View Full Version : I think I've found a TV that's WORSE than Funai

radiotvnut
10-16-2010, 03:21 PM
And that would be most any Philips (NAP) set made during the last 10 years. I've seen plenty of the L01.1U chassis sets with the bad cap in the horizontal drive circuit that usually takes out the HOT and those sets are very cheaply built. I just tossed a 2005 27" L03.1U chassis set that looks to be even cheaper built than the L01.1U sets. This set would power on with a raster for a few seconds. Then, the raster would fade into a line at the top of the screen and then the TV would shut down. I found a 10uf, 160V cap that was running hot; but, replacing it did no good. I also replaced a surface mounted diode (that I read about on the Internet) and another diode off the flyback that fed the cap that was running hot. After that, I decided that I'd had enough and tossed the TV. The guy that owned it runs a flea market and I doubt he'd want to put over a few dollars in it; so, why pull my hari out over it?

OTOH, I just fixed a 25" '94 Philips-Magnavox and all it needed was a 100uf, 200V cap replaced, which was a very common problem in those sets. After replacing the cap, doing some solder touch up's, and making some minor adjustments; the TV worked great and the owner was happy.

It seems that NAP still made quality TV's up until around '99; then, they went down the drain. I believe NAP sets were assembled in TN up until a few years ago. The one I just tossed was Mexican all the way. Even the LG-Philips CRT had "made in Mexico" stamped on it.

rcaman
10-16-2010, 05:20 PM
you are right and the crt's are crap in them. steve

radiotvnut
10-16-2010, 10:50 PM
As much as I dislike Funai crap, it seems like the last few Funai sets that I repaired were easy fixes. In those, it's usually power supply problems or a shorted vertical output IC along with the 100uf cap in the vertical circuit. And, I don't recall ever seeing a bad CRT in a Funai set. Same goes for Orion.

As far as later model CRT sets go, I think RCA and Philips were in competition to see who could build the lowest quality TV. I don't know which chassis as I've only read about this; but, I've read that there is one newer Philips chassis where the flyback transformer will short and take about 20 other parts with it, including the surface mounted jungle IC.

I'm also not impressed with later JVC sets. I've had a few post-2000 silver 27" JVC "D series" sets with toasted CRT's and they looked to be cheaply built.

So, given all this, I think I'll keep my 30+ year old TV's.

Wizard256
10-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Philips flat CRT 27" in last few years have intermittent H-K shorts. And (silver case) CRT hotel TVs with complaints of not turning on yet we find no problem with these. What the heck?

JVC in most 27" line from 1995 thru last days of CRT era often are RCA CRTs. Treat the setup and keep brightness down, CRT will last long time.

I just put away still working 20" JVC with generic CRT in it, still great color because I kept the brightness down below 50% or so for most of it's life since 2003 when I acquired it when owner left it and said no to our estimate to repair it (was easy fix).

Cheers, Wizard

mbates14
10-17-2010, 10:12 PM
ive had the later DPTV philips projection sets made after 1999 still work today.

Yes, the CRT coolant department sucked for the longest time there, so aside from cleaning that out and fixing that, and the usual convergence IC issues, its still holding up.

mbates14
10-17-2010, 10:13 PM
And that would be most any Philips (NAP) set made during the last 10 years. I've seen plenty of the L01.1U chassis sets with the bad cap in the horizontal drive circuit that usually takes out the HOT and those sets are very cheaply built. I just tossed a 2005 27" L03.1U chassis set that looks to be even cheaper built than the L01.1U sets. This set would power on with a raster for a few seconds. Then, the raster would fade into a line at the top of the screen and then the TV would shut down. I found a 10uf, 160V cap that was running hot; but, replacing it did no good. I also replaced a surface mounted diode (that I read about on the Internet) and another diode off the flyback that fed the cap that was running hot. After that, I decided that I'd had enough and tossed the TV. The guy that owned it runs a flea market and I doubt he'd want to put over a few dollars in it; so, why pull my hari out over it?

OTOH, I just fixed a 25" '94 Philips-Magnavox and all it needed was a 100uf, 200V cap replaced, which was a very common problem in those sets. After replacing the cap, doing some solder touch up's, and making some minor adjustments; the TV worked great and the owner was happy.

It seems that NAP still made quality TV's up until around '99; then, they went down the drain. I believe NAP sets were assembled in TN up until a few years ago. The one I just tossed was Mexican all the way. Even the LG-Philips CRT had "made in Mexico" stamped on it.

I have that SAME 25" magnovox as my bedroom TV. had to replace that 100uf 200v cap twice and then the 3.3uf 63v cap i think it was, it dried up taking out the STR regulator and the picofuse.

YamahaFreak
10-18-2010, 02:07 AM
I bet that the reason you never see a bad Funai CRT is because all the other parts go bad before the CRT has a chance to! :D

We've owned a 32-inch JVC D-Series set (bought new in 2001, I think) with no problems so far. I've been trying for three months now to get the parents to swap it out for my 32-inch Trinitron, KV-32HS20. Much better set in almost every respect. The JVC works really well, it's just that the Sony outdoes it in almost every way.

dieseljeep
10-18-2010, 07:51 AM
I worked on a Zenith badged Funai TV/VCR combo a while back. I was surprised to see that the CRT was "Made in Vietnam". Picture was OK, but the sound was lousy because of the placement of the speaker.

freakaftr8
10-18-2010, 02:52 PM
And have fun with the VCR loaders. When it goes bad the set is rendered useless due to a shutdown that the set thinks the loader is jammed. Lovely design.

Zenith26kc20
10-18-2010, 03:03 PM
The Phillips you talk about is JUNK! I don't take them in anymore. And yes, it seems after the CTC203 Thomson chassis RCA and Phillips worked hard to make the worst TV. The RCA eats flybacks, as well as the Phillips. The Phillips likes yokes once and a while also.
Caps are a constant problem in the Phillips as well as bad connections! You will also find some Toshiba sets with Funai chassis in them.
The last Sanyo sets are fairly reliable but too high line voltage blows the power supply capacitors. Since Katrina I've seen line voltage as high as 130 volts at some houses. It doesn't bother the newer LCDs and Plasmas as they are rated at a wide operating voltage.

Wizard256
10-19-2010, 08:26 PM
RCA eating flys that's only on 32" and 36". CTC195, CTC203 and ATC113 suffered on that due to too marginal fly for the HV needed for 32 and 36". Anything smaller they last long time and excellent picture.

HR diemen or RCA fly do great. Generic fly works but the height is smaller and poor HV stability.

Watch those hot glue on the L14401 for those who are in the know can attest to that. :)

Difference is the we had great service with RCA before brought out few time in last few years. Philips... sigh. Philips need to work with servicers better and deliver parts/warranty service more smartly.

Cheers, Wizard

radiotvnut
10-19-2010, 09:15 PM
There are some later 27" and 32" RCA's that are flyback eaters. The ones I'm familiar with are the ATC010, ITC008, and the M134C chassis sets. These were made in 2003-2007 range.

dieseljeep
10-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Regarding the statement about the CRT's never being bad, the same was true about the Philco 17" portables of the late 50's. Sets were nothing but grief, tuners etc. Didn't dawn on me that the CRT's were same type as used in the 17" Predicta.