View Full Version : Curtis Mathis Mobile Home/TV

Eric H
09-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Looks like a 40 footer :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63564&item=6120299952&rd=1

veg-o-matic
09-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Didn't think it was going to be a roundie when I first stumbled across it.

Mobile home, nothin'! That is one significant piece of real estate! Probably has its own zip code.

Sandy G
09-20-2004, 09:51 PM
The roundie C/M was neat but dig the RCA 621TS a couple auctions away... THAT would be something to have !!-Sandy G.

Charlie
09-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Would definately need a delivery van for that beast!

The auction says it's a late 50's, but the mask looks pretty damn close to the same CM roundie I have from 1966.

If I am not mistaken, 1957 was CM's first year for being named "Curtis Mathes" and it was also their first year for having electronics. Before that, they were known as Mathes Manufacturing and made furniture.

Eric H
09-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I want that bad but too far away... As if I could afford it anyway :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sandy G
The roundie C/M was neat but dig the RCA 621TS a couple auctions away... THAT would be something to have !!-Sandy G.

colortrakker
09-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Based on what little I'm qualified to say about it, the TV's got CTC-16 written all over it. And a UHF tuner. I'm thinkin' circa 1964.

But that's just me. Only two people, huh?

Eric H
09-21-2004, 12:31 AM
If the two people are Ahhnold and Sylvester.

My B&W CM about killed me and the guy who moved it last. It hasn't budged in the 2 1/2 years since and if I ever move again I will probably have to hire someone because by then my back will be too far gone to even attempt it!

Good quality particle board is heavy stuff! :eek:

Originally posted by colortrakker
Only two people, huh?

Charlie
09-21-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by colortrakker
Based on what little I'm qualified to say about it, the TV's got CTC-16 written all over it. And a UHF tuner. I'm thinkin' circa 1964.

But that's just me. Only two people, huh?

The chassis in mine is a ctc-15 clone, but all of the parts inside are dated 1966. IMS, the CM chassis number on it is C24. Since I've gone thru mine, it has been a great performer!

captainmoody
09-21-2004, 06:49 AM
Wow! I thought my Moto monster was long at over 72 inches, That thing has to be eight feet!

Carmine
09-21-2004, 08:51 AM
I do hope somebody saves that monster. The part about "A serviceman told my mother to remove the crummy old tube TV and install a new one" was a chilling.

Although I am a bit disappointed to hear that CM was just another RCA-clone. I always "heard" that CM was a really top-of-the-line set.

We had this debate before... Did anybody build/design roundie color sets besides RCA and Zenith?

Chad Hauris
09-21-2004, 09:19 AM
I think if you count some of the very early 15"/ 19" and some 21" models from around 54-55 there were other chassis designs, such as Motorola, Philco, Sparton, and others.
Also there are some later 60's round sets that have their own makers' designs...I have an Admiral round set that is definitely an Admiral designed chassis.

The CM black and white sets and tube stereos were their own designs...the black and white sets appear to be a CM design and of high quality. We have worked on several of the CM console stereos and B/w TV's...as they were based in Texas they appear to be quite common here.

Have had some CM stereos though, that had a ton of burned wiring due to a shorted rectifier tube, as they don't have a fuse in the power line (have added one to any that has come in for repair).

CM made some monster-sized sets in the 70's that had a hutch above the main part of the console, containing stereo components...the whole thing was made of particle board, talk about heavy!

jasonlava
09-21-2004, 09:55 AM
That thing wouldn't fit IN my mobile home. It would never get in the front door.

jasonlava
09-21-2004, 09:59 AM
The record player is a VM changer from the mid 60s.

I'm guessing it's a 65

Charlie
09-21-2004, 10:06 AM
One of the fellas I work with told me he remembers from years ago a slogan for CM... "The most expensive television in America... and damn well worth it!"

I dont know whether or not that was true, but it does sound like a catchy slogan.

jstout66
09-21-2004, 10:36 AM
yep. I remember that slogan! My uncle & grandpa used to cuss about it! (we were Zenith dealers) Curtis Mathes also offered the longest warranty, and best cabinet designs. However.... my Uncle always said CM was expensive because of the warranty. He wasn't fond of them, and always said the people "paid up front" for when they would blow up. I think Curtis Mathes were re-badged NEC's from the mid 70's on.... Anyway, I would LOVE to get this set , as Des Moines really isn't that far from me, but I think the people that let me store stuff would be po'd. That sucker is HUGE!

nasadowsk
10-21-2004, 08:23 PM
I've actually seen larger. Seriously.

Was this a like a status thing in the 60's and 70's to have a SUPER wide TV/stereo/radio/thing ?

bgadow
10-22-2004, 08:44 AM
I always kick myself for losing out on this big Westinghouse. It was at a local antique mall that has an auction house in the back. The Westinghouse had doors in front of the electronics, included a bw tv, remote control, stereo, phono, tape deck (although I can't remember what kind, was it reel-to-reel?) Late 50s model. It sat on the mall floor for years and the price finally drifted down to $45. The last time I saw it they had moved it into the back but I kinda doubt they ever auctioned it off. I wonder what happened to it? But really, what would I do with it? I know it was 8 feet long at least. Better to use that space for a couple roundies...

Charlie
10-22-2004, 02:44 PM
There was one bidder giving 40 bucks for the Cutis Mathes. i wonder if it's anyone we know?