View Full Version : Zenith Porthole...Blond...$25...And It Works!!!

vts1134
05-27-2011, 09:10 PM
http://allentown.craigslist.org/atq/2406890002.html

Sandy G
05-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Aww, man...(Sigh...)

JCFitz
05-28-2011, 08:24 AM
I like it and I could drive there but being I'm working today I bet it doesn't last long in his yard sale.:sigh:

I emailed them just in case it doesn't sell today but there's probably a member or 2 here in that area. If they email me back in time I'd offer to paypal the $25 to save it until tomorrow but I'm not setting my hopes too high.:sigh:

stusnyder
05-28-2011, 01:07 PM
I emailed them last night and still did not get a answer back...it's only a 1/2 hr from my place.

JCFitz
05-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Got a reply today and the phone no./address today. He said he's holding it for me until I can drive up tomorrow. Let's see if he's true to his word.:scratch2:

I almost had another porthole the lady who got the 1956 Admiral was gonna pick up when it was offered free right in her backyard practically but someone on here offered money for it and it disappeared.The set has been posted about on this forum. I have no hard feelings over that one though.The cabinet was stripped of it's finish and cabinet work is not exactly my cup of tea unlike some on here that do beautiful things with cabinets.:ntwrthy: I've never done a veneer patch and never refinished a whole cabinet. Also I was not aware that when it was offered on craigslist for money that they still had the original chassis and crt in the garage since there was a modern tv shown inside of it.

ps. I've already jumped all over my boss that I now need the truck tomorrow and to get his dirt out of the back today.See my other thread:

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=251206

vts1134
05-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Got a reply today and the phone no./address today. He said he's holding it for me until I can drive up tomorrow. Let's see if he's true to his word.:scratch2:

I almost had another porthole the lady who got the 1956 Admiral was gonna pick up when it was offered free right in her backyard practically but someone on here offered money for it and it disappeared.The set has been posted about on this forum. I have no hard feelings over that one though.The cabinet was stripped of it's finish and cabinet work is not exactly my cup of tea unlike some on here that do beautifil things with cabinets.:ntwrthy: I've never done a veneer patch and never refinished a whole cabinet. Also I was not aware that when it was offered on craigslist for money that they still had the original chassis and crt in the garage since there was a modern tv shown inside of it.

ps. I've already jumped all over my boss that I now need the truck tomorrow and to get his dirt out of the back today.See my other thread:

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=251206

I was hoping some one here would get it.

stusnyder
05-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Got a reply today and the phone no./address today. He said he's holding it for me until I can drive up tomorrow. Let's see if he's true to his word.

It would have been nice if the owner of it would have emailed me and told me they where holding it for someone....just wasted my day waiting around for a answer...

CoogarXR
05-28-2011, 04:32 PM
That thing is beautiful. Please post pics of it working when you get it.

Sandy G
05-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Just as long as one of us gets it...

cwmoser
05-28-2011, 05:23 PM
That thing is beautiful. Please post pics of it working when you get it.

Shoot... post pictures of it as soon as you get it:-)
Love those porthole TV's.

Is it the 16" or 19" version?

Carl

vts1134
05-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Just as long as one of us gets it...
:yes::yes:

John Marinello
05-28-2011, 11:50 PM
16. So, "powers up" means working??

Electronic M
05-29-2011, 02:50 PM
I would like a close up of the pencil box door. The one on my 16" 24H20/21 is missing, and having a photo of what one needs makes for a better want ad.

I would not be shocked if it works as is. Mine works good with all the caps it came with, thus killing all subsequent shock when I hear of a unrestored working one.

Tom C.

JCFitz
05-29-2011, 07:34 PM
The Porthole is home just not out of the truck yet. Now if only my cousin would answer his cell phone.:mad:

It is a model H3469E
Chassis 24H20/21
Uses a 16GP4 crt and it looks like the one in it may have been replaced in it's life.It's a 16GP4A

As far as working it looks like when he wired up a cord to see it work he only powered up the radio chassis and even then he saw only the tubes glow as all 3 tubes are missing from the power supply.The radio chassis is the only thing a cord has been spliced to. The tv cord is cut off.

It may still work I'll look things over carefully and test the crt before I try the variac. I had to reattach the foot with some glue and wood screws as it was off when I got there. Do you think my screws were overkill?....lol.

Just want to be sure it doesn't come off when it's stood up. It originally only had 1 screw right through the center and the old glue to hold it.

Sandy G
05-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Be GENTLE w/it, JC....(grin)

John Marinello
05-29-2011, 08:58 PM
The 16" uses the 24H20 chassis, the 19" uses the 24H21. There are a few
electrical & mechanical mods for the different size CRTs.

vts1134
05-29-2011, 09:34 PM
16. So, "powers up" means working??

I guess in my enthusiasm for the deal I overestimated the description. I apologize if I misspoke.

JCFitz
05-29-2011, 09:56 PM
I guess in my enthusiasm for the deal I overestimated the description. I apologize if I misspoke.

Personally I didn't care if it worked. Would have been nice but $25 for a blonde porthole in this condition was a deal working or not.

The cabinet is very nice but it does have some battle scars.Most very minor except for some long scratches on the right side. It is complete in every way I can see except the 3 tubes.

I'm dead tired from today but watch for my new restoration thread and more pictures.First thing when I get home from work tomorrow(yes I gotta work...sigh not everyone gets Memorial Day off) I'm gonna be itching to test that crt....lol