View Full Version : Packard Bell Color TV's

drh4683
06-12-2011, 04:37 PM
I found my first Packard Bell color TV this weekend at the estates. You can see pics of it in the estate sales 2011 thread. The reason Im deviating from that thread is so I can pick the minds of you guys who know Packard Bell color sets. My main question: Did they produce a model number tag that was glued to the back of their sets? I know it sounds like the type of question that should have an obvious yes, but I see no traces of anything resembling the existence of a model number or tag, no residual glue etc.. The back cover is very plain, some text that specifies the brand and the various controls but thats about it. These sets are very foreign to me, I'd like to learn more.
For one, Im extremely impressed with the quality of the chassis. Ranks right up with a Zenith.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=249974&page=6

ctc17
06-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Yes it should have had a model number, I believe its a 98C18 Chassis. Like RCA they had crappy paper tags that fall off.
Pull the chassis and look on the right (flyback) side of the chassis, good chance the chassis number tag is still in place.

That set is mostly an RCA clone and will produce a great picture with really good color.
I will email you the schematic. I have several of those and know them very well.

IMO, nothing comes close to their cabinets. If you closely analyze the construction its mostly held together with good fit and screws. Its not glued and stapled. Also the most of the transistors are in sockets.
I have seen leaky detector diodes cause issues on these.

Welcome to the PB club, thats a great save.