View Full Version : early 90's maggie

DaveWM
01-06-2011, 09:01 AM
this is my daily driver just went off a couple days ago.

plug in you can hear a relay but nothing when it click (used to be the set would come on after a few seconds and the click). no audio, no power lights.

weeks before it died I noticed the focus was a bit soft, I adj the focus pot on the fly and it was fine.

Just before it died I noticed some odd look to the CRT on bright spots of the scene, sort of a yellowish glare look.

I hate to toss it since it has a very good pic, and was made in USA (at least that is what is on the PCB I saw when I had it out for the focus adj).

If it had not been for the odd color/glare on the CRT I would assume just an old cap in the PS causing some kind of shut down.

I know its a WGPC (wood grain) but I still like it so the plan is to pull it out and give it a visual once over for bad caps. After that I will prob check the HOT for shorts, then move on to testing caps.

DaveWM
01-06-2011, 11:00 AM
maybe even a late 80's I will get a pic later

radiotvnut
01-06-2011, 11:40 AM
What's the chassis number?

On most of these, It's usually a shorted HOT, a blown pico-fuse (small solder in fuse that's about the size of the diode) in the regulated B+ circuit, and loose solder connections (power resistors and the horizontal driver transformer). Also, in some of these, there is a 100uf, 200V cap behind the flyback that will fail and cause the HOT to short. Also, check the regulator circuit. Many of these used an STR301xx regulator IC and a TIP47 transistor that would often fail when the HOT shorts.

DaveWM
01-06-2011, 12:21 PM
I will drag it out tonight and let you know. I have been unable to to much lately, partial tear of bicep tendon, so I have had to be VERY careful about how I lift things, Doc say should heal on its own...

freakaftr8
01-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Man sorry to hear about the bicep tear. Too much wrestlin them tv's around! Hehe.

DaveWM
01-06-2011, 03:20 PM
:D

I honestly think its from that deflection coil voltage bite that the SS Sylvania gave me a year ago, I never really got over that and that is when it all started. The doc does not by it, and says its from lifting weights (I do a little of that but have for a long time and never had a problem).

When the Sylvania got me it was so violent that my arm just locked up and I had to pretty much pull away, drawing a nice flaming arc off my palm. It felt like the shock was still going on for at least an hour after that, and from then on I had pain.

anyway at least the MRI was able to show the tear (about 15%) so I hope he is right and it will heal on its own. That SS deflection is a killer....

jeyurkon
01-06-2011, 03:43 PM
I buy it. Electric shocks can contract muscles hard enough to break bones.

John

:D

I honestly think its from that deflection coil voltage bite that the SS Sylvania gave me a year ago, I never really got over that and that is when it all started. The doc does not by it, and says its from lifting weights (I do a little of that but have for a long time and never had a problem).

When the Sylvania got me it was so violent that my arm just locked up and I had to pretty much pull away, drawing a nice flaming arc off my palm. It felt like the shock was still going on for at least an hour after that, and from then on I had pain.

anyway at least the MRI was able to show the tear (about 15%) so I hope he is right and it will heal on its own. That SS deflection is a killer....