View Full Version : Bloomington, IL What are these?

mirayge
11-06-2010, 02:57 AM
If anyone is interested, here is the link to two Zeniths. http://bn.craigslist.org/ele/2040600602.html

holmesuser01
11-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Those might be one of the last of the american made Zenith's?

I remember having to get a board for one of them when I was a tech for one of those wonderful box stores that suddenly started working on EVERYBODY's TV brands, instead of just working on their own in-house brand stuff.

bgadow
11-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I've had one or two of these come my way and they seem fairly decent. Yes, I think the last one I had was assembled in Missouri. I have this models big brother, a 25" table model, out in the shed right now. It was given to me by a retired dealer, from what he said it sounds like it might have purity problems. I haven't felt like lugging it inside yet.

mwplefty
11-06-2010, 10:33 PM
If anyone is interested, here is the link to two Zeniths. http://bn.craigslist.org/ele/2040600602.html

Is he sure that it's a non-remote set? The Zenith pictured looks to be from around 1984/1985, and I'm pretty sure all models were remote sets by then. Perhaps he meant that he didn't have the remote.

mwplefty
11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Since we're on the subject of Bloomington/Normal Craiglist sets, here's one more:

http://bn.craigslist.org/ele/1986191839.html

Circa 1980/1981 Zenith Remote Set

radiotvnut
11-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Actually, that set is from around '86-'87.

mwplefty
11-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Actually, that set is from around '86-'87.

Okay, thanks for telling me. I posted a similar set a couple days ago and said it was "early 1980's." So obviously I was wrong.

radiotvnut
11-07-2010, 12:43 AM
The main thing that gives it away is the Zenith lightning bolt logo. Zenith sets up until around '85 used the old Zenith block logo. From the mid '80's on, they used the lightning bolt logo. That cabinet style was used in the early '80's and was used up until the early '90's. I used to have a Zenith hospital TV from '90-'91 that used that same cabinet design.

Jeffhs
11-07-2010, 12:02 PM
These days, there is no such thing as a "non-remote" TV if the set is being used with a DTV converter box. Most if not all of these boxes come with remotes that will switch the box and TV on and off (however, the newer boxes may not have switched AC outlets), change channels, turn volume up and down and mute, so even a 60-year-old knob-tuned non-remote set can now have basic remote control. The other controls for color, tint, black level, contrast, etc. must still be adjusted manually, but today's TVs and television broadcast signals are so rock-stable the set's picture controls rarely need adjustment. Universal remotes, such as the GE one I use with my RCA CTC185, will provide total control of all TV functions and on-screen controls; however, I don't think these will operate DTV converters or today's high-end flat-panel TVs, such as the new Sony Internet-enabled sets.

dieseljeep
11-07-2010, 12:37 PM
The latest RCA 3 function remotes will operate most DTV converters. The model # RCR312WV and is available at Radio shack and Walmart.

mwplefty
11-07-2010, 03:47 PM
The latest RCA 3 function remotes will operate most DTV converters. The model # RCR312WV and is available at Radio shack and Walmart.

Yes, but unfortunately the days of turning the knobs or using the original remote to change channels have come to an end in most cases. Unless you have analog cable or low-power stations in your area, the knobs and remote are essentially useless. Even analog cable and low-power stations are phasing out. Chances are that most, if not all, local analog cable channels will be offered exclusively in digital come 2012. I just lost another analog cable channel the other day. I'm telling you. D-Day for anything analog left is coming sooner than we hope.

As far as using the remote that comes with the DTV converter box, I use it obviously to change channels and sometimes to change the volume (however it's recommended that you use the knob on the TV itself). My remote only turns on the converter box though and not the TV. I turn that on manually.

radiotvnut
11-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a DTV converter that had a switched outlet for TV power. If there is such a model, I'd like to know about it. I'm sure a regular DTV box could be modified for use with a switched AC outlet on the rear, if space permitted. I have, however, seen plenty of cable boxes with switched outlets. Even some of the newer digital cable boxes have switched outlets.

zenith2134
11-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi mwplenty, the set in post 5 is a 9-181 from around 1983 or 4...I had the exact model at one point.