View Full Version : Time for Sylvania Guest Matic to "Check Out?"

rallogan
12-30-2010, 11:35 PM
I have a circa 1980's 19" GTE Sylvania Guest Matic in a spare bedroom that I will never watch again. However, I've been hesitant to throw it away because I have wondered if it had any value.

I saw radiotvnut mentioned the Guest Matic in this thread: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?p=2990198 but I wasn't sure how many might be left now.

Is it worth saving or trying to get to someone who might appreciate it, or can I throw it away without too much guilt?

radiotvnut
12-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Where are you located?

It's no newer than '81 if it has "GTE" on it. Sometime in '81 is when NAP bought the Sylvania and Philco brands from GTE. Really, your set looks like it's from the late '70's. About 17 years ago, I had a similar set from '79; but, it had a shorted yoke and weak CRT. So, I ended up junking it. That was way before VK and the internet.

These sets really don't have much value; but, they were good sets and I'd hate to see this one get tossed.

Eric H
12-31-2010, 02:14 AM
Goodwill or Salvation Army is a better alternative to tossing it if it still works.

rallogan
12-31-2010, 10:01 AM
radiotvnut: North Carolina.

eric: Well by "throw it away" I meant Craig's List, Freecycle or some other thing like that.

I am something of a hoarder and if the thing has some historic or potential future value, I can continue to sit on it. But if there are plenty of them still out there and it doesn't have any real collectible value, I need to move it out.

I was actually using it as a bedroom TV until about a year ago and it works fine, though the color and picture aren't what you would get from a newer TV.

rallogan
01-03-2011, 11:45 PM
So the consensus is that I can let this thing go and not feel too badly about it?

radiotvnut
01-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I think you can get rid of it without feeling bad about it. Still, I hope someone gets it that will get some use out of it. I don't like seeing TV's go to the garbage, especially when they are still operational. If I were closer, I'd take it off your hands.

rallogan
01-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I think you can get rid of it without feeling bad about it. Still, I hope someone gets it that will get some use out of it. I don't like seeing TV's go to the garbage, especially when they are still operational. If I were closer, I'd take it off your hands.

I really appreciate the help. I've got to get rid of some of my clutter!