View Full Version : 1947 GE Model 901 Service Manual

TubeType
10-01-2010, 08:01 PM
I am searching for an original GE service manual for a Model 901 television, FM-AM radio receiver & phonograph set.
The GE document number for this manual is RSM-1 / ER-5-901. It contains about thirty-nine pages and was released in March of 1948.
A high quality scan of the original manual would be appreciated, in lieu of the original document.

Thanks again.

ChuckA
10-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I have a copy of the manual, give me a day or so and I'll scan it and post it on my web site manual section.

Also have RSM-3 bulletin 5/48.

I have them online now at:

http://www.myvintagetv.com/manuals_and_documents.htm

Chuck

TubeType
10-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Good morning Chuck.
Thanks for posting the complete manual and the bulletin for this set on your site. I had the schematic, but restoration of this set will be much easier with the full manual.
I've restored RCA projection sets, but this is my first GE. Have you ever restored a Model 901? Are there any off-the-wall "gotchas" to watch out for?
Thanks,

ChuckA
10-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Yes I restored my 901 a few years ago. The only real problem I had was with the HV board, it had burn tracks from the HV arcing across connections. I was able to get a replacement from a donor set. The rest of the restoration went pretty smooth.

I had the spherical mirror re silvered by Clausing in Chicago.

I have a lot of "donor" parts if you need anything when working on you set.

Chuck

TubeType
10-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks Chuck,

This 901 appears to be in pretty good shape. Nothing appears to be missing or damaged. The finish is like new. The previous owner said the pilot light lens was missing. I'll let you know if I need one from your "donor" set. Thanks for the offer.
This set came with a spare NOS 5TP4; thank God. The getters on the original 5TP4 are white, but the phosphor looks to be in great shape. It’s a good candidate for a rebuild.
I've heard of Clausing Coatings, but have never used them for my mirrors. Will they strip the old coating? Will they re-paint the black, non-reflective, disc in the center of the mirror? What are their rates?

Thanks again

ChuckA
10-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Luckily 5TP4's are fairly common, don't think I'd waste the money on rebuilding one at this time (maybe in the next lifetime). I think I have 6-8 of them around here.

Clausing is a bit more expensive than this place Spectrum Coatings in FL

(http://www.spectrum-coatings.com/)

I paid around $225 for my 901 mirror about 4 years ago. I just brushed some flat black paint for the center.

Chuck