of good sets there , a stromberg carlson , blonde rca 8ts30 , firestone , crosley with the white halo look , etc etc

mike

bandersen
07-13-2011, 12:50 AM
He's updated his photos to clarify what's for sale. They all appear to be in very, very nice condition. That TC-10 puts mine to shame. I really like that blond Dumont :yes:

I notice that the blonde Admiral console has channel #1. Seems to confirm that the very early models didn't have a tail on the channel knob.

... I think we should send Banderson in for a closer inspection. :yes:

I'd love to, but I'm afraid I'm not going out that way before the auction ends.

David Roper
07-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Why could the seller not be bothered to include pics of the most desirable sets until later? I'm guessing because they weren't intended to be part of this auction until days went by without so much as a nibble. 'Course that's got a lot less to do with the sets than it does with the opening bid. He really does have some nice sets* which would likely bring in a total in excess of $2500 in individual auctions. Then he could put all the portables up together with a starting bid of $0.01--and if it gets one bid be glad for not having to pay for them to be hauled away!

*Some of the 'nice sets' not shown originally include the 721 clone(?) console, the Predicta console and the blonde Du Mont, which is a rarely encountered 15" version of the Rumson.

AUdubon5425
07-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Too bad he's trying to sell them in a large lot. Personally, I'd be interested in the Philco Town & Country and perhaps the gold Briefcase 17, since I have junkers of these already.

Eric H
07-14-2011, 12:52 AM
I'd be interested in a lot of those sets, the Stromberg Carlson "Manhattan" teh Crosley Bakelite, The Red & Gold RCA portable, whatever that weird set is under the Manhattan, Tele-Tone maybe? Firestone? The Chinese Grille Admiral, the Black & Gold RCA Portable, the 10T1 GE Bakelite, Bakelite Motorola 7", a BLOND 8-TS-30! (though refinishing it would suck!)
He can keep the Predicta Tandem for $1200.

ChrisW6ATV
07-14-2011, 01:07 AM
This one:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqIOKnME4NlHpDGqBOG3yE2UG%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

Is an interesting version of the Dumont RA-103.

If the pictures represent all the sets included in this deal, the 8TS30 and the Tele-Tone are now missing, I see.