View Full Version : Sencore CR-70 CRT tester thoughts/opinions

drh4683
06-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Im looking to buy a sencore CR-70 on ebay. I have a few other CRT tester/rejuvenators but all of them have their quirks and Im looking to move on and get a high quality "one does all" type of unit. Just curious what your thoughts are on those who use them. I know you can directly connect to the CRT pins with the jumper leads if need be when you don't have the proper socket (this is to prevent the tester from becoming "obsolete") but does this tester come with a socket that fits the 21" round color CRTs? Anyone know what year these testers were built? I see some on ebay with 1994 set up manuals, not sure if its just an updated list, or if the testers were also made that late. Being sencore, I assume they work very well. I have a sencore TC-162 tube checker that I've been using exclusively since 1996 and its been the best peice of equipment I own. I can't say enough good things about it, or other sencore equipment in general. Their stuff is the best. Your opinions appricated.

DaveWM
06-20-2011, 08:58 AM
I have one, yes it come with a 21" roundie 14pin adapter, there are several adapters in the kit, just make sure you get them all. I like mine fine.

drh4683
06-20-2011, 09:05 AM
How many adapters did yours come with, and could you let me know the socket number on the 21" round socket? All of these guys selling them on ebay don't say what sockets they come with, nor do they take pictures of the sockets. If I send them a question asking, I can just have them check to see if they have socket number "6" for example and make it easy. Also, whats the socket number for a common 25GP22?
Thanks

zenithfan1
06-20-2011, 09:44 AM
The socket for round tubes is number 8 IIRC, the universal adapter will work on ANY tube EVER made, including a 1951ish color prototype! I think socket 2 is for the rectangular tubes that are delta gun. It's in my truck, I'll check at lunch to make sure those are the right numbers.

miniman82
06-20-2011, 09:56 AM
The socket for round tubes is number 8 IIRC, the universal adapter will work on ANY tube EVER made, including a 1951ish color prototype!

And it works very well, even if the owner is just a little goofy looking! :D

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=170722&d=1308189114

I think socket 2 is for the rectangular tubes that are delta gun. It's in my truck, I'll check at lunch to make sure those are the right numbers.

Better make sure your wonderful neighbors don't nab it, and take it to the pawn shop to get money for 40 ouncers... :thumbsdn:

Electronic M
06-20-2011, 01:33 PM
After seeing the way mark brought the CRT in my porthole back from the dead with his CR-70, I'm itching to get one my self.

Tom C.

miniman82
06-20-2011, 03:09 PM
They tend to go for a lot of money on the Bay, I'm holding out for a good deal to get mine. I liked Bob's Beltron too, the way it reads all guns at the same time is a cool feature.

rca2000
06-20-2011, 09:34 PM
I have two of them, an older one I got for a few bucks on Ebay--and it does not work....BUT it had the #8 socket with it. I got another one, for under 100 a bit later--it was newer, and did NOT have #8--there was just a plastic plug where it should be. But, I just took the socket from the other and the #13 for the mini--necks, the broken one had too, and pout them in the other one.

The unit does work well--and is my favorite rejuv'r. I have likewise tested or shot a lot of tubes with the 70. Some, like the 21AXP22 on my 5, did NOT need hit--it checked like new last year. Others--like that 21" in that 1958 Zenith---were virtually dead--and it woke it up--some at least, to where I get a raster on it. A great tester!!

drh4683
06-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the positive reviews. I went ahead and bought a nice looking one on ebay for the opening bid of $99.00. Just waiting for it to arrive now. The seller claimed "it has all six sockets behind the cover" so hopefully that means the #8 is also in there...

I see some pretty outrageous opening bids on many of those cr-70's, between $300-750.

Mark is going to stop by Sunday as we have some TV's to trade. Hes going to bring his along along so I can get a preview of what these things can do. Looking forward to it.

DaveWM
06-21-2011, 11:32 AM
you should be ok, IIRC the sockets have one on each side IIRC

drh4683
06-27-2011, 05:58 PM
I did receive my sencore CR70. It was a newer one, built in 1994. Unfortunately due to its age being newer, the number 8 socket for the 21" round tube sets was blanked off. I also found out that the universal adapter was also option, so I lost out on that too.

Either way, great deal, I'll just have to wait and run across the right sockets on ebay.

Mine works, but makes all sorts of strange high frequency noises. I opened it up and found out that some of the lytics failed at one time or another. They're nichicons too, some are leaking, some bulged and blew apart. Need to recap it now, theres quite a few different axial lytics in there.

Called up Sencore, nice people on the phone to deal with. The lady said they don't have the 7&8 socket anymore, but I did order an NOS operators manual and NOS parts list schematic. She told me they had many left over after production on these ended in November of 1996. They were first introduced in 1982 I found out in talking to her. Not many parts are left for these unfortunately, but its nice to know Sencore is still in business and still at the top of their game in electronic analysis equipment and still making their products here in the US.

andy
06-27-2011, 06:55 PM