View Full Version : Someone save this Zenith

JCFitz
01-10-2011, 11:44 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Color-TV-/130473747821?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e60d7656d

He says a 1963 model.

edison64
01-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Wouldn't you know it...... just my luck. I was just down there last week.....couldn't even find a lousy tube.....:no:

zenithfan1
01-11-2011, 12:10 PM
That's most likely a 1965 model, I can tell by the bezel. The '63's had a more rounded look to them. They changed in mid '64. This looks like a nice one well worth saving.

Tubejunke
01-11-2011, 05:57 PM
The set pictured is identical to my 1964 model 5111, but mine has the metal cabinet. I did not see a location in the ad. Where is it? I would MUCH rather start with a set that is producing a full raster. My set has several issues (probably capacitors), and does nothing but smoke. I haven't had the time or money to investigate so far, but since I normally mess with black and white sets, for me starting into vintage color would be better with a set like this.

rca2000
01-11-2011, 06:18 PM
It says "Parkersberg, West Virginia. IIRC, I went there years ago to pick up a few vintage sets that were tossed by a TV shop the day after thanksgiving,2004. A couple have been "passed on" to other VK'ers by now. Right now--I have neither time nor money to get it.

Tubejunke
01-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks! Too far even from southern VA to really be worth the trip. I sure hope the set makes it to a loving home and not a landfill! You don't find that many 'plug and play' sets any more and with that bright raster I would say that it wouldn't take much to be at 100%, if it isn't already.

compucat
01-11-2011, 08:06 PM
I wish this set were close to me. It looks almost like the one I have. It probably uses the 25MC33 chassis. It would be nice to have it for spare parts if nothing else. The picture tube alone makes it worth getting.

ClarusWorks
01-12-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm new here, but I saw this auction a few days ago and have been looking for a vintage TV to restore.

ClarusWorks
01-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, *that* turned into quite the bidding frenzy. Hopefully a buyer willing to spend that amount isn't interested in fish bowls.

Jeffhs
01-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks! Too far even from southern VA to really be worth the trip. I sure hope the set makes it to a loving home and not a landfill! You don't find that many 'plug and play' sets any more and with that bright raster I would say that it wouldn't take much to be at 100%, if it isn't already.

The set may have other problems, even though it has a full, bright raster (it obviously is not connected to a converter box). That's one thing I don't like about the digital TV transition -- it is nearly impossible to test old TVs these days simply using an antenna connected directly to the set unless your area has low-power or translator stations, or else you have analog cable TV service. Analog cable will work with an older TV up to channel 13, with the cable connected to the set's VHF antenna terminals through a 75-to-300-ohm matching transformer. This was done almost universally in cable's early years through about the '70s, when most cable systems only carried 12 broadcast channels (locals, if any, plus some out-of-town stations) and no movie channels.

zenithfan1
01-18-2011, 09:04 AM
It says "Parkersberg, West Virginia. IIRC, I went there years ago to pick up a few vintage sets that were tossed by a TV shop the day after thanksgiving,2004. A couple have been "passed on" to other VK'ers by now. Right now--I have neither time nor money to get it.

Was that "Stiles TV"? That's where my CTC-9 got it's new picture tube in 1968 in Parkersburg, West Virginia. I think it spent most of it's life in that city.

newman
01-18-2011, 03:45 PM
The set may have other problems, even though it has a full, bright raster (it obviously is not connected to a converter box). That's one thing I don't like about the digital TV transition -- it is nearly impossible to test old TVs these days simply using an antenna connected directly to the set unless your area has low-power or translator stations, or else you have analog cable TV service. Analog cable will work with an older TV up to channel 13, with the cable connected to the set's VHF antenna terminals through a 75-to-300-ohm matching transformer. This was done almost universally in cable's early years through about the '70s, when most cable systems only carried 12 broadcast channels (locals, if any, plus some out-of-town stations) and no movie channels.

These explanations to basic TV principles are fascinating. I once ran into a case of having a two lead 300 ohm wire that needed to attach to a 75 ohm F connector on a newer TV set. Is there by chance an an adapter for this situation too? :dunno:

rca2000
01-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Was that "Stiles TV"? That's where my CTC-9 got it's new picture tube in 1968 in Parkersburg, West Virginia. I think it spent most of it's life in that city.

It might have been.It had been closed down by the time I got there. All of the sets were in front of the building, for disposal. It was a building with a large glass window on the front, IIRC, and was set over a hill or gully. It was on the right side of the road, as I came into the city.

radio63
01-18-2011, 07:23 PM
These explanations to basic TV principles are fascinating. I once ran into a case of having a two lead 300 ohm wire that needed to attach to a 75 ohm F connector on a newer TV set. Is there by chance an an adapter for this situation too? :dunno:

Oh sure, 300 to 75 ohm adaptors are commonplace. Or they used to be, but there's plenty of them around. Most people who work on old TVs or electronics have a few kicking around the work area.

Gilbert

jr_tech
01-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Oh sure, 300 to 75 ohm adaptors are commonplace. Or they used to be, but there's plenty of them around.

Even Amazon has 'em:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SWV2008W-27-Matching-Transformers/dp/B003TJAF36/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1295389342&sr=8-13
Not Affiliated,
jr

bgadow
01-18-2011, 10:22 PM
I ended up with a couple sets from that store in Parkersburg. I did some swapping with a gentleman who lives out there and he had salvaged a couple late 60s Zeniths, a color console and a 19" bw portable. I passed the $ervice $aver on to a collector in VA but still have the bw. Some of these sets we have really rack up the miles!