View Full Version : Modern Miller Coil Part Numbers?

JoeNewberry
06-24-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm finally getting back to restoring my 1953 RCA Victor KCS78C. Several of the RF-IF coils are falling apart on me and I was looking to replace them. The RCA part numbers from the Photofact sheets aren't helping much, though. I have found a few places still selling parts I need under their Miller part numbers, but I'm curious if the modern parts are still the same. For instance, I need Shunt Peaking Coil L31, RCA part 77124, Miller part 4652. Several places do have Miller 4652-RC, which is listed as a 1000uH choke. Is this a close enough for government work kind of situation or do I need to focus on NOS parts?

MelodyMaster
06-24-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm finally getting back to restoring my 1953 RCA Victor KCS78C. Several of the RF-IF coils are falling apart on me and I was looking to replace them. The RCA part numbers from the Photofact sheets aren't helping much, though. I have found a few places still selling parts I need under their Miller part numbers, but I'm curious if the modern parts are still the same. For instance, I need Shunt Peaking Coil L31, RCA part 77124, Miller part 4652. Several places do have Miller 4652-RC, which is listed as a 1000uH choke. Is this a close enough for government work kind of situation or do I need to focus on NOS parts?

I find that if all else fails I simply read the inductance (uH) from the schematic and use a part with the same inductance. Q is also important, but one matches ferrite for ferrite, iron for iron, air for air etc. Also I may use a coil that LOOKS the same from a scrap set.

JoeNewberry
06-25-2011, 01:10 AM
That's part of my problem, unfortunately. Only 4 or 5 of the some 40 coils have their inductance given. Part 4652 is one of the few that does, actually, it's 1000uH, which is why I wondered if the modern Miller parts are drop in replacements for the originals, since the 4652-RC is also 1000uH.