View Full Version : I just tossed someone's TV

radiotvnut
01-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Around the 1st of November, someone brought me a very beat to heck BOTL RCA CTC177 console TV for repair. Despite it looking like hell, she just "had to have it fixed". So, I made her pay a $15 check-out fee up front and got her phone number. Like an idiot, I didn't get her address.

It turns out that the regulator IC, B+ diode, and fuse were defective. So, I called to give her an estimate. Some man answered the phone and I told him what I wanted. He said he'd have her call me back to let me know what to do with the TV. Of course, she never did. After many times of this, I decided that the next call would be "you've got until Friday to pick it up or it goes to the trash". The problem is that no one ever answered the phone. One time, I got a busy signal. When I immediately called back, the phone rang with no answer. That tells me that they likely looked at the caller ID, saw who it was, and didn't answer. I tried to find an address on her phone number; but, it's a private number and nothing comes up.

Today, when I brought home 3 console stereo's and saw her POS TV taking up space, a nerve was struck and her TV was then moved outside to the junk pile. If she wants it, she'd better come after it before the junk man shows up.

What will likely happen is she'll show up about six months after the TV is gone. Then, she'll pitch a fit and threaten legal action because I tossed her "valuable" TV. You know, it's perfectly OK for her to give me the runaround and leave her junk over here to take up space; but, heaven forbid if I toss her TV.

Years ago, I had a similar situation where I sold a repaired TV because the young punk that owned it wouldn't come get it. Months later, he came back, threatening to take me to court when he found out I sold it. I told him to do whatever he had to do and I never heard another word out of him or his lawyer.

In the future, I'll get their full name, address, and phone number. That way, my butt's covered in the event that I have to send them a registered letter. If they don't want to give me their address; then, I won't accept their junk. Heck, I'm about tired of working on other people's junk, anyway. I have enough of my own to fix.

50scraze
01-22-2011, 08:48 PM
well im with you. If they dont wanna pick it up in a timely manner..or even respond to you're phone calls...too bad...you're not a storage service.

jpdylon
01-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Bryan,

The way we've done it at the store I work at is as follows:

1. Ask for a non refundable "minimum service charge" that applies to the bill. Don't call it a deposit, because in the legal world deposits are refundable.

2. The approved estimate over the phone should be written down (auth. by who, time, means of communication, etc.)

3. Have them sign a separate document when they leave the set indicating that the set must be picked up within x number of days after we call you. It doesn't work out legally if its fine print on an invoice. You could also say after 7 days it incurs storage charges and after 21 days you forfeit the set. It must be on a separate document. Give them a copy. This form can also include any "cover your ass" isms that indemnify you from anything other than your repair work.

We've gotten alot of legal council on these matters because of the large number of folks who abandon units where I work. We've also had to deal with the repercussions of customers like yours when we didn't have this document. It can get nasty.

Chad Hauris
01-23-2011, 07:17 AM
At our repair shop we have really gotten away from any consumer equipment repairs and have concentrated exclusively on Hammond organs and some jukeboxes. With the organs the clients are still actively using them and will pay us fairly and on time to get them repaired.
If you were to get paid fairly for what your technical expertise is worth the repair bill on an old TV like this would be a lot more than the monetary value of it. If I were you I wouldn't work on TV's for clients...time is the most precious thing you have so don't waste it on situations like this.

radiotvnut
01-23-2011, 01:17 PM
At our repair shop we have really gotten away from any consumer equipment repairs and have concentrated exclusively on Hammond organs and some jukeboxes. With the organs the clients are still actively using them and will pay us fairly and on time to get them repaired.
If you were to get paid fairly for what your technical expertise is worth the repair bill on an old TV like this would be a lot more than the monetary value of it. If I were you I wouldn't work on TV's for clients...time is the most precious thing you have so don't waste it on situations like this.

My experience with working on vintage electronics for other people has usually been better than working on current equipment. With old equipment, the owners usually want it fixed and it's not like they can go out and buy a 1934 Atwater Kent radio at wal-mart. I can only recall one case where an old radio was left here. It was a '40's Crosley wooden table model radio/record player combination that an older lady owned. She claimed it had no sentimental value and that she bought it at a yard sale for $25 for the purpose of playing her old records. The repair estimate was more than she wanted to spend and I told her that a record player could probably be found for a cheaper price, if all she wanted was something to play records. I asked her what she wanted to do with the radio and I offered to buy it for the $25 she paid for it. She said she'd think about it and get back to me. That was probably 4 years ago and all attempts to contact her were unsuccessful. So, I guess I'm the owner of a '40's Crosley, for free.

With modern electronics, most of it is considered "throw away" and many people expect a $2 repair. So, yeah, I probably need to stop accepting modern electronics for repair.

radiotvnut
01-23-2011, 01:24 PM
And, what's sad is that the console TV in question could be repaired; but, why bother? The particleboard cabinet looks like crap and '90's era console TV's are hard to get rid of, even in pristine condition. The last newer console that I had was in perfect shape and I had a very hard time finding someone to take it. Even if I fixed this set with used parts, it would just sit here from now on.

holmesuser01
02-16-2011, 04:23 PM
I had a customer bring me a VCR about 10 years ago to check out for her. I had free estimates then. I checked it over, and called her with the estimate. She told me to go ahead and fix it. Told her when it would be ready. She's OK with that. Fixed it within a week and called her. Said she'd be by in a few days to get it.

Fast forward 3 years. Its still here! I kept it on a shelf. Wasn't in the way, and I have new parts in it.

Go another year... I need the parts I put in this VCR for another repair. I pull the parts and toss the machine in the trash. The same afternoon, I see the owner of the now trashed VCR out on the street. She recognized me. The next afternoon, she comes by to pick up her VCR. The trash is being picked up as she stands there screaming at me when I tell her the thing is gone. Threats to sue me, etc. I told her to either leave my property, or stick around until the police arrive. I dialed 9-1- and told her again what she needed to do. She gets in her car and tears up my driveway with her spinning tires.

I have a sign up in my shop that states: ANYTHING LEFT OVER 30 DAYS AFTER REPAIRS ARE DONE WILL BE SOLD OR JUNKED. It was there when she brought the machine to me in the first place!

She had her son come by one evening to inquire about the VCR. He was very nice, and I sold him a nice little camcorder. He told me his mom had replaced the VCR the same day that she brought it to me to fix. The replacement VCR died the day before she ran into me. He understood why I trashed the machine.

Dealing with the public. Sometimes, I truly HATE dealing with folks. Other times, I cant think of a better job to have.

Bruce

radiotvnut
02-16-2011, 04:41 PM
That was probably a case where the woman was mad at her self and knew that she was in the wrong. The only problem is that she couldn't come out and admit that she was wrong; so, she lashed out at you.

BTW, I still have not heard from the woman who owns the TV. The TV is still sitting on the trash pile with more bubbles in it's already trashed particleboard cabinet. The junk man has been called to come haul off my junk and as soon as he shows up, her TV will officially be gone.

A year from now, she'll suddenly remember that it was over here and then she'll show her butt when I can't produce it. That's OK, I'll just do what you did and give her the option to either leave on her own or leave with assistance from the cops.

Had this woman made an effort to do the right thing (as in, stay in contact with me), I would have probably hung on to this TV for a year. However, when people have zero respect for me, why should I have any for them?

Dude111
02-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Im sorry they dumped this on you :(

AUdubon5425
02-17-2011, 11:57 PM
I know what'll make you feel better: have the dog give that set a "back leg salute" next time you take her out.