View Full Version : 1957-58 Westinghouse V-2372-67

AUdubon5425
05-28-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm trying to decide what to do with this - it is one of the "junker" sets I got along with the CTC-9 several days ago. It's a few years older than I first guessed - the automatic tuning fooled me. I think the metal cabinet would clean up alright cosmetically, but the back is missing, most of the tubes were pulled, some things have gotten crispy from the heat (like the yoke cover and some HV insulation) and something coming out of the HV cage is cut. The CRT tests halfway on the meter with a slow climb while I had it hooked up. It is a series-string and uses a weird 2.5x10 speaker.

What's y'all's opinion - should I try to save this one, or offer it up for parts?

Electrohome
05-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Hello, I think you should save and restore this set and make or find a replacement back for this set as well as Westinghouse TVs are very hard to find from 1969 and earlier let a 1940's or 1950's Westinghouse TV.
To make a replacement back, locate some masonite or hardboard pegboard, cut it to size to fit the TV cabinet. Next, cut a hole about 4 inch by 4 inch sqaure where the neck of the CRT sticks out. To make the CRT cover, take either corrigated cardboard from a cardbord box that's single ply or about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch thick, then cut and fashion a CRT nect cover about 4-inch by 4-inch square to fit the 4-inch by 4 inch hole in the back you've just made from the pegboard and presto, you now have a replacement back for your Westinghouse TV until you can find an authentic Westinghouse back for this TV. You could also contact Harry Poster or any other member here on VK about replacement back as well.
Replacement tubes for missing tubes in this Westinghouse TV could also be obtained from any vintage electronic restoration company or also from other members here on VK as well as any other missing parts you may need to help you complete the restoration of this rare Westinghouse TV as well.

WA3WLJ
05-28-2011, 08:56 PM
:banana::banana:
That is the set I grew up with in my family's Living Room.
Dad was in the TV business and I've been looking for a picture of it since I joined AK,
Best wishes !!
Greg

AUdubon5425
06-08-2011, 01:40 PM
I tried cleaning up the set a little - I think the cabinet is vinyl woodgrain over metal. Moderately successful, but there are spots that never will be right. There is also a thick black pad coming unglued from the inside of the top - I'm guessing this is asbestos. You can see part of it hanging down in the picture of the chassis.

I'm going to dig into this set a little further and see if it can reasonably be brought back to life. This was the only set in the house which had a missing back and missing tubes. I'm not getting my hopes up, but will give it a shot in the future.

And Greg, when I get it good and clean I'll snap some more pictures for you.

WA3WLJ
06-08-2011, 03:31 PM
:yes::yes:THANKS !!!!!:yes::yes:

dieseljeep
06-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Looks like a lot of restoration on that set. If the back wasn't missing it probably would be feasable. Also looks like the original CRT in it. That speaker is what Westinghouse called "wide-fi". They used it in their higher-line table radios. I would scrap the set and use the crt in a nicer set. Also, save that speaker!