View Full Version : Sylvania "Dualette" portable tv

GeorgeJetson
12-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi,
I was just browsing Harry Posters site and came across a Sylvania "Dualette" portable television he has for sale.

It has a very futuristic case that looks like something from the Jetsons!

Does anybody here know what year that set was made and have some photos of it from the back and sides?

bgadow
12-10-2010, 10:22 PM
I have one; I guess I have some photos somewhere of it but probably easier to take new ones. I've yet to clean it up (it's very dirty) or pull the back. Not the most substantial TV I've seen; I want to say it is a series string. Style over substance!

GeorgeJetson
12-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks Bryan!,that would be great if it isn't too much trouble.

I am assuming it's called a "dualette" because it has twin speakers,right?

Is yours seafoam green and white two tone as well?

I still want one even if it isn't best because it does have great styling!

bgadow
12-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Here are a few shots of mine. It should be pretty attractive if I ever clean it up.

GeorgeJetson
12-12-2010, 03:26 AM
WOW!
That Sylvania is beautiful and I love that salmon/coral color!
It's even more cool looking than I first thought!

I like how the front rakes forward and looks kind of like a boomerang from the side.

this is really an incredible set design wise,and its great that it came in such cool colors..the only way it could be better is if it were made of fiberglass.

Now I just have to find one!

It's amazing how many talented designers there were in that era,its hard to believe that we went from such sleek,attractive,stunningly futuristic designs to the ugly,clumsy dark black garbage we have now.

It all seemed to go downhill after 1961 when the last of the big fin cars came out from Chrysler.
I will never understand why we lost our way,but that time was truly the zenith of our culture.

Thanks for taking the time to post photos of it Bryan!

Is this model difficult to find?

rojoknox
12-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Greetings from FixitLand!

Hmmm. The link in the first post of this thread seems to have been hijacked -- hovering over it shows "Shopping link added by Skimlinks" and the link takes you to a Hammacher Schlemmer page which offers a TV -- but not a Sylvania "Dualette." :saywhat:

Take care,
--
J. E. Knox 'The Victor Freak"

Eric H
12-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Greetings from FixitLand!

Hmmm. The link in the first post of this thread seems to have been hijacked -- hovering over it shows "Shopping link added by Skimlinks" and the link takes you to a Hammacher Schlemmer page which offers a TV -- but not a Sylvania "Dualette." :saywhat:

Take care,
--
J. E. Knox 'The Victor Freak"

It's a targeted advertisement based on Keywords, I found another in another post.

I don't know if it's supposed to be here or not but I'll find out.

GeorgeJetson
12-17-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't understand why it's doing that,There wasn't even a link in that post!

Steve D.
12-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Here's a 1959 ad for the Sylvania "Dualette":
LIFE - Google Books
Address:http://books.google.com/books?id=XT8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&dq=Sylvania+%22Dualette%22+portable&source=bl&ots=1LlrKL2ht9&sig=o959HEBk-z35Mk4VMk8MQvK0btc&hl=en&ei=udILTebfBoGClAfFgrX1Cw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAg

The styling is really space age '50's. Very cool.

-Steve D.

GeorgeJetson
12-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks Steve!
I agree it's one beautiful set,I am told it came in three color combos,coral and white,the turquoise and white and a yellow and brown model.
I'd like to have all three!
there was a model with a built in clock too!