View Full Version : Couple of Cool Portables

jr_tech
02-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Showed up on the 'Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-TR-001-TINY-MICRO-CRT-TELEVISION-TV-WORKING-/120680689284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c19212e84

http://cgi.ebay.com/60s-MOTOROLA-RADIO-SPACE-AGE-TUBE-TYPE-RETRO-TV-WORKS-/260732007780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb4d6b564

not affiliated,
jr

DaveWM
02-04-2011, 07:17 PM
that little Motorola is nice, think its all tube?

jr_tech
02-04-2011, 07:26 PM
The Photofact for it (864-3) dates to early 1967, so I'm guessing that it is all tube... anybody know for sure? Cute little set, I don't recall seeing a side handle/antenna combination before.
jr

dieseljeep
02-04-2011, 09:44 PM
The Photofact for it (864-3) dates to early 1967, so I'm guessing that it is all tube... anybody know for sure? Cute little set, I don't recall seeing a side handle/antenna combination before.
jr

That model is all tube. The only transistor is in the UHF tuner. They were better than the GE of the same year, but not by much.

Sandy G
02-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Me likey the little Panasonic, too !

bgadow
02-04-2011, 10:24 PM
That side handle became something of a Motorola trademark. They used it on 12" sets up until they sold out-not sure if Quasar continued them? I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

jr_tech
02-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Me likey the little Panasonic, too !

Ditto! These things rarely show up... but here is another one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Panasonic-IC-TV-Micro-Television-TR-001-Book-/360341956576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e60de7e0

not affiliated,
jr

Jeffhs
02-07-2011, 08:05 PM
I wonder what uses a teeny-tiny set like that Panasonic could be put to these days. Only thing I can think of is as a computer monitor or CCTV/video monitor. It could be used with an ATSC->NTSC DTV converter box, of course, but ... putting a box on a set like that, and tethering it to an antenna, defeats the purpose of its being battery operated and portable; after all, these sets were meant to be portable, not tied down by antenna cables or power cords. Until someone comes out with a digital TV that will actually work while being carried about (the 7" Haier, etc. portables I've seen in the ad flyers in my Sunday paper won't work worth a darn on their monopole antennas while being hand-carried, and even when stationary they often won't work well in many areas), I'm afraid DTV has pretty much killed the idea of truly portable television. :no:

radiotvnut
02-07-2011, 08:28 PM
I wonder what uses a teeny-tiny set like that Panasonic could be put to these days. Only thing I can think of is as a computer monitor or CCTV/video monitor. It could be used with an ATSC->NTSC DTV converter box, of course, but ... putting a box on a set like that, and tethering it to an antenna, defeats the purpose of its being battery operated and portable; after all, these sets were meant to be portable, not tied down by antenna cables or power cords. Until someone comes out with a digital TV that will actually work while being carried about (the 7" Haier, etc. portables I've seen in the ad flyers in my Sunday paper won't work worth a darn on their monopole antennas while being hand-carried, and even when stationary they often won't work well in many areas), I'm afraid DTV has pretty much killed the idea of truly portable television. :no:

That's true. The only way any of these battery operated portables can be used is to either connect them to a DTV converter, a satellite receiver, a digital cable box, or directly to analog cable. Of course, all of these methods defeat the purpose of the TV being a carry around portable. The only other exceptions would be if the user had an "in house" TV transmitter or if there was a LPTV analog TV station in the area. Of course, the "in house" transmitter would only be good for a very short distance. I have several portable B&W TV's. One of which, a 3.5" Panasonic from the late '70's, saw regular use during power outages and bad weather. That all came to a stop when analog full power broadcasting went away.

Sandy G
02-07-2011, 08:38 PM
That's true, Jeff, but I'd STILL like to have me one...I have/had several of its later brothers, including the CT-101, & they're pretty useless, but I just like 'em FOR WHAT THEY ARE...Honestly, they were pretty useless back before the analog shutdown...You'd get one helluva whangin' headache if you really tried to squint & watch one of 'em for very long, but that really wasn't the point...They were, and are, to ME anyway, just Kewl as all hell, & I don't regret a bit having any of 'em.

jr_tech
02-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Sandy .... exactly my thoughts, The little Panasonic I believe to be the first portable that used an IC! A significant milestone by itself, which makes the set highly collectible! Cuteness counts here, as well! I do like to pack the little portables around the house, as we still have a low power VHF channel in the area with decent programming. When that is gone, I likely will set up a B-T modulator and feed it with "This" or "Antenna TV" or "RTV", or perhaps set up all 3 on different channels.
fun stuff,
jr

Sandy G
02-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Yep, Jr, It was Big-Time Hot Stuff back in 1970-71 when it came out... As well as I remember, they were pretty Muy Expensivo, too, & not many were sold, because of that & they were plainly a "novelty" item. I don't ever remember actually seeing one in a store, just in ads in "upscale" magazines like "National Geographic' & such as that... Never saw a CT-101 in the wild, I had the local hardware store order me one. I got all kinds of "Fish-Eye" looks-"WHY would anyone want THAT ?!? For THAT kinda money, why you coulda about got yerself a Console...."

GeorgeJetson
02-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Speaking of small Panasonic tv's, how long did the "orbitel" stay around for and was it a good seller?

Phil Nelson
02-08-2011, 11:09 AM
The only other exceptions would be if the user had an "in house" TV transmitter or if there was a LPTV analog TV station in the area. Of course, the "in house" transmitter would only be good for a very short distance.
I have an in-house transmitter (Blonder-Tongue agile modulator). It works well enough that I can take a handheld TV outside to the yard swing and watch TV there. That's the only practical use I can find for my handhelds. I have about half a dozen and can't justify getting more just because they're cute.

I think that Panasonic might be the first in their micro TV line. I have a couple of the later models and they work well.

I often have a TV playing near the workbench when I'm working on this or that, receiving something from the in-house transmitter. Used a JVC VideoSphere that way for years. My current choice is one of those awful little jellybean TVs that a guy gave me. I can hear the sound just fine, which is all I care about most of the time. And I don't care if I knock it off the bench or splash solder on the screen!

Phil Nelson