View Full Version : what tv to do first

radiorich
02-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Hello Guys,
Well I would like to fix one of my tube tv's up and was thinking which one to do first.

Here is the top three I would like to pick one from

I have one RCA 8t241's which came with a matching stand

Motorola VK-105 neds a little cabinet tlc

National Model TV-7

Far as picture tubes go I don't know the condition of any of them but I do have a rebuilt RCA picture for the 8t241 I think the motorola uses the same tube right

I know the national would be the easiest to recap right

but between the motorola and rca which one produces the best picture I bet the rca right.

but the motorola is a nice looking set .

Sincerely Rich

David Roper
02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
All things being equal, I'd do the Motorola first. Take a look at the 8T241 schematic and you'll see the circuit is really whittled down compared to a 630. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Motorola beat it in a Pepsi challenge.

Or the National. The National and the Motorola are both highly collectible sets, the RCA is kinda common next to them. I do like the 8T241 cabinet (I should, I have one) but come on--the VT-105 is genuine art deco!

Kevin Kuehn
02-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi Rich,

It's about time you get fixing a TV ;) Sorry, but I'm no use at helping you decide.

Kevin

Eric H
02-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Hi Rich, is the Moto a VK or VT 105?
I have a 105 and the picture on it rivals any RCA I've seen.

David Roper
02-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Oh shoot, he did say VK-105 didn't he? I'd still recommend it first.

Electronic M
02-24-2011, 05:00 PM
I'd go with the one with the least cabinet work, cause I'm sorta lazy. :rolleyes:

Tom C.

radiorich
02-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Hello Ereic,
Well the set I think its The VT-105 because it's mototolas first 1on in tv
I seen your on your site and well thats the same set .

You say that has a better picture then the RCA thats good because it's also a smaller set .

and it's not as heavy to work on

Far as I know the rca and that set uses the same tube right

David Roper
02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
10bp4

radiorich
02-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Hello Dave,
yes that's the tube lately I've been so busy plus I'm in love with this old dear friend and man woman can sure cause your brain to mess up

Rich

leadlike
02-25-2011, 01:10 AM
I'd go with the National, as they are well built sets and easy to work on. The very first tv I ever worked on was an RCA like yours, and it was a total mess. That is definitely not a beginner's set, nor is the Moto.

Eric H
02-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Rich, here's a video of my 105 working, hard to really see how good the picture is in this low resolution video.

The down side to this design is it gets hot as an oven inside that little cabinet, a fan might be a good idea on this model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvVt7lppTKQ

David Roper
02-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Rich is no beginner, he's just full of youthful exuberance. ;)

Sandy G
02-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Is yr National the one that looks like a Boatanchor & has a "Videometer" on it ? That has been an Objet D' Lust of mine since forever...National ham/SWL radios were/are HIGHLY regarded...

Phil Nelson
02-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I agree with leadlike, the National TV-7 is nicely built and roomy underneath, so it should be straightforward to restore. A downside is the small screen, of course. To enjoy watching, you really need to be sitting right in front of it. As a consequence, my National rarely gets turned on.

Phil Nelson

radiorich
02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Hello Sandy,
Well my National is the same set as The one Phil Has on his website
I got mine From Art on The ARF website.

Phil I know that set would be a easy one to restore to.

Right now iot sits displayed next to my Sony 34 in widescreen hdtv .

Man next to the sony that national looks like a watchman tv in size.

Phil
the main thing with that national is I notice you need to use some high voltage caps .

Does mouser carry those or where else do you get them

Far as the cabinet on that set goes all it need is a minor repair when Art sent to me the front wooden panel came loose but over all the finish is in really good shape
So I will becareful and glue the front back one.

luckly the picture tube did not get damaged or anything else.

Sincerely Rich
it's cool to have a set with channel one on it when I'm done with thiset I'll hook up my blonder tongue converter

radiorich
02-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Hello Leadlike,
Well I'm not a beginner far as tv's go I worked on my tv's then old radsios but still has been like 10 years since Iworked on a tube tv mostly solidstate sets.

Far tv's i worked on a lot of Rca's Zeniths Sony sets since my shop sold and did warrenty for those brands along with motorola, Phillips sylvania Sharp ,Philco

Rich

radiorich
02-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Hello Phil,
Far as that National goes I'm sure greatful for your website it really goes in detail about that set .

Rich
P.S. right now on my bench are a couple of view sonice computer monitors with bad powersupply caps .
these are 2007 model and 2009 model sets 22in lcds