View Full Version : Ge 10t1 b&w tv

cboyett
07-02-2011, 10:52 AM
I just pulled this vintage TV out of storage and would like to sell it to help a family member who recently lost her husband. I am brand new to this site, so any assistance would be most appreciated.

kramden66
07-02-2011, 11:51 AM
how much do you want ? any pictures ? where are you located ?

mike

Phil Nelson
07-02-2011, 12:10 PM
If that is the tabletop set with Bakelite cabinet, collectors call that the "locomotive" design, for its streamlined appearance.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/general_el_10t1_locomotiv.html

You could place a for-sale ad in the Classified section of this forum. Another ad venue is at the Early Television Foundation website:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/classifieds_postwar.html

These TVs are frequently broken when people try to ship them without removing the heavy chassis from the fragile Bakelite cabinet. It would be advisable to sell it locally, to avoid that risk. If you must ship it, removing the chassis from the cabinet would be prudent.

Phil Nelson

cboyett
07-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks, Phil. I'll enjoy perusing those sites. You are right, it is the tabletop Bakelite cabinet. Not sure if it works, though. I am going to try and find some "pro-bono" assistance in looking at it. I am in Southern California.

TerrySmith
07-02-2011, 01:46 PM
DO NOT try to power it up! Doing so could destroy hard to find parts, electrical shock, or start a fire! Any and all vintage electronic equipment WILL NEED restoration, IE: capacitors, wiring (flaking insulation), tubes, etc.

Phil Nelson
07-02-2011, 02:36 PM
If you want to sell it, then sell it as-is. Don't plug it in, as you might damage something.

The cost of having somebody restore the electronics so that it's safe & reliable to play would probably exceed the value of the TV. Hours and hours of labor are required -- it's not just popping in a new tube, as in the old days.

Whether it currently works is unimportant. Many collectors would strongly prefer to get a set in original, unmolested condition, so they can re-do the electronics exactly as they like.

Phil Nelson

charokeeroad
07-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Phil. I'll enjoy perusing those sites. You are right, it is the tabletop Bakelite cabinet. Not sure if it works, though. I am going to try and find some "pro-bono" assistance in looking at it. I am in Southern California.

Where abouts in SoCal? I don't have a locomotive and wouldn't mind at least looking. You can PM me if you like.

cboyett
07-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I work in San Dimas, live in Hacienda Heights.