View Full Version : Philco Predicta Console 50's????

JengaGirl
03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Hi, everyone! My husband and I recently purchased a vintage TV from an antique market and we have been unable to find any information about our specific set.

It is a Philco Predicta Miss Canada, model # 4656. It does not have an "S" after the number as is the Swivel model. It is a floor model with a beautiful reddish wood and the three-speaker "wraparound sound". It is very similar to the 1958 Miss America (photo attached) except that the channel and volume control are on the top right of the unit, not in the front.

The audio works fine but we have no picture at the moment. Regardless, we love the set. It's a beautiful piece of furniture, functioning or not! : )

I will post pictures if there is any interest.

Can anyone here tell us what we have and what options are available to us in the way of repairs to the picture?

DaveWM
03-16-2011, 12:21 PM
It would be best to stop using it until someone that knows tube tech goes over it. Running it without checking it out is not a good idea. Worst case is a fire hazard (dont want to scare you, that is worse case but not impossilble).

Also you can do more damage, making it harder to fix, by ruining hard to find parts.

If you put your location you may find someone here that can help you find someone that can check it out.

DaveWM
03-16-2011, 12:22 PM
oh and an actual pic of the TV would help ID exactly what you have, and help figure out your best course of action.

Phil Nelson
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
I recently restored a Philco Miss America identical to the one shown in that photo:

http://antiqueradio.org/PhilcoF4626MTelevision.htm

This article has some advice about finding a local repairman:

http://antiqueradio.org/howfix.htm

Perhaps you could get a recommendation from someone via the CVRS:

http://www.canadianvintageradio.com/

Meanwhile, as Dave noted, it's best not to turn it on.

I wonder if Philco Canada ran ads featuring Miss Canada, as they did in the US? Would be interesting to see, if so.

Phil Nelson

miniman82
03-16-2011, 03:29 PM
OP: your location would help, it will show up in your posts if you add it to your profile.

JengaGirl
03-17-2011, 09:52 AM
It was actually your Miss America photo that I used!

Phil Nelson
03-17-2011, 11:51 AM
That "stock" photo appears in the Sams Photofact, so thank them.

I looked up your model number in Sams and saw this photo with knobs on the side and top. Your cabinet may have a somewhat different style, of course; it was common to offer the same chassis in various cabinets.

Anyhow, if you are talking to a repairman, tell them the Sams manual is Set 429, Folder 1 (assuming that the Canadian model numbers and Sams number are the same).

Good luck getting yours fixed. These are nice TVs when working properly.

Phil Nelson

http://antiqueradio.org/art/temp/PhilcoG4656.jpg

JengaGirl
03-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Thank you VERY much! We don't have a knob on the side but volume and channel selection are on the top like this one. (Channel selection button pops up and is lighted). Otherwise, it is identical to the Miss America set above.

Thanks for the newest piece of the puzzle!

JengaGirl
03-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Will post a pic tonight when I get home!

Phil Nelson
03-17-2011, 01:50 PM
We don't have a knob on the side
The TV in the picture is a UHF/VHF model. If yours tunes only VHF (channels 2-13), the side UHF tuner would be absent.

Phil Nelson

GeorgeJetson
03-17-2011, 01:52 PM
There must not have been much on UHF back in the late fifties because I rarely ever see Predictas (or any set of that era) with UHF.

charokeeroad
03-17-2011, 04:48 PM
If your looking for that side knob you might try Dave at "parts2many@aol.com" Dave has helped me out a few times but he typically wants a good picture of what your looking for so he can make an exact match. One of the members might be able to get a pic of one for you.

JengaGirl
03-26-2011, 08:12 AM
We found a tag stiking out of the tv and it seems to be an inspection tag. It says the model number again but with an "M" ant the end (4656M) and a serial number , 80736. And it says that it was made in toronto, ontario.

old_coot88
03-26-2011, 08:58 AM
There must not have been much on UHF back in the late fifties because I rarely ever see Predictas (or any set of that era) with UHF.
It wasn't until 1964 that the FCC mandated all new sets sold be equipped with UHF. Prior to that it was optional. Or a converter was used. But get this - later it was mandated that all new UHF tuners be "as easy to use as VHF ", meaning detented rather than continuous tuning. Thus came the infamous click-stop tuning that rendered the shuddering "Rrrrrrrrrrrrip" when changing channels that weren't immediately adjacent on the dial. A classic case of a problem-less "solution" by bureaucracy.:puke:

Don Lindsly
03-26-2011, 01:13 PM
If the TV were originally equipped with UHF, there will be a "U" at the end of the chassis number and the beginning of the model number.
I don't know the Canadian rule for mandatory UHF. It was certainly later than 1959/60.

JengaGirl
03-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Here is a picture ov the tv...

artistatina
03-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Erm.... Hello. I'm posting in THIS thread wondering if that will illicit a response from anyone. There seem to people posting here....
I have posted two other threads in an attempt to get help with estimating the value of a really wonderful television that I just purchased. People are reading the posts, just not responding......... at all. Is that because I'm new or because NO ONE knows ANYTHING about my vintage TV?

AUdubon5425
03-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Nice set - I have a similar Miss America with a dead CRT, so I haven't attempted to fire it up. I plan on keeping it regardless if I find another CRT for it, the cabinet is so pretty.

JengaGirl
03-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Tv photo. Miss Canada. :banana:

bandersen
03-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Erm.... Hello. I'm posting in THIS thread wondering if that will illicit a response from anyone. There seem to people posting here....
I have posted two other threads in an attempt to get help with estimating the value of a really wonderful television that I just purchased. People are reading the posts, just not responding......... at all. Is that because I'm new or because NO ONE knows ANYTHING about my vintage TV?

Randomly posting in other's threads isn't going to help. Give it some time.

JengaGirl
03-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Am going to post more pics later this week - mind the dancing bananas and smiley faces please - our 14 year old is JUST as excited about the TV as my husband and I are! Have contacted a few repair places and NO ONE has seen one of these. We received an "over the phone estimate" at around 400 dollars though. Considering it. Either way, it's an awesome piece of furniture, I smile every time I walk by it.

DaveWM
03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I dont see how an estimate could be done with out checking it out. You could have a bad CRT, bad flyback, in which case it going to be expensive, or it could be a simpe tube issue in which case its just put a NOS on in.

You also have to decide if you want to repair or restore or a little of both.

You can do the bare min (like the tube replacement) and it may be ok, but will fail quickly as some other old part that is prone to failure (caps). this can do more damage that will end up costing more money.

I assume the 400$ is just a basic recap estimate, maybe a tube or two. With out checking at least the CRT its would be very hard to nail it down.

I assume you found a vintage repair shop, to give you that estimate.

IMHO your best bet would to be to find a vintage tv/radio shop (could be hard to do) or hopefully a local member here to check it out in person and give you a better idea of what the problems could be.

The fact that you get sound clears the power supply and the tuner/IF so you about 1/2 there. I would suspect a bad horz out prob from a leaking coupling cap (which is why you dont want to turn in on anymore until its fixed).

if that is not it, then move on to the flyback and HV rectifier. All this is assuming the CRT is not dead.

Phil Nelson
03-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Have contacted a few repair places and NO ONE has seen one of these. We received an "over the phone estimate" at around 400 dollars though.
Did you contact any clubs as I recommended earlier? This is one case where randomly Googling is not an ideal strategy. Personal contacts are best. You want to find the kindly codger who's retired after a lifetime of tv/radio service. He remembers these sets and he could fix yours in his sleep. He's not really in business any more, but he'd be happy to help out the nice lady with the big smile and the cute kids :)

Phil Nelson

DaveWM
03-30-2011, 12:39 PM
I agree with Phil, there may be a club nearby, HAM, Vintage radio, that kind of thing. find one and see if you can get a hold of a member or go to a meeting with some pics. I am kind of suprised you found a repair shop, thats why I was wondering if its a "vintage" shop. I would think a reg repair shop would not want to touch it.

JengaGirl
03-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks, everyone. Will dig further and keep you all posted! I SO appreciate the help, honestly.

DaveWM
03-30-2011, 08:25 PM
oh and by the way that is a VERY nice looking set. I am sure you will enjoy it once you get it up and running. :yes: