View Full Version : What TV did you watch the Rose Parade on?

ohohyodafarted
01-01-2011, 12:57 PM
This year Tamy and I had the good fortune to watch the Rose Parade in Stereo (sort of) We watched the Motorola 16CK1, and the RCA 21CT55, as the two sets battled it out for the BEST PICTURE award. It was a tough race but in the end the the RCA won by very short distance. Six inches to be exact. Here is a photo of the event.

The goal for next year is to get one of my CT100's opperational and sistting on the right of the CT55.

Steve K
01-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Bob:

Those sets look great! Here is my contribution to the thread. It may not be the best picture I took off my CT-100 here in Wisconsin but as a Badger fan I need to post a picture of the UW band!

Steve

ohohyodafarted
01-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Well....just to show that I am just as much a Badger fan here are a some that I took :banana: U Rah Rah, Go Badgers!!!

Pete Deksnis
01-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Darn, missed it this year. Two good 15G's here in Michigan, but no operational chassis :-(

Thanks tho, for posting those great screen shots for those of us without :yes:

Pete

sampson159
01-01-2011, 04:21 PM
amazing pictures on both sets.these are spot on and i doubt if there are any finer examples anywhere.i envy and admire you for your attention to detail.i hope you live forever!

John Folsom
01-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Nice screen shots, Bob. Show off! :-)

Pete Deksnis
01-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Steve Dichter felt sorry for me and sent along screenshots he took today from both his CT-100 (left) and CTC5 (right). It is my pleasure to be able to post 'em, as he is unable to, for some unknown technical cyberspace reason. Thanks Steve.

Steve D.
01-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Hey Bob,

I watched the Rose Parade on my CT-100 and my CTC-5.The images, as you can see in Pete's post, are not bad, but can't compare to your beautiful pictures. Your Moto is a standout. Thanks Pete for posting the pix of my sets. Also had the HD set tuned in. My electric meter must have been going at warp speed.

-Steve D.

kx250rider
01-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Didn't watch it this year (nor last year)... I guess I'm just not so hot on the idea of a digital converter over the air. Just doesn't seem real anymore. Maybe next year... I thought about doing a demonstration of the first, the most expensive, and the smallest Sony color TVs, but didn't get a chance to set up. (KV-7010UA, KV-3000R, and KV-4000). In the past, I've always run my Kaye-Halbert 253, and usually also ran a color roundie (CT-100 a few times, and others).

Charles

ChrisW6ATV
01-02-2011, 12:51 PM
I watched part of the parade via a real over-the-air TV antenna, digital HDTV signal into a 52" Sony flat-panel LCD TV and Dolby Digital sound system. The picture and sound were stunning.

The screen shots in this topic are very nice as well.

Steve D.
01-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Didn't watch it this year (nor last year)... I guess I'm just not so hot on the idea of a digital converter over the air. Just doesn't seem real anymore. Maybe next year... I thought about doing a demonstration of the first, the most expensive, and the smallest Sony color TVs, but didn't get a chance to set up. (KV-7010UA, KV-3000R, and KV-4000). In the past, I've always run my Kaye-Halbert 253, and usually also ran a color roundie (CT-100 a few times, and others).

Charles

Hey Charles,

Even with a rooftop antenna and digtal coverter would you be able to pickup the L.A. stations? You must have a line of sight window to Mt. Wilson from Moorepark. Do you currently also use cable?

Happy New Year,
-Steve D.

classictv80s
01-03-2011, 01:39 AM
As someone who has lived in Southern California my entire life, I always looked forward to watching the Rose Parade when growing up in the 1980s and early 1990s. But somewhere along the way it became very boring, and too long - too many bands, too many of the same repetitive floats of Bonzai trees and Disneyland displays decorated with red roses and confetti. Too many Pollyannas patting each other on the back with stupid awards. Way too much corporate influence. I haven't watched it in 15 years.

AUdubon5425
01-03-2011, 06:14 AM
I'm not sure the Rose Parade even airs on local TV down here.

classictv80s
01-03-2011, 06:32 AM
I'm not sure the Rose Parade even airs on local TV down here.

If it doesn't, you're not missing much.:thumbsdn:

kx250rider
01-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Hey Charles,

Even with a rooftop antenna and digtal coverter would you be able to pickup the L.A. stations? You must have a line of sight window to Mt. Wilson from Moorepark. Do you currently also use cable?

Happy New Year,
-Steve D.

I can get a few LA and a few Santa Barbara digital stations, but it's just somehow not the same. I know it's psychological thing, as I've watched a few things in digital over-the-air on various vintage sets. Let's equate it to having an Apple Pan hickory burger, cooked the same, and everything identical, but served by someone new, who hasn't worked there for 40 years like the 3 old regulars... (Other AKers; please excuse LA-insider comparison)

Charles

Steve D.
01-04-2011, 01:25 PM
I can get a few LA and a few Santa Barbara digital stations, but it's just somehow not the same. I know it's psychological thing, as I've watched a few things in digital over-the-air on various vintage sets. Let's equate it to having an Apple Pan hickory burger, cooked the same, and everything identical, but served by someone new, who hasn't worked there for 40 years like the 3 old regulars... (Other AKers; please excuse LA-insider comparison)

Charles

A bit off topic. But An Apple Pan burger and a piece of apple pie is 5 star eating IMO. There are several other L.A. VK'ers that can back me up on this. Only drawback is waiting for a seat to open up. Again, excuse the local L.A. reference,

-Steve D.

zenithfan1
01-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Wow, great screen shots Bob. That Moto is amazing! Can I come see it sometime? Lunch is on me :D