View Full Version : sylvania e-03

sampson159
10-22-2010, 12:46 PM
saw a sylvania e-03 at the thrift store today.cabinet was decent but they did damage it in the move.typical "its just a job" attitude.looks like a replacement crt,(no 25dmp22),but the picture was outstanding.had to tune in uhf channel and jim baker came in clear and sharp.crt looked like a vdc rebuild.the price was hefty though.49.95!one of mikes classics!he proceeded to give me the "scivvy" on sylvanias.i didnt know they were a branch of zenith!upper level also!i thought i had a good history on the company.he said that like gm,zenith had upper level sets that they manufactured.sylvania was one and also magnavox.like cadillac and buick for gm.also,this "rolls royce" of sets is a collectors item.i let him go on and on.he amuses me.i would have gave them 20.00 for it.the crt is worth that.of course i have way too any crts right now.i need to thin the herd.

holmesuser01
10-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Sylvania and Zenith? Never heard that one before.

jstout66
10-23-2010, 06:37 AM
HA! Mike was full of it. Zenith never manufactured sets for anyone else. Well.. at least not thru the mid 80's. Not sure if they ever manufactued for "store brands", but at least up to 1984, no. I worked for Uncle (1978-1982) who was a Zenith dealer.
I do know during that time frame we carried a few secondary brands, so as not to loose a sale. (Zenith was the highest price set at that time) and we carried Philco which WAS a rebadged Sylvania. IIRC, The Philcos were about 2 years behind what Sylvania was currently offering. Not sure when other manufactures started offering rebadges sets, but I don't think Zenith ever did until they went under and Gold Star had major ownership. Sylvania and Philco were NAP products at that time, and not sure when Magnavox was taken over by the NAP family. As for store-branded sets, they were usually rebranded Japanese sets, altho RCA and JC Penney had some type of agreement. I think some Montgomery Wards sets were rebadged Zenith.
I'm sure someone who was in the "field" after the timeframe I was can give more factual info, but Zenith NEVER had a relationship with Sylvania.

sampson159
10-23-2010, 07:57 AM
correct.zenith only made zenith badged products.i remember those philcos of the mid to late 70s.sylvanias with a few cosmetic differences.then it all went to nap in the 80s.rca made some pennys sets in the 60s and 70s.sears were made by various manufactures.take the back off and guess!i still want that sylvania at the thrift store but 49.95 is way out of line.it is a "plainjane" set with no sharpness control!cant remember seeing one of those in the day.if it doesnt sell in 45 days,it goes to a recycler.then its off to china under the guise of "going green".

holmesuser01
10-23-2010, 09:29 AM
A bit off topic, but at one point, our shop carried all 4 Phillips brands: Phillips, Magnavox, Sylvania, and Philco. Phillips were the snazziest, Maggie had the pretty cabinets, Syl was a jazzed up cabinet, and poor Philco was the bastard stepchild. When we started carrying their stuff, the big seller was the C1 chassis... the two-piece one. This was around 1980 or so. They were also still using the E series Sylvania chassis in everything, too.

sampson159
10-23-2010, 12:36 PM
my knowledge goes as far as 1986 or so.at that time,we were repairing sets from the 70s here in columbus,ohio.my favorite set was the sylvania e 45-48 series with electronic tuning and a 25vdmp22 crt.simple design and very reliable except for the crt.zeniths were pretty rare here in the southend.lots of xl100s though.few magnavoxs,as they were for the rich only!those were some fun days.when we needed a tube for an older set,i made the journey over to bruck street to see roscoe.he had a basement full and we would hunt for hours.always had it though.i think television lost something when they went to the inline crt.the delta guns were just as sharp and bright in my opinion.