View Full Version : 1963 RCA tv

Bill R
01-02-2011, 10:02 PM
I will be making a road trip to pick up this RCA tv this week. The person that owns it says his dad bought it in 1965, but I think it looks more like 1963 model. I see no UHF. I know the crt is broken, but I just can not let it get destroyed. Besides I just couldn't turn down free. He said it was working until it slid in the truck while moving. That is when the crt was broken. I think it will clean up nice. Any ideas what model and is it really worth saving?

bgadow
01-02-2011, 10:13 PM
This would be a CTC-12. I would grab it in a heartbeat. CRTs don't grow on trees but they do turn up. I think this is the first time I've seen the phosphor blown off a color tube like that-common with broken monochrome CRTs but I guess the shadow mask usually holds things together on these.

Bill R
01-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I haven't seen it blow out like that either, but they were probably moving it in a pickup truck so when the neck of the tube broke the wind moving past could have created a vacuum and pulled the phospher off. Just a possibility. My Zenith roundie has a broken coil in the color circuit, and I was unable to find a replacement at the time, so I could use that tube if I had to. He said the set was working until they moved it. We shall see.

Kiwick
01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
The phosphor will blow away even in color CRTs if the air inrush is massive enough to create a violent jet stream inside the CRT, this can easily happen if the neck is swiped clear off instead of being only partially cracked or broken on its sides.

Also the electron gun or parts of it can become a projectile inside the CRT and punch a hole in the shadow mask and phosphors

JoeNewberry
01-05-2011, 06:30 PM
That looks like the bottom of a Columbia Grafonola sitting on top of it. You might want to pick that up as well if they're getting rid of it. And that kind of looks like a Hitachi portable set in the background.