View Full Version : New at Amazon / Barnes and Noble

Findm-Keepm
11-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Stocking stuffer?

Phil Nelson
11-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the compliment, but in my case you might want to replace the "for" with "by." :)

If an ex-English major like me can learn to stumble through these projects, anybody can. The key is to find forums like this and ask lots of questions!

Phil

bandersen
11-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks! Almost spilled my coffee when I saw my name :D
I agree with Phil and I'll add - read everything you can. Forum posts, service manuals, books on service and theory, etc. Home study courses are especially nice if you're just starting out.

Boobtubeman
11-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Does such a book for learning Oscilloscopes exist in this series?

jr_tech
11-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Man! I don't see a Kindle version yet! :D
jr

Sandy G
11-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Still wish I had an "Elmer" lookin' over my shoulder...I'm really quite stupid, actually, I have LOTS of trouble tryin' to visualise how to do things if I don't have someone showin' me...Always been that way to some extent, but ever since the stroke its got worse...

Findm-Keepm
11-23-2010, 07:47 PM
I had some time to kill this morning while waiting for the wife to get back from errands, so I played around with Paint Shop Pro and created the homage cover.

Phil, I happened upon your website back in the late 90's, and really enjoyed visiting for the updates. It's simplicity helped greatly when I was deployed aboard the USS Harry S. Truman - our internet speed was sub-56K modem, and split among 1300 computers. Couldn't get the CNN webpages, but Phils Old Radios pages were quick loading! You still have some quick page loads. I was deleting personal data on my old Win98 machine, and came across your site's bookmark on ...gasp!...an old verrsion of Netscape Navigator. Thanks for spurning a greater interest in all things old in this old guy.

Bob, if (God forbid!) things ever take a downturn in the computer programming arena, you could easily make a living as a restoration artiste. Seriously, I get the blues when you finish a project! Keep restorin' and sharing - and a big thanks to both you and Phil (and the many others here on VK) for the education, mentorship, and entertainment.

Cheers,

Phil Nelson
11-23-2010, 09:03 PM
our internet speed was sub-56K modem
During the first few years of the website, I had a slow dial-up connection, too, so I designed it with have-nots like me in mind.

If you're roaming around the site, you can tell which things I owned then. They're the ones with the teeny weeny photos. When I did the last redesign, I considered rephotographing things and substituting bigger images, but by then a lot of that stuff had gone off to the Great Swap Meet in the Sky.

Phil

bandersen
11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
When I dragged home my first vintage set worth mentioning (RCA 630TS), it was Phil's site to the rescue. I had no idea what it's historical significance was or how the heck to take it apart so I could haul it up the stairs to my place.

I haven't touched the set since that night, but rest assured, I will :yes:

During the first few years of the website, I had a slow dial-up connection, too, so I designed it with have-nots like me in mind.

If you're roaming around the site, you can tell which things I owned then. They're the ones with the teeny weeny photos. When I did the last redesign, I considered rephotographing things and substituting bigger images, but by then a lot of that stuff had gone off to the Great Swap Meet in the Sky.

Phil

Ah, that explains the tiny pics of your Philco 60. Any chance you have larger ones stashed somewhere ? I'll be starting on mine in a few days.

jeyurkon
11-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Bob and Phil document and explain their work so clearly, and find clever solutions, that I was hoping the book was real.

John

Boobtubeman
11-23-2010, 11:58 PM
OH MAAN!!! i totaly fell for it!!! I thought the book was real!!

I do admit the authors names looked familiar...

Gooooooooooood ONE!!! :D

SR

Phil Nelson
11-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Ah, that explains the tiny pics of your Philco 60. Any chance you have larger ones stashed somewhere ? I'll be starting on mine in a few days.
I'll see what I have. I took a lot fewer pictures in Ye Olde Dayes, when I used 35mm film and it cost money to process photos (what a quaint idea!).

Phil