View Full Version : Nice desktop background

compu_85
01-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I took this image a couple years ago while visiting a friend... he had a bin of tubes from his Hammond Novachord. It came out great, I use it as one of my desktop backgrounds.

Warning: High res image: http://compu85.homeip.net/stuff/Tubes.jpg

-Jason

JohnHacker1
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Nice!
Looks like my tube accumulation. I have many hundreds-all in shoeboxes! At least I have them sorted by voltage, number of pins, etc. So now it takes only 15 minutes to find one. I DO keep the oldies/rarities seperate-one box is marked "guard this with your life".

Dude111
12-05-2016, 04:16 AM
Wow thats huge!!!!

I just have clouds as my Background :)

Jon A.
12-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Wow thats huge!!!!

I just have clouds as my Background :)
Whoa, Win 9X/NT/2K? Hard to pull off using that online nowadays. Small RAM footprint anyway. And to think, I used to be impressed by a hand-down Pentium 166MMX with 64 megs, and the first time I heard of a system with 256 and a 21"(?) monitor I was like, supercomputer.

Back on topic, I'm no photo expert, but that shot looks very artistic. A pic of a cluster of glowing tubes would be awesome too.

Electronic M
12-05-2016, 03:27 PM
Some time ago I took a newer version of the picture in my avatar with more interesting lighting and made it my desktop on my main rig.

With how ungodly slow, cantankerous, and outdated win9x is, it blows my mind that there are still people crazy enough to use it.....It seems crazy to me in the same way that a person needing to take a drive in a blizzard picking a decrepit Model T Ford convertible without heat over a recently made 4WD SUV would.

vts1134
12-05-2016, 04:59 PM
....It seems crazy to me in the same way that a person needing to take a drive in a blizzard picking a decrepit Model T Ford convertible without heat over a recently made 4WD SUV would.

Or someone who would choose a hopelessly out of date tube television over a state of the art 4K OLED...

Electronic M
12-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Or someone who would choose a hopelessly out of date tube television over a state of the art 4K OLED...

You can still at least watch down-rezed 4K on a NTSC set and get a decent feel for the action....Much of the web is totally incompatible with win98...Not to mention the abandonment of support for it on a bunch of critically important fronts.

I can see using win98 for retro-ish gaming, or operating some necessary/beloved dinosaur of a peripheral that newer drivers don't exist for, but beyond that it is using a manual hand crank drill in an era when power drills are cheaper to get.

Jon A.
12-05-2016, 09:26 PM
For me it's a trade-off. The older sets look a lot better, can be worked on and there's the satisfaction of repair and/or restoration. Besides, I sit several feet away and there's no pressing need to see finer details. With computers, once I started using LCDs I didn't want to go back.

As for old computers, why they command such ludicrous prices nowadays even though they're all but useless is beyond me.

Dude111
12-06-2016, 04:49 AM
Whoa, Win 9X/NT/2K?Yup Jon its Win98se,my favourite OS :)

Jon A.
12-06-2016, 05:32 AM
Yup Jon its Win98se,my favourite OS :)
Right on. 98SE is the best of the 9X/ME family.

Back in '04 I was using a Power Mac 8100/100 with OS 8.6. Even though the 'net wasn't as graphics-intensive as it is now, the thing dragged when I hit pages with a few animated GIFs. It was replaced by an early model G3 desktop later that year which pretty much self-destructed about a year later. Then came the blue and white G3, another dog. That was put out to pasture for a new Celeron 1.4 laptop with XP Home. It was a real pain to use at first with the pre-installed 256 MB RAM. Eventually I dropped in a 512 meg module along with the 256 and it ran a lot better. Still Mac-hungry though I got a dual 867 G4 and put away the laptop. It was quickly left in the dust because of the Intel switchover. Eventually it would fail to start after being put in sleep mode or shut down and I would have to unplug it for a minute or so to get it going again. This was long after I pulled the PRAM battery and didn't replace it. I got as much as I could out of it before switching to a HP-Compaq P4 tower with Win 7 Pro almost two years ago. Recently I got another HP-Compaq tower with an Intel Core 2 Duo and 7 Pro. Hopefully it lasts me a while. Macs have gotten too flashy for me. Also, why pay big bucks for something made in China? Windows has treated me well since XP and I'm quite satisfied with it. A Mac came in handy recently though, they are the only computers at the library with a SD card reader, and I had to retrieve files from my dead camera's card.