View Full Version : Zenith roundie in ATL $350

miniman82
01-05-2011, 07:23 PM
No affil

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/atq/2137551959.html

Looks like the same exact one I dropped off at Mark's house not too long ago.

http://images.craigslist.org/3n13m43l35V35Z65R3acvdc37e8d806031591.jpg

zenithfan1
01-06-2011, 08:59 AM
The cabinet is almost identical but the set is older than mine is. That looks to be a '63 (or early '64, no UHF) Probably 25LC20 or 30, somewhere in there. Note the shape of the CRT bezel, it changed to a more squared off design sometime in late '64. I know it's a small picture but compare the bezel to my avatar, which was built in late '63. This set also has a 21FBP22 w/ clear unbonded, unfrosted glass. That is my favorite type of safety glass. Great set but not worth more than $200 IMHO.

marty59
01-06-2011, 01:28 PM
There is an advantage now-a-days to having a 21FBP22. I had picked up a model 5131 with the 25LC30, no UHF chassis. Set still has the original "21FJP22" and it is a Zenith marked RCA/274 CRT with the genuine infamous RCA cateract...ugh! From the date codes I've noticed, it's early 64 and with that older style of bezel like the one posted on the CL set. I was lucky to find it in this area and for $25.00 with a beautiful cabinet. Roundies just don't show up around here and it had been sitting in an upstairs setting unused for years. I've been 'kinda looking it over but there's other priorities before I get serious with it.

I'll make a point to post more on it when I do.

marty59
01-07-2011, 08:35 AM
I'd like to see someone get this, at least for a more reasonable price...

DaveWM
01-13-2011, 07:54 AM
well the posting is gone, anyone here pop for it?

droptop
01-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I gave it a shot but the seller didn’t seem too interested in anything but the money and being a bit condescending with an “I know more about this than you” attitude. Based on their website content I think not. I emailed a second time to set up a trip to look at it but got no response this time- then the listing disappeared. The seller who knew nothing about early sets ( I asked) probably sold it to someone else who knows nothing about it for way more than it’s worth which made the seller an instant authority on the subject- much like the architect in the CTC 7 Albany thread. Don’t get me wrong- I see nothing wrong with making a buck. Unfortunately this outfit looks like a place that caters to the fish tank crowd.

sampson159
01-15-2011, 10:41 AM
again,an expert!thats a 100.00 set maximum.zeniths are great but an old tv has a small targeted market.this market is also very cheap!maybe they contacted the waitress at the local applebees for pricing advice on this.or the bagboy at kroger.have to go for now,as i have a social worker on her way over to dig up my sump discharge line in the yard.she is an expert!

DaveWM
01-15-2011, 01:42 PM
well hopefully it was working (I would think it must have been to ask that much for it) and the new owner (if sold) will have enough good sense to keep it and not turn it into some fish bowl nightmare.

droptop
01-15-2011, 06:49 PM
well hopefully it was working (I would think it must have been to ask that much for it) and the new owner (if sold) will have enough good sense to keep it and not turn it into some fish bowl nightmare.

Dave WM- According to the seller it was working but I got no response when I asked if it had been connected to a converter or cable for testing or if it had just been turned on to see if the screen lit. Let’s hope it finds a home with a knowledgeable person and not a fishbowl freak or shabby-sheik “designer”. I electronically restored a Zenith 15 tube robot dial console for a fellow about 10 years ago that had been in his family since new. The cabinet was as close to mint as you could get. A few months later I saw it in his home and the wife had “shabby-sheiked” it. A crime if there ever was one but it did belong to him to do with as he wished. I did hear from them a couple years ago and they had been disappointed to find what the cabinet treatment did to the value of the set….hard lesson learned and the set will never be the same.

I agree with sampson159 on the $100 value. What the seller didn’t understand (or probably care about) is the crap shoot that goes into these sets as a buyer and cost of restoration. Is the CRT or FBT good? If not there is a chance the set might never play again. I speculate as I’ve no idea who if anyone is the new owner but I’ve seen in this hobby as well as others the existence of a subset of collectors as well as non-collectors who don’t concern themselves with price. Nice work if you can get it but for me one question comes to mind in the purchasing process- If I have to sell this do I stand a chance of at least getting the purchase price back? I’ve been known to pay too much before but I don’t make it a habit. That’s just me. I’m happy for the folks who don’t have to worry about cost. On the other hand I hate the thought that an item with obvious collector appeal (however limited) will get into the hands of someone with no real interest in or respect for what they have. At any rate it’s done.

DaveWM
01-15-2011, 08:59 PM
yea i know the feeling, I often think the folks selling the stuff have no idea what a crap shoot it is on our part. I try to stay away from the very collectable stuff, just so I can stay in that 25-100 dollar zone, that way I dont feel too bad about dumping cash I know I will never recover. I went thru this not too long ago on yet another big console. The guy was sure it was worth a lot, I offered 25$ he declined thinking it should be much more. I did not even bother to try to explain it as I assume he would think I was just giving him a line of bull, which I can understand his position, ergo I just wish him well. Often I hear back and they want me to come get it. There is such a limited demand, and most collectors quickly overload (I did) to the point where you just have to pass unless its priced at the parts value level. I am sure most of what I have will never result in a recovery of any where near what I got in it, but thats ok, I just like playing with my old TV's :yes:

bgk283
01-15-2011, 09:23 PM
I hope i dont offend anyone, and i know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but, am i the only one that thinks that cabinet is butt ugly?

Phil Nelson
01-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Doesn't offend me. Most 1950s/1960s roundie cabinets are really humdrum in my book. Some 1940s TV cabinets are more interesting, but of course no color that far back.

Phil Nelson

marty59
01-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Butt ugly is such a strong term...I'd prefer "different" as well as "unique". :D
Not exactly my style but if it fell in my lap....(ouch!).

freakaftr8
01-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Style and flaire in todays world is so much different than yesterdays world. In the mid 60's either it was bland or too eccentric.

sampson159
01-16-2011, 07:03 AM
"butt ugly" is offensive to some people.the correct term is "anally unattractive".we must be pc in this forum!

old_tv_nut
01-16-2011, 11:04 PM
I hope i dont offend anyone, and i know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but, am i the only one that thinks that cabinet is butt ugly?

I personally don't care for "Early American" style, but that's what it is, and it would fit perfectly in your den with all "Early American Style" furniture. (By the way, the sofa cushions should be "casual plaid.") In other words, if you can't see any other styles in the same room, you may temporarily accept this as normal.

ChrisW6ATV
01-17-2011, 12:37 AM
This set is rather basic looking, as are many TVs from the 50's and 60's. For real butt ugly, I would say the Zenith Avanti or curved-cabinet sets from the 1970's win hands down.

DaveWM
01-17-2011, 07:02 AM
This set is rather basic looking, as are many TVs from the 50's and 60's. For real butt ugly, I would say the Zenith Avanti or curved-cabinet sets from the 1970's win hands down.

ouch...

miniman82
01-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Gotta agree, I never understood what anyone saw in those things. If this were Sparta, they'd have been tossed off the cliff...

marty59
01-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Eew...double ouch!

I'm not really a fan of the Avanti or simular sets either but I'm glad that there's some interest preserving 'em too. If you were doing some seventies retro designs to your home then what else "could" you put there? As long as you're not hanging a disco ball everything will be okay.:D

sampson159
01-17-2011, 02:08 PM
i am not a fan of those either.the curved sets are hard to pick up and carry.its not the weight but the awkwardness.since there are not many vintage sets left,i dont think we can be choosy.we are at the point where we have to take what we can get.i would paint an avanti black.that might make it for appealing.white furniture doesnt do it for me.