View Full Version : Newbie in need of guidance

activelazypu
10-20-2010, 12:56 AM
Hi Everyone,
I have acquired this old TV set and I would like to know more about it.
TVs are not my area of expertise, not anywhere close. This RCA Victor, model #17S6032 is the ONLY TV I do own. I have no use for it, but I would like to know if it is worth anything and if I should pursue selling it as opposed to junking it. When it came to me the power cord had been cut. My brother spliced a new power cord to it to see if we could get it to do anything. The picture shows it did come on, with static to accompany the fractured snow. I believe there were six glowing tubes visible through the vent in the back of the TV while it was switched on.
I forgot to take a picture of the knobs and what not. They are located under the panel visible on the top of the unit.
I tried to find it over at tv history but they do not list that model number for RCA. I have spent the last three hours trying to find out something about it. I had NO luck....Then I found you all! It was after finding you guys that I went to tv history, so thanks for sending me there.
Does anyone have any advice for me, please?
Thanks muchly,
Pup

Sandy G
10-20-2010, 03:22 AM
Mid-'50s, not uncommon, looks like yr CRT is good, prolly needs re-capping, a good general "Going thru". IIRC, they were decent performers.

activelazypu
10-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi Sandy,
Thank you for your advice.
Can the CRT and the other tubes be salvaged and reused in another unit? I really haven't the room nor the inclination to keep this old television. As I said I don't even own a modern TV so I will never restore this old one on my own but if someone can use parts from it, I don't want to just junk it. If I junk it, it will go to the junk man in pieces.
Please let me know about the tubes and any other parts of it that may be useful to another. Thanks so much!
Pup

Username1
10-23-2010, 06:00 AM
Since you have no interest in the set, you should post it for sale on craigs list with pictures and sell it for a few dollars to someone who really wants it all in one piece as is.

just my .04