View Full Version : It's 1954 and color TV is on the way

droptop
04-10-2011, 07:40 PM
I found these articles in a 1954 technical publication that show some of what was on the minds of many service men at the dawn of color television along with a Dumont color CRT announcement. Especially interesting are questions like "What should I do to prepare myself for the coming of color television" and some of the “prediction” answers given to questions like “Will color television ever completely replace black-and-white television?” Enjoy.

Kamakiri
04-10-2011, 07:49 PM
I seem to remember one such article saying that on empty channels, what looked like "snow" would end up looking like "confetti" on a color set.....

ohohyodafarted
04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
VEry Interesting. That last page seems to contradict the general perception that CBS developed the 19VP22 19" color tube with the photo deposition method of phosphor dot placement on the inside face of the tube.

I wonder what the real story actually is??

John Folsom
04-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I think CBS and their Hytron tube division did develop the method of using the shadow mask to deposit dots on the faceplate of the CRT. They were producing the 15HP22 dots-on-face CRT in the fall of 1953. How DuMont fits into this picture is fuzzy. Maybe DuMont developed a parallel technology, maybe they were working under license from CBS-Hytron. Why did DuMont not bring the tube to market? Did they run into patent conflicts with CBS-Hytron or RCA? Or maybe they just realized the development costs were not justified?