View Full Version : Do You Think Good Estate Sales Are A Dying Breed?

Rental Limo
09-18-2010, 08:01 PM
I just had to ask this because of all the estate sale scores posted on this site. I could picture estate sales 15 years from now selling mostly modern cheap crap compared to well made quality things those who have passed used to cherish, and left behind.

radiotvnut
09-18-2010, 10:07 PM
I can't speak for everywhere else in the country; but, they are generally crap around here. Mostly all I see is clothes, modern particleboard furniture, and crap that should be tossed. When I do see something old, it's usually overpriced (especially if it's an estate sale company running things). The last tube TV that I remember seeing at an estate sale was an early '70's 25" Zenith hybrid color console and that was back around '99 or 2000. It didn't work and I think I gave them $5 for it.

Garage sales are an even bigger joke. Many of the people around here who have garage sales are the younger crowd trying to get rid of their modern junk and a '99 Orion 19" TV would be what they consider "vintage electronics". I've been to other garage sales by older people and with them, I usually hear "oh, we had one; but, we sold that yesterday". On the rare occasion that I go to a sale, I try to pick out the ones in the older neighborhoods.

About a year ago, I managed to get in the house of an older woman who knew a friend of a friend and she was getting ready to have a "living estate sale" so that she could move to a retirement home. The two stereo's were a late '60's POS Symphonic console and a mid '80's black "all in one" cube. She did have an early '40's Silvertone battery radio that was beat up; but, it had a battery eliminator inside. I think I gave her $20 for it.

20 years ago, garage and estate sales were much better around here. Back then, many of the people that were born before 1930 were still with us and there was no ebay or other online means to dispose of items. I could often buy good stuff for cheap and I didn't have to hear, "I'm not selling you that for $5 when I can put it on ebay and get hundreds of dollars".

Now, many of the older folks who had older items are no longer with us and much of what items remain end up on ebay and are never offered at estate or yard sales. Sometimes, I'll get lucky and get something at the flea market; but, most of my goodies come from either ebay or from other collectors.

Rental Limo
09-18-2010, 10:29 PM
I can't speak for everywhere else in the country; but, they are generally crap around here. Mostly all I see is clothes, modern particleboard furniture, and crap that should be tossed. When I do see something old, it's usually overpriced (especially if it's an estate sale company running things). The last tube TV that I remember seeing at an estate sale was an early '70's 25" Zenith hybrid color console and that was back around '99 or 2000. It didn't work and I think I gave them $5 for it.

Garage sales are an even bigger joke. Many of the people around here who have garage sales are the younger crowd trying to get rid of their modern junk and a '99 Orion 19" TV would be what they consider "vintage electronics". I've been to other garage sales by older people and with them, I usually hear "oh, we had one; but, we sold that yesterday". On the rare occasion that I go to a sale, I try to pick out the ones in the older neighborhoods.

About a year ago, I managed to get in the house of an older woman who knew a friend of a friend and she was getting ready to have a "living estate sale" so that she could move to a retirement home. The two stereo's were a late '60's POS Symphonic console and a mid '80's black "all in one" cube. She did have an early '40's Silvertone battery radio that was beat up; but, it had a battery eliminator inside. I think I gave her $20 for it.

20 years ago, garage and estate sales were much better around here. Back then, many of the people that were born before 1930 were still with us and there was no ebay or other online means to dispose of items. I could often buy good stuff for cheap and I didn't have to hear, "I'm not selling you that for $5 when I can put it on ebay and get hundreds of dollars".

Now, many of the older folks who had older items are no longer with us and much of what items remain end up on ebay and are never offered at estate or yard sales. Sometimes, I'll get lucky and get something at the flea market; but, most of my goodies come from either ebay or from other collectors.

When searching on Craigslist nowadays i usually look for estate sales mostly, and when i see a garage sale posting that looks interesting i usually scout it out along with checking out a few other sales around that area as long as i am there. You never know what you find, but i get tired of driving around from sale to sale finding the same thing. Mostly modern crap, and clothing. If i find tools for extremely cheap that i already have i grab them since i keep loosing the suckers like utility knives, and odd wrenches. One thing for sure is if you see a great deal grab it because great deals are hard to come by. I particularly search for items i can resell, but im a little more picky than i was in 2008. Things are just not selling like they used too. One time i made over 75 dollars selling things i found in one trash pile.

marty59
09-18-2010, 10:43 PM
The only good estate sales in the future will be the ones that take place because something happens to us!

Rental Limo
09-18-2010, 10:48 PM
The only good estate sales in the future will be the ones that take place because something happens to us!

I just thought of that Back To The Future movie where they go into the future, and at an antique shop their is a Dustbuster for sale lol.

radiotvnut
09-18-2010, 10:56 PM
One thing I have learned is to always ask questions, no matter if you see something of interest or not. In years past, I've told people at yard sales what I was interested in and, sometimes, they would say, "I have an old 'whatever' in the house/storage shed and I didn't even put it out because I didn't figure anyone would want it".

A long time ago, I used to pick up more modern TV's, fix them, and sell them. 15-20 years ago, I could make good money at this as even 12" B&W sets would bring $20-$30 back then and 19" color sets would bring between $75-$100. Now, many of these sets are hard to give away and are not worth my effort. In general, I think people have gotten more snooty about what they will buy. Back then, most people who were buying used TV's didn't care what it was just as long as it worked. Now, everybody thinks they have to have the latest HDTV, even if it means maxing out the credit card to get it.

My flea market friend still hits yard/garage/estate sales for the sole purpose of buying things to resell. He recently bought two Funai built DVD/VCR combinations for fifty cents each. He asked me to check them and one worked fine, while the other one had a bad bearing in the head motor; but, the DVD worked. He said he was going to try and get $15 for the good one and $10 for the one with only a working DVD player.

To show how out of touch with reality some people are, the same friend was at a yard sale and they wanted $25 for one of those last gasp 5" battery operated B&W TV's that cost $14.99 new. At another sale, he saw an older beat up console TV that had one of the legs broken off and they wanted $25 for that. He still sees records at many sales; but, they are not 25 cents to a dollar anymore. Now, they want $3/up for scratched up "101 strings" and "living brass" albums.

So, if you're looking for vintage electronics, now is the time to get them. I suspect in 10-20 years, even a '70's digital flip clock radio will be hard to find.

radiotvnut
09-18-2010, 11:01 PM

Good point; but, whoever is left to clean out this house after I'm gone will likely rent a roll off dumpster. I'd better get a list of names and numbers together and tell my relatives to call whoever is on that list and tell them to "have at it". I'm not interested in getting rich or making any relatives rich off this stuff. I'd much rather it go to someone who will appreciate it instead of the stuff going in the dump.

marty59
09-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Good point; but, whoever is left to clean out this house after I'm gone will likely rent a roll off dumpster. I'd better get a list of names and numbers together and tell my relatives to call whoever is on that list and tell them to "have at it". I'm not interested in getting rich or making any relatives rich off this stuff. I'd much rather it go to someone who will appreciate it instead of the stuff going in the dump.

Dittos..I'm right with 'ya on that! My nephews would love to have something that belonged to "Uncle Marty".

Rental Limo
09-19-2010, 01:46 AM
One thing I have learned is to always ask questions, no matter if you see something of interest or not. In years past, I've told people at yard sales what I was interested in and, sometimes, they would say, "I have an old 'whatever' in the house/storage shed and I didn't even put it out because I didn't figure anyone would want it".

A long time ago, I used to pick up more modern TV's, fix them, and sell them. 15-20 years ago, I could make good money at this as even 12" B&W sets would bring $20-$30 back then and 19" color sets would bring between $75-$100. Now, many of these sets are hard to give away and are not worth my effort. In general, I think people have gotten more snooty about what they will buy. Back then, most people who were buying used TV's didn't care what it was just as long as it worked. Now, everybody thinks they have to have the latest HDTV, even if it means maxing out the credit card to get it.

My flea market friend still hits yard/garage/estate sales for the sole purpose of buying things to resell. He recently bought two Funai built DVD/VCR combinations for fifty cents each. He asked me to check them and one worked fine, while the other one had a bad bearing in the head motor; but, the DVD worked. He said he was going to try and get $15 for the good one and $10 for the one with only a working DVD player.

To show how out of touch with reality some people are, the same friend was at a yard sale and they wanted $25 for one of those last gasp 5" battery operated B&W TV's that cost $14.99 new. At another sale, he saw an older beat up console TV that had one of the legs broken off and they wanted $25 for that. He still sees records at many sales; but, they are not 25 cents to a dollar anymore. Now, they want $3/up for scratched up "101 strings" and "living brass" albums.

So, if you're looking for vintage electronics, now is the time to get them. I suspect in 10-20 years, even a '70's digital flip clock radio will be hard to find.

FYI their is still cheap vinyl out there. You just have to be in the right place at the right time, but you are definately right about the pricing aspect. Most LP's i find for sale are priced for a dollar average, but every once in awhile their is someone that is trying to make an instant heavy buck. If its something that is in pristine shape/rare i may spend the extra bucks, but most of the time i spend a dollar or less for LP's. Its amazing to see how many people think they are sitting on a goldmine if they have an old Beatles LP, and with the prices they are asking you can buy ones in better condition on the bay.

AUdubon5425
09-19-2010, 10:07 AM
I always like it when I see "rare" Beatles records at a sale. I mean they only sold millions of them...how many could be left???

Sandy G
09-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Surely to God somebody will look at my Boatanchors & decide that they are something worthy of keeping; Same thing w/my TVs & other radios...I mean, even the PHYSICAL difference between an R-390A & a modern Craptastic Anything Else is like the difference between Lightning & Lightning Bug...

Dan Starnes
09-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Memo to all. My estate sale will be a doozy. Wish I could be there. For some reason I do not sell anything. Just tell people to keep an eye out for my estate sale.

zenithfan1
09-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Ya'll ain't plannin' on dyin' soon are ya'?? Hope not:D

holmesuser01
09-20-2010, 12:12 PM
I have a feeling that when I expire, somehow my DuMont and my Magnavox B/W consoles will be sitting outside with a big FREE sign on them. My relatives think that I am nuts for fixing this old junk. BUT, they always call me when their junk is not working!

JCFitz
09-28-2010, 06:22 PM
You all are lucky you can go to estate sales and garage sales. I have to work on saturdays when most estate sales and garage sales are held.Guess that's why I have a hard time finding anything at all.

dieseljeep
09-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Anyone that can't make it to weekend estate sales aren't missing much. The way the people are pricing today is according to listings on EBAY or other auction sites. If you try bargaining, they tell you at our price you don't have to pay shipping. They even have the nerve to place an EBAY listing copy on the item. Regards, Dave.

Rental Limo
09-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Anyone that can't make it to weekend estate sales aren't missing much. The way the people are pricing today is according to listings on EBAY or other auction sites. If you try bargaining, they tell you at our price you don't have to pay shipping. They even have the nerve to place an EBAY listing copy on the item. Regards, Dave.

In my experience family ran estate sales are the best although a few estate sale companies price things pretty reasonable. I picked up my Magnavox portable tube stereo record player at a family ran estate sale for 5 bucks with the factory cart. The player needed some work, but with the help of a parts Micromatic record changer it now works/sounds great. I only had to buy a new needle since the one that was on there was rounded.

AUdubon5425
09-30-2010, 02:56 AM
I was at a family run estate sale last year - I brought six or seven Roman Catholic daily missals dating from 1945-1966 to the checkout. They weren't priced - one sister at the register said $10 apiece :yikes: So when I picked one out of the stack to buy another sister bagged the rest and handed them to me. She obviously was more sensible and wanted as little as possible left.

I passed on a honkin-big stereo Webcor "portable" reel-to-reel at that sale - sometimes I do leave some goodies for the next guy :D

dieseljeep
09-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Every time

Every time I see a cash register at an estate sale I want to run the other way. They're determined to squeeze the last dime out of everything there. When bargaining it was usually the older sister that was more reasonable.