View Full Version : RCA Dynamic Demonstrator

Eric H
03-02-2011, 01:16 AM
I recently picked up a large format negative of a store display featuring an RCA Dynamic Demonstrator.
My scanner won't do a negative this large so I'll have to take it somewhere to have it done in high resolution.

Anyone know of an existing demonstrator? Seems like one could be built, that mask is from an 8-TS-30 or a 630TS.

Here's the eBay picture of it.

Electrohome
03-02-2011, 02:12 AM
I have that exact same 12-inch RCA roundie console that's to the right of the RCA Dynamic Demonstrator display that's in this picture. Mine also has the doors as well. It's the RCA on the right with the doors, 12-inch CRT, and rectangular grid speaker grille and is in a mahogany veneer finish. I got it in the summer of 2009 in August.
This a really awesome picture taken in 1949 or very early 1950 at the very latest. This picture was taken in a general Dry Goods store with a music/TV/radio department, most likely in a smaller city or town where there wasn't a large department store. It's these small-town Ma & Pa type stores that are very sadly missed today because of Wal-Mart and other big-box retailers who helped to wreck these small-town stores very tragically putting many people out of work as well.

Steve McVoy
03-02-2011, 07:35 AM
This photo was taken at the Lasalle-Koch department store in Toledo, Ohio.

http://departmentstoremuseum.blogspot.com/2010/05/la-salle-koch-company.html

GeorgeJetson
03-02-2011, 09:36 AM
What is the "Dynamic Demonstrator"?
Was it just a demonstration tv or did it do something special?

Phil Nelson
03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
It looks similar to the demonstrator radios I've seen, which lay out all of the components on a big board with labels. They would be handy in a classroom to teach servicemen radio or TV theory.

If you have loads of wall space and time on your hands, I imagine you could un-engineer an ordinary TV to make a new one. Shielding & lead dress might need some extra attention.

Phil Nelson

GeorgeJetson
03-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks for explaining it to me Phil!
I couldn't make out the picture to well to see all the components,it gets blurry when I try to enlarge it.

Username1
03-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Phil is right! We had a radio, and tv one at our BOCES in the late 70's. Not nearly that big it had a storyboard of what was going on inside. I made one out of a Asteroids video game for them in the late 80's so I would guess that stuff like that may not have been factory made.

radiorich
03-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Hello Eric,
Wow what great find
Like Phil said if you have the wall space then go for it.

Well Electrohome,
my repair shop sold and did warrenty work for years the company that first came to town was Silo .
It sold sets cheaper then I could buy them for

radiorich
03-02-2011, 12:04 PM
hello guys,
well the two store chains I remember in my area growning up was

The Bon Marche
Frederick & Nelson

leadlike
03-02-2011, 12:50 PM
If you had the room, you could buy these things through the Allied Radio Catalog. My '50 edition advertises the AM-FM radio one for 99.50.

bgadow
03-02-2011, 09:19 PM
The radio museum in Huntington, WV has a radio demonstrator, I think a Philco. I think every time I visited they had it playing...very neat peace.