View Full Version : Holy poop on a shingle!!!!

miniman82
11-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Please tell me something became of this, 2 weeks old when I found it!!! :yikes:

Einar72
11-09-2010, 08:51 PM
East side where? I can't make out any other location details...

bgadow
11-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Only takes a phone call to be sure...assuming you know the area code.

zenithfan1
11-10-2010, 09:11 AM
please tell me something became of this, 2 weeks old when i found it!!! :yikes:

LOL! :thmbsp::king:on a good:deal:I'm gonna:lurk:&:smoke:

RobtWB
11-10-2010, 09:21 AM
the person who "created" that advertisement needs to vastly improve their editing skills - really poor work folks

zenithfan1
11-10-2010, 10:55 AM
It wasn't all created, just some of it.......and not by me BTW.....

kbmuri
11-10-2010, 11:15 AM
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2020899808.html

zenithfan1
11-10-2010, 11:46 AM
My favorite is the "black and white" CTC4!! :rolleyes: He'd probably take forty bucks for it......:D

kbmuri
11-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I don't quite understand all the attitudes. I called the guy 3 days ago, talked with him for 5 minutes. He was quite friendly, it was a legit sale, they were sold to someone who "drove down from Chicago". The guy had no reason to lie to me and wasn't running any scam. He just had a pile of treasure that he didn't know what was worth. I missed them by that much, or I'd have been on here showing them off myself. I was waiting for a "special announcement" by Bob or Doug from Chicago any day now. Perhaps they missed them too.

I can't speculate on the OP's motive for editing out the area code and city from his screen shot. Just plain odd. He IS from Illinois, maybe he owns them as we write, and is messing with our collective heads for the fun of it?

ohohyodafarted
11-10-2010, 01:22 PM
I also spoke to him this AM. But YES, they are gone. Glad someone got them and will see that they don't become land fill.

Bob

miniman82
11-11-2010, 12:51 PM
I can't speculate on the OP's motive for editing out the area code and city from his screen shot. Maybe he owns them as we write, and is messing with our collective heads for the fun of it?

Guilty as charged! :D

I just couldn't believe the guy still had them after 2 weeks on the web, no one else had called him so I made the trip immediately. They were posted pretty badly though, who writes 'original' Zenith TV? I know I've never searched for those terms, but maybe I'll have to add them to my list.

Here it is, in situ in my TV room right next to the 7 and 9. The AXP filaments light up, but the neck glows purple with HV applied (I put the CTC-9 chassis on it to test). That means air, so the tube leaks. I'll either stick a glass tube in it, or wait for eternity to find a good jug. Shame though, it was rebuilt 2 times already- I can see the neck welds.

zenithfan1
11-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey Nick, do you have the legs for it? I didn't see them the other day either. As for the tube, the 4 is easy to put a glass tube into without cutting anything. When an AXP shows up you can easily put it back to original. I haven't tried it yet but I think I can mount a glass tube in my 5 without modifying the cabinet. I thought of a design that will mount the tube similar to a newer set using the existing screw holes, and then to mount the yoke which is another problem but I think I have a fix for that too without looking gross. I've had the set for 2 years and my patience has run out, I want to watch tv on it now, like right now! I'm also tired of looking at a brand new glass tube that is collecting dust.
How about a pic of the Zenith set? I really liked that one!:yes:

kbmuri
11-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Guilty as charged! :D

Do I know human nature, or what?

Congrats on the lucky score. I was behind you by only mere moments. I should have been more on-the-ball and done my searches more often. The ad was there unanswered for two weeks. Like they say, close only counts with hand grenades and horse shoes.

Well, at least I can read about 'em on VK.

Like everyone else, I'm glad they're not dumpstered or fishtanked. :thmbsp:

miniman82
11-11-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm also tired of looking at a brand new glass tube that is collecting dust.

I can always use another glass jug, trade ya for the Zenith? :banana:

And yes, I do have all the legs for the sets, they aren't on right now.

How about a pic of the Zenith set? I really liked that one!:yes:

While I'm at it, here are the pics from the day I picked them up.

miniman82
11-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Few more.

miniman82
11-11-2010, 05:35 PM
The Zenith has really nice wood, and it works to boot!

The CTC-4 had RCA service tags dating all the way to 1976, so it was well used. As I said, the CRT has air in it, as evidenced by the purple neck when HV is applied. I might try vacseal and a rebuild whenever ETF gets up and running, it's been rebuilt 2 times already, so what's the harm? I thought it was cool that I picked up the CTC-4 from the original residence, the tags even had the right address on them. The story Chester gave me was that the set belonged to a 97 year old lady who lived there, and who he had been caring for. She had since passed, and since he was renting that part of the house out, the sets had to go.

holmesuser01
11-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Great! I'm so glad they are being saved!

Bruce