View Full Version : 3a3 hv rectifier tube

timmy
04-30-2011, 06:26 AM
is there anyone that knows the test result for a 3a3 hv tube since a tester does not apply k volts to the tube, does this tube infact show a dim one sided short light? the one i have tests very good but shows gas and a dim short light but only one one tip of the neon short light, although i was told that this is how the result is for this tube im still not convinced its good with alot of gas that its showing.

marty59
05-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Without knowing what are the correct readings for your tester, the only true tests for HV Rectifiers are in-circuit after weeding out the obvious bad ones. Gassy rectifier tubes are not normal and you don't want to use them. In a dimly lit room while in operation, take a peek at the tube (safely) and you can tell by the glow if it's gassy!

timmy
05-17-2011, 04:14 PM
i still have not found out what a 3a3c rectifier tube should show because i put a supposed nos in after testing and showed total short and no meter reading at all but worked, then it turned blue and broke open but yet the one that was in already tested very good on the meter but showed a slight half short light and im told that this is normal for this 3a3c tube im just trying to find out if this is infact true about the short light because there is no high voltage applied to the tube in a tester. i have 2 new tubes that show total shorted with no meter readings at all.

Findm-Keepm
05-17-2011, 06:40 PM
As stated earlier, the only way to check a 3A3C HV rectifier tube is by substitution in a working set. Tube checkers throughout the ages have never been able to weed out any HV (1B3, 1J3, 2AV2, 1V2, 3A3, 3AT2, etc.) tube. Tube testers (by design) use a low voltage to test HV tubes. My Sencore from the 60's has a paragraph about them - (paraphrasing) "don't expect to see the filament light up, test is go/no-go for Anode to Cathode shorts only, use a working device to determine merit of tube"

Is the Shift Key on your computer broke? :scratch2:

Cheers,

timmy
05-18-2011, 06:50 AM
well ok trial and error is ok but when lots of work is done on a chassis you kind of tend to make sure all is correct. but these 3a3 tubes are responsible for low hv output while either way they will work in the circuit so it just didnt make sense to me to put a questionable tube in a working circuit and possibly stress another part of the circuit. i have had around 4 ofthese tubes that have no meter readings at all and total shorted while the old one i have works fine and has good meter readings but has the little glow of the short light, this is what confuses me while trying to be careful at the same time.

Red Raster
05-18-2011, 01:25 PM
At the risk of being scorned, laughed at or booted off the forum, I do a ping test, while holding the base of the hv rect tube i flick a finger striking the envolope, if the ping has sharp ring to it i have always found the tube to be good and bad if the ring sound is muffled and dull with a loose rattle.:scratch2: For those using solid state hv rectifiers i test them using 110vac in series with a neon bulb and if one pole of the neon bulb is lit the rectifier is good.:yes:

timmy
05-18-2011, 03:40 PM
well at the risk myself i kind of done similar though i just put it to the ear and listen while i click it and hear if anything has a rattle to it but it just like you said it has a ring which is the filiment, lol,lol.....i just dont understand how 2 of the same tubes give different readings one has a meter reading the other dont and both work...