View Full Version : Channel indicator help needed CTC20

rcafan
01-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Help, Does someone have a fix. The CTC20 channel indicator is a round plastic with a geared bottom that joins with another gear on the channel
selector shaft.as the tuner is rotated the round plastic number holder also rotates. Over the years the plastic channel indicator has slightly warped out of round causing it to slip off the drive gear as it is rotated.Sorry for the long
description, but if anyone has repaired the problem, you will understand my
poor description. Help appreciated

freakaftr8
01-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Is the shaft that the channel indicator connected to also plastic? Or is it metal, and I wonder how it was sealed to the shaft at one time.

I would say a dab of plastic epoxy. If the indicator hone has expanded from the heat of the lamp, I would say add some kind of shim inside the hole and press it back on to te shaft. But take warning to the fact that if you perss it too hard, you could snap the whole assembly.

bgadow
01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I have some similiar parts in my stash. Does the Sams have a part number for it? Moyers might also have one NOS.

marty59
01-07-2011, 09:28 PM
You could build up some JB Weld in that area and then file/smooth it down to match the gear pattern. May not look pretty but it would work!

reeferman
01-07-2011, 09:58 PM
The teeth on the drum are barely contacting the black gear indicating something has moved, causing the slippage. What holds the black gear in place (As I recall a snap ring)? What I would do is to disassemble the contraption and add a washer to the end opposite the teeth (on the black gear). That move the black gear into the drum and should fix the problem. That is assuming there are no dark discolored brittle teeth on the drum. Good luck. Phil

ChrisW6ATV
01-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I agree with Marty, if the black gear in that picture is OK but the clear gear on the channel-indicator cylinder is warped, add substance to the "high"/lifting-away parts of the clear gear teeth to make them stay in contact.

reeferman
01-07-2011, 10:20 PM
What exactly is happening to the teeth when changing channels...up/down/in/out?

Are the drum teeth riding above those on the black gear?

Are both gear teeth above and beyond each other causing the slippage? (That's what it looks like to me)

When you change the channel is the drum lifting and disengaging from the black gear?

Let us know.

old_coot88
01-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Have you checked the drum carefully to verify that all the teeth are present and accounted for? A very common problem on those was lost teeth due to the customer aggressively flipping (more like ripping) through the channels. Bill(oc)

rcafan
01-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks for all the great tips, I am evaluating all of them and should
end up with a repair, I will post the fix, Thanks

kx250rider
01-09-2011, 11:48 AM
I don't have one, but I can say you have good hope to get a NOS one. Every time I've gotten hold of a package lot of NOS RCA parts, there are a few of those in it. Somebody will likely post up.

Charles

marty59
01-09-2011, 02:00 PM
The Howard Sams for this set is 837-2 and I didn't see any reference for the channel indicator and I looked at a couple of other Sam's too. Even though that was a pretty common part, an RCA number would be nice for reference.
You can always try to locate one later but at least you have something to work with for now!

stromberg6
01-09-2011, 05:19 PM
All great responses to your problem. I noticed another thing you might do that may be unrelated to your slippage problem: Maybe try to tie the lead to the light to the support above the lead with a "twister" such is found on bread wrappers, etc. It won't solve the problem down below, but might prevent further scraping on top of the number "wheel". Just a thought...
Kevin

bgadow
01-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Can you post the diameter and height? With that I can go through what I have and see if anything matches.

rcafan
01-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Diameter is 2 3/8"
Height is 1 3/8" including gear teeth

reeferman
01-11-2011, 12:01 AM
You never did tell us how the gears were in relation to each other or if there are missing teeth. Why not?

rcafan
01-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Cought Me, I should have responded to that question, All the teeth on all the gears are good. I wish to proclaim that I am close to winning this battle using a number of ideas proclaimed in prior posts.

Very shortly --probably tomorrow, I will post the fix that worked for me.

Thanks, Neil

reeferman
01-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Let us know.

rcafan
01-12-2011, 12:50 PM
The CTC20 channel indicator has been fixed.

Details are--the channel drum is mounted on a vertical stem that is
attached to a horizontal "L" bracket bolted to the front of the tuner mounting
frame.. by elongating the mounting hole on the L bracket toward the rear
(closer to the tuner) the drum can be moved back 1/16 " thereby engaging
with the drive gear on the tuner shaft.

The only other fixes to the set was replacing the Horiz osc and a small amount of vacuuming the inside, Pix tube was replaced in 83 by RCA and appears to have no hours on it. for a note of interest--the photographic finish on the metal cabinet looks great, would not know it from a foot away.

Thanks ALL, Neil