View Full Version : Another Fan of old TVs and Radios

init4fun
03-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi , I just registered here , although ive been reading your site for a week or so . The Thread that really caught my eye was the one about the Temple that went for $2500 , gotta love seeing an antique TV bring in that much $$$ ! My main intrests are old TVs and Radios , although as a collector you never know whats going to turn up - ive got some 1920s household items that are just too nice to get rid of , even though they arent really "Electronics" per se ..... Things like a brand new Hair Dryer and a very little used flat iron . Ive even got a 1920s "KodaScope model C" 16mm film projector that works well and is used to show films on every now and then .

Ill end my Hello with a couple of photos of my Olympic TV , and some of my Cathedrals .

Happy Hunting :D

Electrohome
03-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Hello, and welcome to VK:-) You will find lots of very helpful knowledge when it comes to vintage TVs and radios and more on our awesome forum. Welcome aboard:-)

airgrabber-6
03-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Whoa...I love that portable little Stewart-Warner Gadabout! WELCOME!

init4fun
03-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Hi Guys ,

Thank You for the Welcome ! As to the Stewart Warner , thats another of my Yard sale finds , I stop at every one I see and ask "Any really old Radios ? TVs ? , Lionel Trains or old RC Plane equipment ?" ..... 9 times out of ten I hear "Nope , got nothing like that" , But every once in a while I get lucky . I bought a Firestone "Air Chief" for $20 at the same yard sale that I paid $5 for the Gadabout at . Since its a dual power (110 AC or battery) I had to get it going on both means of power , and it took five 9 volt batterys in series to give it its needed 45 volt B supply .

Hey AirGrabber , Im curious about your screen name ......... Back in the 1970s , I owned a Plymouth Road Runner , and the scoop on the hood that connected to the Carbs (three two barrels , or "Trip Deuces" as they were known then) was called the AirGrabber . There was a switch on the dash that when activated opened the scoop for more air into the carbs . The car had 4 speed stick shift , 440 engine , and would pass everything but a Gas Station :D . Can you imagine what that car would be worth today ?

Anyway , its Great to Find a board with people like me who are into the oldies , its nice to know im not alone in my craziness for old electronics :yes:

airgrabber-6
03-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Hi Guys ,

Thank You for the Welcome ! As to the Stewart Warner , thats another of my Yard sale finds , I stop at every one I see and ask "Any really old Radios ? TVs ? , Lionel Trains or old RC Plane equipment ?" ..... 9 times out of ten I hear "Nope , got nothing like that" , But every once in a while I get lucky . I bought a Firestone "Air Chief" for $20 at the same yard sale that I paid $5 for the Gadabout at . Since its a dual power (110 AC or battery) I had to get it going on both means of power , and it took five 9 volt batterys in series to give it its needed 45 volt B supply .

Hey AirGrabber , Im curious about your screen name ......... Back in the 1970s , I owned a Plymouth Road Runner , and the scoop on the hood that connected to the Carbs (three two barrels , or "Trip Deuces" as they were known then) was called the AirGrabber . There was a switch on the dash that when activated opened the scoop for more air into the carbs . The car had 4 speed stick shift , 440 engine , and would pass everything but a Gas Station :D . Can you imagine what that car would be worth today ?

Anyway , its Great to Find a board with people like me who are into the oldies , its nice to know im not alone in my craziness for old electronics :yes:

Only $5 for the S-W Gadabout? Excellent score...good job getting it working on both AC and battery, too! How many bands do you have on that Firestone Air Chief?

Cool "back in the day" pictures of your '70 Road Runner...looks like it was quite a fun car. Is it a dark green color? Multiple carb models bring some coin these days. Did you get rid of it during the fuel crunch of the '70s? Regarding my screen name...well, you nailed it, I am guilty as charged. That's where it came from...I'm a Mopar guy. My '69 Road Runner is a Sunfire Yellow 383-4 barrel 4-speed convertible. I know the ownership history of the car from day one. Just needs paint and finish body work.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f301/airgrabber666/P6210187.jpg

bandersen
03-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Welcome to VK!

Wasn't this thread originally under 'Introductions'. Seems like it should be :scratch2: