View Full Version : Real Magic Video Box Thingie(??????)

willhowl
10-29-2010, 03:05 AM
Howdy, all....I'm a regular at AK.....newbie over here......I Dunno if this the right place, but here goes........

I found two of these things at a resale, for low $, yesterday......I could tell they are well built, some kind of video/PC interface, but found very little data about the company, even, much less these boxes..........

Sigma Designs is the outfit, even though it says this NOWHERE on the box........

I was hoping to use them for PC video-to-TV streaming....but can find nada about this unit.......

Sigma made video cards a while back, now they focus on Hi-grade video Chips for OEM...(???)

Anybody know something, please.....HELP!!!!!!!

Thank you for viewing.........willhowl:tears::scratch2:

tgunner
11-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Interesting... I think you'll have to open one up to learn a bit more!

willhowl
11-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Somebody answered!!!!

Howdy, tgunner.....You are the only one so far who has said anything.......On AK, or here........

OK....I've been thinking the same.....open it up and see.....I may not know what I'm looking at, though, so I'll be back with Pix........

I'm also wondering if these are a prototype, .......or just a miserable failure, a mistake made by the company.....

Any suggestions on where else to post to find info welcome.....

Thanks, ......willhowl:scratch2:

tgunner
11-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Somebody answered!!!!

Howdy, tgunner.....You are the only one so far who has said anything.......On AK, or here........

OK....I've been thinking the same.....open it up and see.....I may not know what I'm looking at, though, so I'll be back with Pix........

I'm also wondering if these are a prototype, .......or just a miserable failure, a mistake made by the company.....

Any suggestions on where else to post to find info welcome.....

Thanks, ......willhowl:scratch2:

I looked around online, and these things were part of an IPTV setup, like for hotels, hospitals, nursing homes etc to use. There is an IR port on the front, and they originally shipped with a remote and some cables. It also says that InfoValue partnered with Red Hat Linux to get their software bundled, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to set up a video server or what... :scratch2:

willhowl
11-10-2010, 03:16 AM
Thanks, tgunner.....way more info than I had.....

Pray, tell me......what is IPTV??....I'll look it up, but......

I noticed the IR "eye" on the front...I figgered "remote".......BUT??????

I'm been moving again.....(Geez...will it never end......), so.....no pix for now....soon, I hope........

Still unclear on the basic function of this thing....Thanks again.........willhowl:D:scratch2:

P.S. OK...I looked up IPTV....I got a glimmer of an idea.......looks like an early implementation of a concept that has been subsumed by other technologies......or something......(got to use some cool words, huh.......)....thanks for the direction...will continue digging.............willhowl.....:sigh:

markdi
11-14-2010, 10:40 PM
iptv

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPTV

zapro
01-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Simply put, it's a computer running some kind of Linux, probably from a small flash drive (64-128 megabytes) and some IP-TV application on top. You won't get very good video out of this, so using it for anything else than a small server maybe is probably not worth it...