View Full Version : Yikes! ARF is down!

Bill Cahill
10-12-2010, 12:18 AM
I was called by two friends tonight, Tony V, and, Don, to inform me that ARF is down!
Yikes!
The miserable people that own the server shut Alan down this morning without a warning, and, to save it from destruction, Alan locked it.
Now, Alan has posted that he is actively searching out a new host.
We have growing ARF withdrawal.
Fortunately, we have two great places to go.....
VideoKarma, and, my little forum. All are welcome at both forums. Manny ARF'ers are members here, and, at my forum...
Please feel free to join there.
http://tuberadio.heavenforum.com/index.htm?sid=43e6cdb28085480f98c8c9de9e96fd7d

Both of these forums are excellent!
Bill Cahill

Eric H
10-12-2010, 01:42 AM
That sucks, I wonder who's hosting it?

The previous company that hosted my Site shut it down with no notice, no nothing, not even a reply from customer service.
It sure as heck wasn't taxing their resources. :-)

I wound up moving it and rebuilding it from my backup files.
I found out later they had a ton of complaints filed against them.

I'm using Hostmonster now and so far so good.

Bill Cahill
10-12-2010, 04:18 AM
I don't know, but, they did it without any warning at all.
It's got alot of people upset....
Dasterdly crooks! :thumbsdn::sigh:
Bill Cahill

RJ Kanary
10-12-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't know if I can survive another day, not knowing which set has got Bill pulling his hair out in large clumps. <VBG> ARF is always my first stop on the computer in the morning. :)

In all seriousness, these sets you guys are bringing back to life were the 'bread & butter' of what my Grand Dad was repairing for a living.

Being young and stupid at that time, I didn't pay much attention when 'Pap' tried to teach me something.

But bits and pieces of the battles he fought, often times brainstorming on the phone with neighboring techs like himself were retained.........that's the sort of thing that the ARF allows me to enjoy when I'm old enough to appreciate and understand it. (Well, some of it, anyway.)

I hope there's a resolution to this situation....before I have to seek medication.

Bill Cahill
10-12-2010, 02:05 PM
No hair pulling, but, on an off note, I finally finnished radio, and, 45 rpm victrola repairs on my RCA combination 6T84.
I tore my hair out last night. Is that helpful??
:lol:
Bill Cahill

Reece
10-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Shucks, I always get on ARF and VK every day. It's like there's a clothespin on my IV tube now, though, radio "fix" to a trickle.... Yesterday I picked up a 1954 GE clock radio for fifteen bucks: not my usual cup of tea but I got it because it's green, and somebody said everybody has to have at least one green radio. This has one of those subchassis partial printed circuits which is a JOY to work on and other kludges but it's still green. :yes: I worked on it a little this afternoon to fill in the IV gap and got it to play a little but it's missing the loop (I patched in some odd coil I had) so I'll have to make one and of course it needs recapped and the 12BE6 has an intermittent short... wait a minute, I'm not s'posed to be talking radio fixin' on this section of the forum, am I? Losing my mind without ARF... :D

Tom Schulz
10-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Yes, I don't know what to do without ARF! I may have to post in Videokarma! Oh, it looks like I just did!

David Roper
10-12-2010, 03:15 PM
There's a small temporary forum (http://antiqueradios.forum5.info/forum.htm) up now.