View Full Version : This guy's got balls...

miniman82
01-06-2011, 11:14 PM
To open the HV cage on a known bad set, with the POWER ON!!! :yikes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIUlYZgkTE

reeferman
01-06-2011, 11:27 PM
All the magic smoke escaped. Too bad.

JoeNewberry
01-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Why plug it back in just to make it smoke some more?

jpdylon
01-07-2011, 12:19 AM
I believe I know who this man is. He is one of us.

One of us, one of us, ONE OF US! :D

I think that's Dan (ctc17)

Figure what's done is done. If its on its way to failure obviously there's not much you're going to be able to do about it. If the fly internally shorts or arcs its near impossible to fix unless you're really good at unwinding transformers.

ctc17
01-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Did you watch the follow up video of replacing that with a packard bell flyback? That chassis has also had a full alignment and has an awesome picture.

jpdylon
01-07-2011, 12:35 AM
yeah, I did. It really does look awesome.

Hemingray
01-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Here's one with a cap in a set letting itself go. (same person)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMKjRCBM3ss

ctc17
01-07-2011, 09:22 PM
I am *the* person. And I am not afraid of anything.

As far as the videos go, I always have the camera sitting near any set I am working on. I love smoke, arcing and fire. If the flyback is internally arcing, may as well let it finish off.
I try and go a bit deeper into the restoration of the old color sets. Alignments, substitutions of no longer available parts and other 'taboo' areas.

Im just getting started with the video thing too. Expect lots more smoke and detailed how to videos.

Bill R
01-07-2011, 11:49 PM
I like the videos. There is a lot of good information in the service videos. If a part is dieing i'm ok with it, since it will have to be replaced anyway why not have some fun.

miniman82
01-07-2011, 11:50 PM
It's all fun and games, till that ailing flyback shorts B+ to ground and takes out the PTX as well...

Eric H
01-08-2011, 12:14 AM
It's all fun and games, till that ailing flyback shorts B+ to ground and takes out the PTX as well...

But that's not likely to happen in an instant, it would take time, enough to pull the plug most likely.

I would be a little worried about the venting can capacitor though, it could go bang.

JoeNewberry
01-08-2011, 12:17 AM

I think that'd be my concern. I'd worry about further damage being done by just letting it run its course. When something starts arcing, smoking, sizzling, or glowing with the power of many suns, my first instinct is to unplug it and not plug it back in till I fix the problem.

Still, I can see some benefit in showing those things. Deters the curious from trying something dangerous just to see what happens. As the Mythbusters say, "There, we've done it, now you don't have to try it at home."

RobtWB
01-08-2011, 09:54 AM
this thread reminds me of a mid 80's Curtis Mathes (NEC set) I picked up at an estate sale.
brought the set indoors, removed the back and plugged it in. near instantaneous flaming flyback - kinda neat to watch for ~ 10 seconds. unplugged the cord and blew out the flames.

replaced the flyback and the set works fine.

bluenorm
01-08-2011, 09:58 AM
like you Alignments videos very much. very unique and instructive. could you do a series step by step on of how to align ctc 16 if you have that type of tv?

old_coot88
01-08-2011, 10:33 AM
this thread reminds me of a mid 80's Curtis Mathes (NEC set) I picked up at an estate sale.
brought the set indoors, removed the back and plugged it in. near instantaneous flaming flyback - kinda neat to watch for ~ 10 seconds. unplugged the cord and blew out the flames.
Another reeeminder to never, ever ever leave a vintage TV running unattended.
Bill(oc)

old_coot88
01-08-2011, 10:39 AM
...If the fly internally shorts or arcs its near impossible to fix unless you're really good at unwinding transformers.
Unwinding 'em isn't a big deal. Rewinding would be the challenge.:D Has anybody ever successfully rewound a color flyback? Or a B&W one for that matter.:smoke:

ctc17
01-08-2011, 11:01 AM
like you Alignments videos very much. very unique and instructive. could you do a series step by step on of how to align ctc 16 if you have that type of tv?

I do have a 16 and will get to it after I get more practice. The 16 and 35 IF is basically identical.
Its amazing how everything falls into place when aligned. No buzz in the sound, the sound, color and video track right with the fine tuning. The tint control is centered and the color looks good.

There is no one to teach me how to align sets, I have to learn by reading and doing, trial and error. I bought the estate of a 'master aligner' and have tons of material to read from manuals to magazine articles he saved. I have lots of these late 60s particle board consoles and a few can get sacrificed so we all have a reference how to make them work their best.

On the power transformer thing. I know the older sets are much more fragile but these late 60s/early 70s power transformer are super robust.
First the damper would melt down then the choke would burn up the the circuit breaker in the houses fuse panel would blow. Thats assuming you bypassed the fuse or breaker in the set.

Bill R
01-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I haven't done any alignment in years. I don't know if I can even find all the cables for the 415. If anyone has a set I would be interested. Anyway I would like to see more alignment videos as well. Radio and TV.

ctc17
01-08-2011, 07:26 PM
The 415 is an awesome piece of gear. The cables are very important and the demodulator probe is key to chroma circuit alignments. I have a good factory one and plan on making copys of it.
The alignment videos are pretty rough and amateur. I plan on doing a few more fm radios, stereo mpx and many more tv sets.

AUdubon5425
01-09-2011, 12:27 AM
I have a 415 on the way, provided it survives shipping.

doogie812
01-13-2011, 11:07 PM
I used to tell my customers that all electronics runs on smoke… Once you let the smoke out it does not work anymore. Doogie