View Full Version : Interesting tv/phono combo... brand?

RitchieMars
01-25-2011, 06:22 PM
http://greenville.craigslist.org/atq/2180095620.html

I rarely see set's of this vintage in my area, but this one just popped up in Easley. The asking price is definitely not happening, and I let them know that in advance but I did offer to have a look at it, providing it wasn't too far out of the way. Looks like it's missing knobs, though... and I have no idea who made it.

bandersen
01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
It's a Motorola. Their old logo was a squiggly 'M' that kinda looked like sine waves. I think it's a model 16K2 and, yes, it's missing big orange knobs.

RitchieMars
01-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Ah, that's the one I was thinking of when I first saw it but I wasn't sure. I wrapped up my Zenith and put my projects aside all winter, so it's been awhile!

wa2ise
01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
But it has a lion eating a big donut! :D

Jeffhs
01-29-2011, 10:21 AM
It's a Motorola. Their old logo was a squiggly 'M' that kinda looked like sine waves. I think it's a model 16K2 and, yes, it's missing big orange knobs.

That's not all it's missing. I see the glass cover in front of the radio dial is gone as well.

radiotvnut
01-29-2011, 11:57 AM
And, it looks like the wood on the turntable drawer is busted. Since it's missing knobs and the dial glass, it would have to be real cheap, would have to be very local, and I'd have to have more room than I've got now.

jr_tech
01-29-2011, 01:56 PM
And, it looks like the wood on the turntable drawer is busted. Since it's missing knobs and the dial glass, it would have to be real cheap, would have to be very local, and I'd have to have more room than I've got now.
Agree! very close and perhaps FREE would work for me! It looks as if the dial glass is still there, but the set is perhaps missing a wooden panel that would be in front of the dial glass with holes for the shafts.
Do the pictures make sense? Where is the lion head with respect to the main body of the set? Note that the body of the set appears to overhang the feet considerably on each side, but the lion head panel appears to be fairly flush with the feet.
jr

Eric H
01-29-2011, 03:01 PM
I had a similar Motorola except in a more conventional square cabinet. It was missing the TV part though so I scrapped it.
I still have the turntable and it's an interesting unit with a weird center mounted tone arm and a triangular shaped table.

ggregg
01-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Richey,
I had one of those a few years back, looks to be the close to the same model. Although mine had doors on it and was on long skinny legs. Bought it in nearly MINT condition for $35.00 at an antique shop no less. First TV I ever restored. It is easy to work on and mine worked quite well. That one is missing the board in front of the radio and yes the turntable looks funny. $100 is way too high for that one. FYI, it weighs a ton! of course what combo doesn't.

holmesuser01
02-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I've got relatives in Easley SC. Sometimes I think there is something like bad water going on down there. I've met some strange people there. Maybe its the hot summers, and mosquitos??? $500 for that set? They need to get off the powder!

No offence intended for any upper SC VK'ians reading here.