View Full Version : RCA 17T154 on craigslist for $50

GeorgeJetson
04-01-2011, 03:36 PM
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/atq/2293622188.html

charokeeroad
04-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Anyone interested in this set might want to read my comments from yesterday.

"Need help to identify CRT"

GeorgeJetson
04-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't see that post.

charokeeroad
04-01-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't see that post.

If it's one thing I've learned about photos on Craigslist. it's that the item usually looks a lot better in the pictures than it does in real life.

:D

GeorgeJetson
04-01-2011, 09:16 PM
:yes: that's very true!
Especially for cars,I swear some of these guys must Photoshop their pictures for the ads.

charokeeroad
04-02-2011, 01:07 AM
:yes: that's very true!
Especially for cars,I swear some of these guys must Photoshop their pictures for the ads.

After you posted I took a look again at the photos the seller posted and I noticed that he managed to leave out everything that might show any damage on the set. Very good with a camera. The back looks great in the photos but in reality the back show a lot of activity. The holes where the retainer screws go through were all worn out like so much so the holes were bigger than the screw heads.. but you could not tell that by the photos.

Bill Cahill
04-02-2011, 07:13 AM
I think it's the 1951 model with a 17CP4 metal tube. Notice the focus pot neer tube. That uses a .005mf, 10kv cap.
Bill Cahill

dieseljeep
04-02-2011, 09:41 AM
That set uses a 17gp4, a metal cone crt. It also uses a 1V2 for a focus rectifier, like a color set. I haven't seen one of those things in years.

charokeeroad
04-02-2011, 10:28 AM
That set uses a 17gp4, a metal cone crt. It also uses a 1V2 for a focus rectifier, like a color set. I haven't seen one of those things in years.

When I looked at this tv on Thursday and tested the CRT It didn't look like a metal and glass CRT. My first reaction after removing the back was that the CRT had been replaced. The rubber gasket that goes between the CRT and the cabinet was just sort of stuck in there most of it wasn't where it should have been yet there was no gap between the CRT and the cabinet as seen from the front. The two metal bars that support the CRT running from the neck of the CRT to the front pannel were loose, one was completely off. The cap on the CRT was unusual it was an off green color with no MFG name on it. The CRT tested good to about 25% on the BK meter. I didn't buy it because of what I just described but also because the channel knob and plate was damaged and the chassis looked like it had been dipped in gooo. This tv has a metal cabinet with a wood grain finish. The cabinet was badly scratched on the sides.

JCFitz
04-02-2011, 01:19 PM

That's the chassis in my console set. The original crt was replaced with a larger 20" all glass tube in mine.I forget the type but my tube uses permanent magnet magnetic focus so the 1V2 and focus pot are basically just there and connected but not being used.

I wonder if a lot of the 17GP4s died of infant mortality as mine and the craigslist set have been replaced and it looks like early in their lives.Maybe a vacuum leak problem like the early metal cone color tubes had?:scratch2:

GeorgeJetson
04-02-2011, 01:51 PM
After you posted I took a look again at the photos the seller posted and I noticed that he managed to leave out everything that might show any damage on the set. Very good with a camera. The back looks great in the photos but in reality the back show a lot of activity. The holes where the retainer screws go through were all worn out like so much so the holes were bigger than the screw heads.. but you could not tell that by the photos.

The thing I dont understand is what are they thinking?
they can post all the nice looking photos in the world but if you get out there and its a piece of junk you still arent going to buy it.
Wouldnt it be best to just be honest from the start and not waste someone elses time or your own?

I have never understood the mentality behind this sort of thing.

charokeeroad
04-02-2011, 02:50 PM
The thing I dont understand is what are they thinking?
they can post all the nice looking photos in the world but if you get out there and its a piece of junk you still arent going to buy it.
Wouldnt it be best to just be honest from the start and not waste someone elses time our your own?

I have never understood the mentality behind this sort of thing.

Some people have no shame. Or they are just desperate.

Eric H
04-02-2011, 05:53 PM
If someone just needed the CRT it would be worth the asking price.

dieseljeep
04-02-2011, 06:09 PM
With the gooie stuff on chassis, it was probably a mouse-house. It was possibly a curb side pick up. I've seen sets that were dragged down the driveway on their sides. It's easier to move that way by old or weak people. They're dumping it anyway, they couldn't care less.

charokeeroad
04-02-2011, 06:12 PM
If someone just needed the CRT it would be worth the asking price.

I wish I would have looke a little closer at the CRT numbers..